project 72 fastty

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
fastty

Post by fastty » 29th May 2008 - 9:07pm

cheers nidge,going all out to do something a bit different.finnished deguttering other side of roof tonight only door and wing to do then its sorting out both bottom corners around the engine mounts.been in touch with type3 detectives today about the front bumper,should be here in a couple of weeks.cant wait to see how its going to look with all the bits bolted on,more pics soon.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 30th May 2008 - 5:17pm

has any one got a set of one piece door windows and cal look window rubbers could you please let me know as i need them,cheers fastty
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 1st June 2008 - 10:14pm

slowly coming together,car all in one piece and looking goodImageImageImage
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 4th June 2008 - 11:06pm

more welding done tonight,done all passenger side rear(around engine mounts)and smoothed vent of other back wing.rear tyres came today 235x35x19,look mint on the new rims and seem to fit with no problems.i have a full stainless steal 4 into 1 and j pipes with stainless back boxes, i would like to swap for a good pair of heat exchangers. if any ones interested please let me know,more pics soon. cheers fastty
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 5th June 2008 - 10:38pm

ImageImageImageImagedone most of the welding now should be all done by sunday.all the rust has been completely cut out and replaced.thats the exhurst i want to swap for some heat exchangers.have completely cut out inner arch and will replace with a flat one for more tyre clearance.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 7th June 2008 - 9:24pm

sorry exhaust has gone.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 8th June 2008 - 10:30pm

ImageImageImagesome more holes(been plenty of them) and repairs.ImageImagethe wheels have been photo chopped(they are actual size with just the centres beening masked) but the ride hieght is for real.car looks awsome with the 19".have lowered it one more outer spline +raised it one inner spline.will lower front another spline tomorrow,but waiting for front tyres to come so cant set front ride hieght properly.this week will be all the body work and hopefully in premier by weekend,once this has been done and all the wheels are on then i will reveal how she looks.more to come
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 9th June 2008 - 10:38pm

heres some more pics with all the wheels on and the front now droped to 4 splines.ImageImageImageImageImagefastty looks awsome with the huge rear wheels,hopefully should be in primer by weekend.
early fasty bits needed

Editor

Post by Editor » 10th June 2008 - 1:28pm

Lots of work done and still to do, which I admire.
Shame a lot of people seem to like the front end in that head-hung down posture though. It does serious damage to the front suspension over a period of time.
Dave.

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 10th June 2008 - 4:57pm

Thats some project and looking great, kinda like one of those chub city toys.
Keep up the good work,
Dave.
I will finish it some day!!

Rust free imports direct from California;

www.route9autos.co.uk

The west of Scotland VW club.

http://vwscotclub.co.uk/forum/

fastty

Post by fastty » 10th June 2008 - 9:20pm

i like to call this the pro touring look,very low big and little rims and useable power.i am working on a front susspension cure but it wont be on this car. cheers tony
early fasty bits needed

ikabod

Post by ikabod » 11th June 2008 - 2:18pm

fastty wrote:ImageImageImagefinnally got it to work
Did the early rear wings fitted without any alterations/modifications?

Rustico

fastty

Post by fastty » 11th June 2008 - 7:46pm

yes ikabod the rear wings fit with no problems,just a straight bolt on.hope it helps ,tony
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 12th June 2008 - 9:12pm

done a bit more tonight,there was a clearance problem at the rear of the arch on the tyre.to remedy the problem i cut the arch lip of and moved it backwards 55mm,thus stretching the wheel opening enough to clear the tyre.i then rolled the arch lip to gain even more clearance,lot of work,i bet no one will even notice it.more pics tomorrow
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 15th June 2008 - 11:12pm

most of the rear window was rusted out at the bottom.
ImageImage

once all the bits were made and welded in this is how they looked
ImageImageImage
also smoothed the recess under the boot lid,and streched the other rear wheel arch.just the tubs to weld in the rear and a new rear valance.
cheers for all the comments it all helps to keep the project rolling on.more pics later in the week.
early fasty bits needed

Angelo Amato

fasty

Post by Angelo Amato » 16th June 2008 - 12:03am

fantastic job and i see you are in the NW like me 8)

look forward to seeing it.

nice to see another fastback saved from the grave, as it seems it needed quite a bit of work to put right.

Angelo

fastty

Post by fastty » 16th June 2008 - 9:34pm

if it wasn:t for the new front clip, i think i may have broke it for parts.but there has still been a lot of welding(just like some of the other projects on the forum)just done some of the last welding tonight.can now start linning all the panels up before i can do any body work,cheers
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 17th June 2008 - 10:59pm

changed my mind on the smooth doors,seemed to easy.so im using cut down mx5 handles.look bloody awesome fitted,only problem being the original door locks wont work,so will have to go with a power dead bolt.will post some pics tomorrow
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 18th June 2008 - 11:13pm

got the driver side handle in,took about 2 hours to fit but well worth it looks really good.ImageImageImageheres some airbrushing im doing on my van,this is the timing belt cover(might do some on the fastty)ImageImagealso front bumper should be here tomorrow.more later
early fasty bits needed

easy

Post by easy » 19th June 2008 - 8:38am

sweet 8)
Chrome doesnt get you home...

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th June 2008 - 3:22pm

Clever to have made such a tidy job, but I have to say I think VW got the handle shape right. Certainly the one-piece handle and lock, but not so good if you want to lose the lock cylinder.
Dave.

fastty

Post by fastty » 29th June 2008 - 10:53pm

sorry not posted much but have been really busy with work this week so have not been able to do much.got another busy week this week but should be able to get back on it by weekend.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 7th July 2008 - 11:07pm

got the other door handle on today and started taking the paint of the roof and body panels.made a frame to wheel the body around on while the floor pan being sorted.post pics soon.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 20th July 2008 - 6:28pm

finally started on the turbo conversion.got one side of the exhaust system built and got turbo sitting in the correct position waiting for a couple of mounting flanges,but should be here this week.
has any one got a twin choke weber carb for sale,if so please let me know thanks.heres some pics so far.
ImageImageImage
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 29th July 2008 - 10:01pm

heres some pics of the exhaust so far and the start of the inlet manifold.its a tight fit but comes of in one piece.
ImageImageImage
got some 60mm tube for the exhaust outlet and a very small back box so should sound awsome,more pics soon.
early fasty bits needed