68 fastback - Marko's old car - bits n bobs!

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
kinga

68 fastback - Marko's old car - bits n bobs!

Post by kinga » 12th September 2016 - 9:10pm

Hi all,

A couple of months ago, I stumbled across a really nice 68 fastback for sale.

Managed to get the wife to (well, sort of!) agree to sell our (her?) beetle, which was very nice, to buy this fastback.

Drove a round trip of 680 miles to buy it, but it was worth the drive.

It's mint and it drives so nice, first time i've ever driven a type 3.

I'm afraid i can't report on any restoration work to be done by me as there is none!

I have deliberately referred to this as Marko's old car as, whilst it is now mine, Marko should take all the credit for the amazing work he has done on it to bring it up to the condition it is in now.

So, all I can really report on is the bits'n;bobs I do on the car to put my stamp on it - not really a lot I can do, but thought you m ay like to see the bibs n' bobs I do.

So, here's how I bought the car, exactly as Marko left it, condition wise, when he finished restoring it a couple of years ago, albeit now possibly a touch higher & on stock rims/hub caps.

Height wise, I do like my cars lowered (the beetle was lowered, as is my 64 bus) but I reckon the fasty is spot on, and it drives so well I am gonna leave well alone (although if I put some adjustable spring plates on the back, I could drop it down an inch...look, here I go again)...

Just out of interest, here's my bus...

So, first job is to get some tunes in it, as there's currently no stereo.

I wanted a stock look, so was looking out for an OEM radio with MP3 connectivity - whilst we were on holiday recently in Norfolk, I decided to bite the bullet & buy a RetroSound, so ordered it whilst I was away, so I had something to look forward to when the holiday was over.

Came home to this pile of bits..

Which soon turned into this..

It's a Retrosound Hermosa, so FM, MP3, MP3, Bluetooth - you buy the unit then buy the relevant face plate/knobs separately - I chose the type 3/Karmann Ghia facplate with the chrome rear knobs & black/silver Blaupunkt 'Classic' looking front knobe.

Made a bracket to support the stereo under the centre of the dash..

Made it out of some quite heavy gauge steel so it was reasonably robust, but then decided to lighten it (hence the holes) as it was a bit on the heavy side.

Just finished mounting it this evening (not wired it up yet) so apologies for the photos which are a bit crap as I took them in the dark. I will take some better ones when I get chance in the light but hopefully you get the picture..

Bought a hidden aerial so I don't have to drill through the front wings, and I also wanted to hide the speakers.

When I was on holiday a few years back in Weymouth we went to car boot sale and I found some speakers still in the box - paid £3 for them so thought I would use those.

When I opened the box, I found the 6 month guarantee ran out in July 1988, so they have been in the box for 28 years - perfect!

Made some boxes out of some old board I had knocking about in the garage, covered them in some old carpet I took out of an old bus and mounted the speakers - they fit under the seat perfectly.

Not expecting to win any sound-offs but reckon the set up should be ok for some reasonable sounds.

Will post up again when I do any other little jobs, like maybe some alloys....

Like I say, no big resto thread but thought you may enjoy some tinkering stories.

kinga

Re: 68 fastback - Marko's old car - bits n bobs!

Post by kinga » 13th September 2016 - 8:19pm

better photo..

Marko

Post by Marko » 13th September 2016 - 8:29pm

glad it still looks amazing! everyone I speak to always comments on how crazy I was to sell it! well there's nothing I can do about that now!

by the way I still have the sub box I built for this in the loft, if ever you fell the need for a sub you can have it! (collection only though).

here's a link to the audio I did in it!

https://www.talkstuff.net/ipb/index.php ... ct/page-17
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

kinga

Post by kinga » 15th September 2016 - 5:47pm

Thanks for the offer Mark - will bear it in mind if I am ever in your neck of the woods, but bit too far to make a special journey to collect it!

Some good work going on there with the stereo - bet that sounded ok!

My set up won't be very powerful, but hoping it should be ok for some 'background' music!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 16th September 2016 - 1:38pm

hello mate

you got yaself a lovely motor there, i followed markos thread and he carried out some very nice work on her (and at some pace as well)..doesn't matter what little bits you do to her its always nice to keep up with the story as it goes on, so keep it coming..

col..
You Love It.!!!

kinga

Post by kinga » 27th November 2016 - 10:13am

Couldn't really decide on wheels (I am a bit of a wheel junkie & always changing my mind!).

I do like the stock look, but wanted to put my own stamp on the car, so I was looking out for some gas burners.

Couldn't find any used ones, then my mate told me that the guy who he has just sold his beetle to is taking the repro sprintstars off, so I had them off him.

