Easys 1964 RHD Notch (Ralph!)

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
easy

Easys 1964 RHD Notch (Ralph!)

Post by easy » 29th October 2007 - 11:24am

Finally made a purchase! 8)

Here he is 8) currently with a few 1500s bits on, and a weird 1300 tpe 1 engine with type 3 bits and 1300 heads??? anyway going to 1600 soon.

I know it was a feature car in Volksworld in 1990, but dont know to much more about the history other than its a bit of a rare old chap ;)

Got a few bits to sort out, but is staying fairly stock, just need some new rubbers and odds n bods. Plus gonna have a look at sorting out a new set of seats etc 8)

I blinking love it! ace to drive and a real pleasure to own 8) :D

If anybody has anymore info about it please let me know :D
Chrome doesnt get you home...

Ultimate VDub Family

Post by Ultimate VDub Family » 29th October 2007 - 2:19pm

sorry no info for you. but its a lovely looking car youve got yourself there :D

easy

Post by easy » 29th October 2007 - 2:36pm

cheers chap :D i loves it! 8)

Ultimate VDub Family

Post by Ultimate VDub Family » 29th October 2007 - 2:45pm

easy wrote:cheers chap :D i loves it! 8)
*coughs* chap-ess please ;) :?

easy

Post by easy » 29th October 2007 - 2:50pm

sorry dooodette! :oops:

The notch is already in the garage for a service and check over, have noticed a few things that need sorting so I have a friend who is a perfrmance engine builder by trade, having a look at it today.

He has a rolling road and a lift so makes it all a bit easier 8)

Gonna start tidying it up aswell and get the old rust bullet and red oxide out 8)

Ultimate VDub Family

Post by Ultimate VDub Family » 29th October 2007 - 2:53pm

sounds cool, make sure you keep us updated with a nice little resto thread!!

luckily guys down at southwest splitz gave ours a good going over and service before we drove it away nowt to do really (good job with 5 other VWs needing work) :)

easy

Post by easy » 29th October 2007 - 2:55pm

I know what you mean :shock: keeps you busy. I am going to keep this pretty much stock, slammed but stock, and try and source some original 1500 seats aswell, even tho the current ones are super comfy 8)

Ultimate VDub Family

Post by Ultimate VDub Family » 29th October 2007 - 3:00pm

yeh thats one thing you can say about these notches seats are great for long journeys!!! cant go 30 mins in a modern car without my back hurting! :(

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 29th October 2007 - 5:23pm

Glad to hear your enjoying your Notch 8)

As well as being featured in Volksworld, it was also in VW Motoring some time in the mid '80's when Alan Martin ( at that time he ran the Notchback Register, now its run By Brian Johnston ) will have a look through my Magazines when time allows to let you know which one,

Danny.
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

Fastlife

Post by Fastlife » 29th October 2007 - 7:54pm

that is a cool notch 8)
If at 1st you dont succeed...........it probably wasnt worth it, just say f*ck it & go get a beer!

easy

Post by easy » 29th October 2007 - 8:29pm

Danny Lord wrote:Glad to hear your enjoying your Notch 8)

As well as being featured in Volksworld, it was also in VW Motoring some time in the mid '80's when Alan Martin ( at that time he ran the Notchback Register, now its run By Brian Johnston ) will have a look through my Magazines when time allows to let you know which one,

Danny.
Cheers Danny 8) let me know if you dig it out, I will have to try and source a copy ;) a good history on your motor is ace. 8)

easy

Post by easy » 29th October 2007 - 8:37pm

Oh forgot :oops:

Quick update for today.....

As you know ive just bought the notch, but i will be using it as me daily drive, so straight to work on the old fella was needed.

Today...

Full service on engine and gearbox.....tick!
Sort out whats needed for the heating (its rubbish).......tick!
New rear drums and brakes..............tick!
Make a list of little odds n sods....

Tomorrow/Wednesday..
New rubber bushes on front beam as knackered!
New throttle & heater cables as rubbish!
Find all pipes to do with the heating as they are ALL missing! :roll:
Clean and tidy interior!

thats all for now! 8)

easy

Post by easy » 6th November 2007 - 11:10am

There is a picture of Ralph and the old owner in this months Volksworld! :D

**UPDATE**
Engine is now tuned and running a million times better (the timing was way out!) new points and condenser as they were fried! :shock: and new air filters / pipes. All set for the road hopefully tomorrow.

Also taken the spare wheel for a shock blasting and then to be sprayed. Nothing like a nice new spare! 8)

The main next job is to sort out some sort of music. I am thinking of Ipod to amp and speakers, with a spare battery and split charger. I think this will work best as it means I dont need to do any cutting of dash etc and wont be scene from the outside ;)

Phew! :roll:

easy

Post by easy » 16th November 2007 - 2:49pm

**Update Time**

Have given him a good tidy up and i can honestly say that I have found NO nasties!! :shock: solid as you like! ace!!!

I have had the spare wheel sand blasted and resprayed, plus new tyres fitted to the rear as the fronts are new. Got some new in tyres aswell, check these bad boys out!! mean as you like!!!

195 50 15s schweeeeet!

Gonna stick to the road like glue!! and just got in the arches thank goodness!

and just fitted in here, with a bit of squeezing!

Next on the list is the beam bushes and steering dampner. Then its a new custom stainless exhaust to make him sound much better than the rusty "silent my arse pack" thats on there at the moment. 8)

easy

Post by easy » 5th December 2007 - 10:21am

Right its approaching beam time! coming out on Monday, hopefully wont find to many horrors but will probably change all of the joints etc to be on the safe side. 8)

Rich Oakley

Post by Rich Oakley » 10th December 2007 - 2:19pm

Back in the mid-80s, when I was just a wee schoolboy, my dad came home from work and commented...

