project 72 fastty

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
easy

Post by easy » 30th July 2008 - 9:22am

sweet 8)
Chrome doesnt get you home...

fastty

Post by fastty » 3rd August 2008 - 10:26pm

finally got a carb,its an xr2 twin choke weber with electric choke,just what i was after.can now complete the turbo conversion.post pics as soon as.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 5th August 2008 - 10:22pm

got the rest of the inlet pipe work done today.50mm out of turbo ,down to 42mm into the inlet manifolds.bit more done on the exhaust side,
have used 60mm tube for the out let which will lead into a one box system.it will be very ,very short and should sound the bollox.
just the carb manifold to make and finnish the exhaust.once i get it running i will post a video on you tube.heres some pics so far.
ImageImage
ImageImage
early fasty bits needed

easy

Post by easy » 6th August 2008 - 8:47am

nice pipes :D
Chrome doesnt get you home...

nidge

Post by nidge » 7th August 2008 - 11:41pm

bonkers! 8)
72 square
71 Fasty
67 Fasty - broken! parts for sale , try me.
64 Ghia
67 squareblack

fastty

Post by fastty » 10th August 2008 - 4:53pm

got the carb on saturday,will have a go at making a manifold during the week.Image
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 15th August 2008 - 7:43pm

got the carb manirfold built,cant wait to hear the engine run.more pics soon.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 2nd October 2008 - 8:48pm

has any one cut the frame head of a type3 that holds the beam.dropped mine 4 splines and the beams about an inch of the floor.was thinking of cutting it off and moving it up about 2".
any help would be apreciated,cheers
early fasty bits needed

Editor

Post by Editor » 3rd October 2008 - 11:14am

Please tell my why you don't just lift it 2 splines instead?
Dave.

nidge

Post by nidge » 3rd October 2008 - 8:10pm

go any lower and your front panel will be sitting on the ground!

By raising the frame head you'll encounter clearance problems with the trackrods on the bottom of the petrol tank. Probably have to chop the inner wings about and end up with the floorpan sitting on the deck!

Why not go hydraulics or airbags if you want silly low?

At least then you can raise it up to actually drive the damn thing :lol:
72 square
71 Fasty
64 Ghia
67 squareblack

fastty

Post by fastty » 12th October 2008 - 8:40pm

dave,car looks the bollocks sat on its arse so i wont be raising the front end.nidge, airkweld did a silver notch and they raised the front and rear suspensions and that look the nuts.
if i could raise the front beam and turn the splines back up one or two surely its going to ride better as it wont be as hard.any way i like a challenge.
as to airbags a mate of mine has them on his golf,hes gone through two sets of front tyres in six months.ever time you adjust the bagsup or down,it alters your tracking so wearing out the front tyres.
its dam hard to put them at the exact same place ever time you use them.needless to say i wont be useing them either.cheers for your comments
early fasty bits needed

corndog

Post by corndog » 2nd November 2008 - 8:57pm

This is gonna be nuts 8) Keep up the good work ;)

Not a big fan of custom but when it's full on as this... helll yeah :D

fastty

Post by fastty » 8th November 2008 - 7:59pm

cheers for that last comment.always liked the type3,always liked custom,rather than resto.had one 20 years ago,slammed,satin black,135,s and 165,s.
went to the first ever bug jam in that car,hooked.will keep pics coming over the next few months.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 6th April 2009 - 9:59pm

right part two of the turbo fastty build.have managed to move the type3 beam up 2",it works really good not only does it hide the beam when viewed from the front (as raising the beam hides it above the bottom of the front panel)
the car now has a 3 spline drop and a 2""raised beam and with the 2 spline rear drop just sits at a slight nose down rake,perfect.
all the parts for the turbo (draw through set up)are done and bolted on and is ready for start up(this week end).
the body is basically done just odds and ends to sort out.due to the amount of time left till summer im going to run it as a ratter,make everthing works as it should then pull it apart over next winter and finnish it right.
will post some updated pics over the next few days
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 11th April 2009 - 7:06pm

finally got some one piece door windows,pick them up next weekend.got 3 days to get as much done as possible.will post some pics before i pull her apart tomorrow.
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 12th April 2009 - 10:41pm

heres some pics from today,front bumper finally got here and looks ok on car but will have to nip and tuck it to fit body better.
got car stripped right down to the floor pan today.just not sure how the bearings come out the beam.
next step is to repair the pan edges and get it sent to the blasters.will also post some pics of how i raised the beam.
ImageImage
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 20th April 2009 - 7:29pm