They came with brand new tyres, but the sizes were all wrong for my suspension set up - it had 165/65/15s on the front, ideal for a slammed type 3, but as mine only looks to have been lowered a smidge, there was too much of a gap between the top of the tyre & the wheel arch at the front. Also there were 155/80 on the back which looked a bit too narrow for the rear.

So, I put the 155s on the front & had some 185/65/15s I had knocking about fitted for the back.

I reckon it looks about spot on for my use now - its not that low but the car gets used with the whole family & we have a lot of speed bumps where we are (I have had rubbing issues with the beetle I sold to buy this fasty & also on my bus so nice not to have any rubbing issues on this!)..

Marko

Post by Marko » 27th November 2016 - 10:18am

looks spot on, very nice indeed!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

col1600

Post by col1600 » 27th November 2016 - 10:40am

You'll need oxygen your up that High!!!

Its sometimes horses for courses, it needs to be practical for family use, I bet It rides like a dream..
You Love It.!!!

kinga

Post by kinga » 27th November 2016 - 6:48pm

lol.

Does drive like a dream, yes.

Maybe like it an inch lower, but not inclined to mess around with inner & outer splines at the mo..

but never say never!

kinga

Post by kinga » 20th February 2017 - 9:14pm

Just fitted my new pressie to myself - NOS mudflaps.

Spent some time trying to get them to fit spot on, as I have OCD when it comes to things needing to be straight and look just right.

I had to fit a couple of small brackets to drop the mudflaps down a smidge on the inside.

I have not drilled any holes in the arch and not sure I am going to need to..the are quite firm thanks to the rubber lip which slips over the inside of the arch.

Will try and get some better piccies from further away, but close up..

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 11th July 2017 - 9:03pm

they look very smart sir. always been a fan of mud flaps. I think it comes from my love of rallying in the good ole days!
The sultan of swing

kinga

Post by kinga » 14th July 2017 - 9:52pm

Top 10 trophy at Deva a couple of weeks back - well chuffed!

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 10th December 2018 - 8:53pm

I,m thinking of these rims for my fasty, I like the look.

So question for the knowledgeable out there. Current stock rims are
41/2 J with a 46mm offset 4x130,
What spec Sprintstars am I looking for.

I see this,
http://www.air-cooled-parts.com/cat/pro ... 25-p-47722

But its specced as a 5x15 with an offset of 25mm, which seems to me to move the wheel nearer to the wing,
if I am looking at this right, which I am probably not :)

Is this a correct type for my stock fasty,
Thanks

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 10th December 2018 - 10:01pm

You are correct, you'll have half an inch extra wheel. I would assume 1/4 inch each side of center. and then about 20mm off set further to the the outboard side of the car. I dont expect anyone makes a type 3 sprint star. They will all be made for beetles, which had 40mm off set of i recall? Ive got an original set of sprint stars. I will have to check them at the weekend and see what spec they are. They have never caused me any problems so that might be your answer
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 10th December 2018 - 10:05pm

I imagine an extra inch outboard is pushing the possibility of it rubbing the wing??

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 10th December 2018 - 10:09pm

According to Coolair,

Each wheel is 5" wide with a diameter of 15".
The 25mm offset on these wheels makes them an easy fit for all Late Bugs, Karmann Ghia's and Type 3 Variants including Squareback, Notchback and Fastback models.
Sold complete with centre cap and bolts.

So good to go with this choice then

jake@facewest.co.uk

Post by jake@facewest.co.uk » 10th December 2018 - 10:16pm

Most aftermarket wheels are beetle based and have similar 20mm offset.

As Broady says that will take you about an inch toward the outer wing.

These have a 35mm offset:

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac601028bp-s ... 5-vw-spare

Might be worth a look.

Cheers

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 10th December 2018 - 10:23pm

Nice, but I prefer the Sprintstars to be honest.

kinga

Post by kinga » 29th January 2019 - 8:38am

Hi.
My sprintstars are mws copies and they fit perfect, no rubbing. They came off my mates beetle.
I have 155x15 tyres on front & 185/65x15 on rear.
I did need a pair of 5mm wheel spacers on the front to clear the brake calipers.

Marko

Post by Marko » 29th January 2019 - 3:55pm

I miss this car so much, what was I thinking selling it! glad it's still been well taken cared of and loved ☺
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

kinga

Post by kinga » 29th January 2019 - 6:21pm

Its a total gem mate.
Sold the wife's car a couple of weeks ago..don't like using the fasty in the winter but had to go to work in it then over to view a new car for her...started up straight away after a couple of months, and drove 130 miles in it at zero degrees without missing a beat.
May sell you the car back..if the price is right lol ;)