"one of my colleagues turned up to work this morning in a really strange VW. It looks like a fastback, but with a boot on it- I have never seen one before."

...my dad's colleague was Alan Martin. I believe this is the same car.

Just as a side note, in the early 90s, a mate of mine (who I haven't seen for years), bought a RHD '64 Nutria Brown Notch from Alan Martin. It had covered 20,000 miles from new. It hasn't seen the light of day since about 1993.

easy

Post by easy » 11th December 2007 - 10:44am

Rich Oakley wrote:Back in the mid-80s, when I was just a wee schoolboy, my dad came home from work and commented...

"one of my colleagues turned up to work this morning in a really strange VW. It looks like a fastback, but with a boot on it- I have never seen one before."

...my dad's colleague was Alan Martin. I believe this is the same car.

Just as a side note, in the early 90s, a mate of mine (who I haven't seen for years), bought a RHD '64 Nutria Brown Notch from Alan Martin. It had covered 20,000 miles from new. It hasn't seen the light of day since about 1993.
Quality history for me notch, gonna have to write a book soon.....

The life and times of Ralph! :D :lol: ;)

easy

Post by easy » 13th December 2007 - 12:23pm

Well its been a busy week :roll: with a few suprises along the way. :(

Beam out Monday and new bearings etc and all went well :D

Next up was to check out an oil leak and that turned out to be split cv joints :roll: so they were replaced and all was fine (especially after refilling the gearbox as it was down due to the leak).

The notch was then up on the ramp and running to check all was fine. When suddenly a clunk and a grind and a rattle and a quick run to shut the engine off :shock: clutch pedal had nothing there atall, which is a huge boo and thoughts were the clutch release bearing had bust.

As you know the only way to sort that problem is engine out time! :cry: so the engine is out and the clutch release bearing was in billion bits!! :shock: so its a new clutch and an uprated release as the old ones have a reliability problem (apparently!)

Bits all ordered and should be arriving today. Then its all gonna be back in by Saturday as I want to go on the Bristol cruise on Sunday ;) What a blinking pain before crimbo, but thats VWs for you :roll:

easy

Post by easy » 19th December 2007 - 11:59am

**UPDATE*

Engine back in, new clutch etc all fitted and running like a dream! even sneeked a new steering damper on aswell so all is super fine :D

Makes the journey into work much better now ;)

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th December 2007 - 12:45am

Nothing quite as satisfying as getting it all back in and finding it's working nicely again.
Well done!

easy

Post by easy » 20th December 2007 - 3:20pm

Cheers Editor, its ace when he is back and running, just in time to get me bits frozen in the frost :roll: ;) :lol: 8)

easy

Post by easy » 17th January 2008 - 4:41pm

Right going to adjust the clutch tomorrow as its started to do a tiny crunch in first when its warm. :roll:

I have now started doing work on the new engine to go in. At the moment its just stripping the spare engine and starting the sand blasting, cleaning and powdercoating process on all the tinware that I got from a great friend for free! 8) will pay him in cider tho at some shows ;)

Took off the exhaust, heat boxes, coil etc which took ages and they had been on from the 70`s!

Have decided to make a quality 1776!!! :shock: for him, I have another great friend who is going to help me, as my engine building skills are not what they should be. I will post some pics up as I go.

Looking forward to having a nice reliable engine in Ralph for a change ;) .

easy

Post by easy » 21st January 2008 - 9:19am

Right then, have started the new engine :D Going to make a nice torky 1776 ;)

Started striping down the old engine I have for the project. Its a good clean engine and looks brand new underneath, but on top someone has sprayed the whole thing with a can of gold paint :shock: even sprayed the spark plug ends :roll:

Here is the 1600 im gonna convert.

then started to take all the bits off, exhaust, heat exchangers etc.

I have sourced some perfect condition tinware from a friend so dont need to worry to much about missing bits. Have also got a new fan shroud in A1 condition so this one is for the spares pile ;)

The air filter support was bent all out of shape :roll:

Have now removed the filter support, and coil clamp, have straightened, sanded, and primered, I am going to paint them on weds (work on notch night!) the engine is going to be Ruby red (same as bodywork and satin black) just so looking forward to getting rid of that horrible gold and pillar box red scheme!)

easy

Post by easy » 25th February 2008 - 3:05pm

Engine now all stripped and in the engine builders for compression testing etc. Gonna be a nice twin carbed 1776 on its way, oh and a manual choke for those cold winter mornings! 8)

The carbs are the same ones as used on a AC cobra! :shock: ;) 8)

Should suite me very well for work! 8)

easy

Post by easy » 11th April 2008 - 9:38am

**good & Bad update**

Have ordered the bits for the engine, change of mind on the carbs and its twin weber 40s time!, plus got all the other goodies like engle cam etc for the new engine. The new engine case has been cleaned, dipped and is being sorted for the new parts.

At Volksworld I sorted out with T3D a new beam! drum to drum! should be arriving any day :D and new shocks for the mix

Bad bit :cry: gearbox died on me the other day and is waiting to get the engine out again.

I am now going to get the gear box rebuilt for the 1776 and to elimate any future probs, blinking typical. Didnt think I had to do this much work :roll: oh well thats VWs for you.

At least in the next few months it will have a new beam, New brakes all round, and I have put in new lines all round, front to back and NOS master cylinder and NOS wheel cylinders. :D

New engine and gearbox exhaust and all the bits, plus I have just changed all the cables aswell, acc, clutch and hand brake.

Blinking new car now! but will be worth it in the end 8) ;)