got the new floor pan sections i made welded on and repaired the few holes so pan is now ready for blasting,goes on friday.
picked up the one piece door windows yesterday,685 mile round trip but well worth it.
complete kit, windows,rubbers, regulators and even fitting instructions all brand new still in the box for £60 .more as i go
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
early fasty bits needed

nidge

Post by nidge » 7th May 2009 - 12:04am

looking good matey. I admire your dedication. Keep up the good work 8)
72 square
71 Fasty
64 Ghia
67 squareblack

fastty

Post by fastty » 2nd June 2009 - 12:40am

cheers nidge,things are a bit slow at the moment.can not decide what to do about the front susspension. lifted the beam 2" on the floor pan,car sits perfect but with the 7" wide alloys cant stear it.
think im going to go down a bit of a more radical rout and build my own independent unit(just built one for the rear of a track day nova)
then i could also run a rack instead of a stearing box.will post some more pics this week.
early fasty bits needed

kyle

Post by kyle » 2nd June 2009 - 1:28pm

hey ur car looks nice!!! r all ur rims 19"s?
what are the other dimentions eg: rear(19x 8.5 et30) front (18x8 et35)
what did u chop off and what rubbing problems did u hav?
r ur hubs redrilled or hav converters or any spacers?
im only puttin 17" but i wanted 2 go bigger i jus didnt wanna go to the extent ur going to even tho i think its worth it!! i aint got the funds either! :lol:
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

fastty

Post by fastty » 19th August 2009 - 10:31pm

sorry have not been on for awhile.the rear wheels are 19"x8.5 et30 and fronts are 17"x7 et35.the rears run 235x35x19 and fronts are 205x40x17.to fit the rears there are no mods to the inner wheel arch,but you will need to trim off the inner arch that touchs the outer wing and replace this with a flat tub giving more room for the tyre.all so the arch needs to be stretched 50 mm(you could avoid this bit by fitting a smaller tyre,say a 215x35x19)if your on a larg drop then the fronts wont turn unless your on a narrowed beam.i am currently thinking of having some custom wheels made to cure the front end problem.hope this info is of some help
early fasty bits needed

fastty

Post by fastty » 19th August 2009 - 10:33pm

forgot to mention the hubs are redrilled to 5x100 with no spacers
early fasty bits needed

kyle

Post by kyle » 19th August 2009 - 11:58pm

so there 5 stud golf den ennit? i didnt quie get wat u were sayin (the wheels dont rub at the rear but u need 2 make tub 50mm bigger 4 the wheels?) is that jus 4 peace of mind or wat? i no it sound like a bad idea but u probly machine some off where the bolts go through so it makes the 'et' bigger depending on how much meat u got to play with

im puttin 17" on mine i did wanna go bigger but i dont wanna cut half my car away! but i can stress enough how much i like ur car man :lol: cant wait till i c it finished! :lol: i like the hot rod/agressive stance, slightly higher at the back than the front and bigger rims on the bak 2. the rims r dope! the style of them gives it a kinda luxury (v.i.p) look. not fast, but got cash!!! :lol: but wid that motor u will b quicker than a mo-fo!

there is a few places in the us that will custom make rims 4 ya 2 the correct back&frontspacing, et, size, width, and pcd and even the chromes worked out 2 b about £250 a wheel +pp which is value for money! i jus didnt hav the money n the rims i got were cheep! i dont no anywhere in the uk who do it tho. if u no some where so i know for future reference. peace 8)
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

fastty

Post by fastty » 2nd October 2009 - 12:09am

think i finnally worked out how to narrow the type3 beam.going to narrow it 5".post some pics when done.
early fasty bits needed

kyle

Post by kyle » 2nd October 2009 - 1:35am

if u can, then will be sick! u'd keep the well known comfort! most people use t1 beams cus when its lowered it bottoms out on the bump stops or the actual beam hits the floor. t1 is alot easier. the t3 torsions are crossed eg the bottom left ends up at the top right (there was a diagram of it in 1 of the ultra vw or volksworld) n theres the built in anti roll bar which u cant chop n weld cus its spring steel and any heat will take the springyness out and probly snap cus its harder than welding wire. im sure u probly no all this cus u seem to no wat ur doing, but its jus incase u didnt no how it worked
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!