Casa de Fye's autos...

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
vwfye

Re: Case de Fye's autos...

Post by vwfye » 6th January 2014 - 1:19am

After church today, I was able to do a bit more work on the EFI. Pulled the TBs and started working on the fuel rails. This system came off of a type 1 with the injectors in the manifolds. The TBs were modified for the injectors and I finally got to the rails. The only thing left is to find a 1/2" npt tap to install the ends on the rails.
I also was able to set the the butterfly gaps per the manual and install the air cleaners.
If I can locate a tap, I will hook up the feed line to the left TB tomorrow and then work out the fuel return line to the old hard fuel line back to the tank.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 7th January 2014 - 1:32am

Had to change the fuel rail, so here is the redo.

Final fuel line work will happen Saturday... After payday. All that is left is to mount the brain and a/f meter brain and get all the harness laid out. Closer...
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 7th January 2014 - 10:53pm

The harness is pulled... 4 wires have to be identified, but it is there!
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 15th January 2014 - 6:33am

Tapped the ends of the fuel rails tonight. I will get them cleaned of any metal fragments tomorrow and do the final assembly with thread sealant.
The next issue to address is how to secure the rails so they don't come loose and spray the engine bay.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 18th January 2014 - 10:32pm

The conversion to EFI continues. I was able to build the rest of the needed fuel system and come up with an idea for rail holders. Tonight I will cut the holders out and test fit. If, and that is a BIG if, the TBs will get a final mounting tomorrow evening!
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 20th January 2014 - 5:00am

I built the rough outlines tonight for the keepers in carbon fiber. Tomorrow I will clean them up on a sander and cut the 1.75" holes. It looks like I will need to add at least a stiffening ridge as it still flexes. But!!! I'm getting closer!
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

Chino

Post by Chino » 20th January 2014 - 9:15am

Keep up the good work, enjoying reading your progress :)

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 21st January 2014 - 2:53am

I think these will work! And, they are super, super light... They extend across the top of the TB and are secured with 4 bolts.

64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 19th March 2014 - 6:47am

The notch speedster fired up this evening on old varnishy gas! Hoping to drive it around the neighborhood some next week.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

Editor

Post by Editor » 19th March 2014 - 1:38pm

Any chance we may see you at the Invasion, Brian? Keith has a spare Type 3 to get there. You could drive Annie!
Dave.

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 19th March 2014 - 3:55pm

I will not be attending this time Dave. It is painful seeing it all in motion, but I made a promise to my girls...
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th March 2014 - 1:45am

I remember you said Colorado would be your last one, but just hoped... Maybe someone can hook up a live feed to the web.
Dave.

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 3rd July 2014 - 3:15am

Purple notch progress:
ECU and AFM are all wired up! 2 mystery wires left to figure out (labels are missing) and some grounds for the engine case to set up.
Next is to run the return fuel line to the compartment and mount the fuel pressure regulator.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

Editor

Post by Editor » 3rd July 2014 - 2:04pm

... or you could 'just' drop in a VR6 engine, like the guy at the Invasion did with his Fastback. It could have been fun to see him do a fast lap or two at Watkins Glen without having to stay in the line of 'slow' Type 3s.

I confess to not taking much interest in the tech session on a megasquirt conversion. I did look at an engine bay with the dreaded single carb conversion that sticks up into the load-bay floor of a Squareback - ugly thing to do!
Dave.

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 3rd July 2014 - 3:57pm

For where this engine is headed (turbo), the EFI makes sense. It will be blow through and much more drive able.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 5th July 2014 - 11:48pm

Purple notch engine pulled to deal with heads, tins and EFI

White square engine is in shortblock form needing 1 head

Red notch engine is waiting for cylinder spacers and then assembly...

I hope that by the end of the week I will have at least 1 of the 3 done and by the end of next week, the other two! I hope!
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 6th July 2014 - 2:48am

Heads on the purple notch are done! Next, on to the tins...
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 10th July 2014 - 8:10am

Had to spend unexpected time today on the Speedster Notch: It was not running on 4 cylinders today and I needed it for a car show. (missed it)... Anyway, these EMPI 44 carbs have been driving me nuts!

Alrighty... just went through every exhaust and intake nut or bolt. On top of that, the carb linkage is set up with calipers, angles and are exactly set up to each other.
The timing is steady with the 009 at 8.5 at idle and 29 at 2200 rpm. Each plug has good spark... nothing weak.
Each pipe on the header is within 5 degrees of each other in temp.
If this doesn't take care of the off idle banging and decel banging, I'll just take the 3lb sledge to my head. I have no idea what else to check.
Idle jets are 57s, so I don't think I'm lean when the butterflies are snapping shut. Oigh, this is driving me NUTS
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

Editor

Post by Editor » 10th July 2014 - 1:21pm

Hair-tearing stuff, Brian. Jim spent much of the Sunday at the Invasion finding fault after fault on Sarah's car. Still not sure what exactly was going wrong, but was a combination of problems. I guess I've had some puzzling carb situations, but the oddest was a piece of rubber hose that had detached and sometimes blocked the needle valve, but not always!
Dave.

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 11th July 2014 - 7:24am

found a possible issue. can't find sign of exhaust leaking, but the mid engine header pipes going to the collector don't seem to be seated the entire depth. apparently, way back when I had it built, the muffler man only put one support for the dynomax muffler. with the weight of that thing, I will need to find another spot to mount a strap so it isn't all on one pivot point. even if that isnt the cause, I don't like the set up.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 13th July 2014 - 8:26am

Only did one Graffiti event this week, but I should have the 2110cc stuffed back in the purple notch Sunday evening with a better laid out fuel system, repaired and replaces tins, newly routed breather set up, ratio rockers, oil leak sorted and a fresh tune up.
I will also have an engine ready for the squareback by next Saturday. So, it was worth it.
Also, the speedster notch is finally running hard again!
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 14th July 2014 - 4:32am

very good evening! engine is back in the purple car and all i need is fuel, oil to put the front seats back in.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 15th July 2014 - 1:59am

I came home and added oil to the purple car. Started it up check everything over to make sure it was okay, and found oil gushing out from underneath the engine! Jacked up the back, crawled under, and found one of my brand new oil lines had split. Got out the bucket, took off the old line and lost some oil, put the new line and clamps on, fired it back up. It seems to be ok, i still have to adjust the idle, add the seats, and then go for a test drive.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 9th September 2014 - 6:56pm

Sorry to have been away so long. I've been soul searching and trying to decide how much I want to continue to invest in my hobbies (not just VW). After some time, I believe I will scale back quite a bit and focus on just two VWs, the purple notch and the pink notch. Everything else will be sold off, and I will work to get these cars just where I want them.
That said, the pink car will be getting some modifications over the winter so that I can safely and NHRA legally make some passes down the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. It will get a new cage, the EFI that was going into the purple car and some other minor tweaks.
The purple car will more than likely get a stock transmission put back in it and even perhaps a stock engine while I tear into the 2110 to source what is wrong with it.
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 26th September 2014 - 5:28pm

64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III
------