'71 German Notch in Ireland

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
trevorbrady

'71 German Notch in Ireland

Post by trevorbrady » 29th July 2008 - 12:24am

I picked up this '71 German import notch last week in Northern Ireland. It was imported 2 years ago and has been dry stored since and had been in storage in Germany since '95. It has received some bad patching in the past and has developed some pretty bad holes in the rear corners under the back seat, the front lower inner wings, the front upper inner wings and the very bottom corners of the spare wheel well. There are a few holes in the floorpans and the sills are crunchy too.

That's the bad news. The good news is that it has a working steel Golde sunroof, came with a Diesel fuelled Eberspacher, the engine starts on the button and it's an automatic (still deciding whether that's a bonus or not). The transmission gets all gears and appears to work fine.

I'm currently researching the availability of repair panels to see whether or not this would be a feasible resto for me. If I can't find or make repair panels relatively easily I'll be selling this on or breaking it.

pics:

and in more detail:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/trevorbrady/notch/

oh, need a bolt from the front spindle too if anyone is breaking a type3: see my "wanted" ad... :)
www.veewrx.com

easy

Post by easy » 29th July 2008 - 8:03am

nice :D another one saved. 8)

Hello and welcome 8)
Chrome doesnt get you home...

Editor

Post by Editor » 29th July 2008 - 12:23pm

... not saved yet! Doesn't look too difficult a project though.

The great thing about a Type 3 is that most of the outer panels are bolt-on, so they hide repairs easily. Fabrication is not too difficult, though takes time if it's done well - which means it costs if you don't do it yourself.

There aren't many repair panels available, but decent wings and doors are still reasonably available. Some are being brought in from abroad too.

Is a sunroof good in Ireland? I always wonder about the need for them in the UK, but if you've got one, it's good that it's working and doesn't leak. A bit of preventive maintenance is a good idea.
Dave.

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 29th July 2008 - 12:55pm

Editor wrote: Is a sunroof good in Ireland? I always wonder about the need for them in the UK, but if you've got one, it's good that it's working and doesn't leak. A bit of preventive maintenance is a good idea.
thanks for the advice :)

apparently the sunroof does leak, there's evidence of gaffer dape around the edges so I presume i was an effort to keep dry inside.

I'm dying to get it out for a spin pre-resto (or pre-destruction :shock: ) but that bolt I need for the front spindle is holding up the show. Anyone got one from a car that's been broken?
www.veewrx.com

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 29th July 2008 - 5:32pm

Yay another Late model Notch :D

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the resto :D

Danny.
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 5th August 2008 - 11:48pm

pulled the engine tonight to replace the flywheel (or flexplate, this being an automatic) oil seal

when I had the engine pulled I discovered that the crank case was over-full with oil, it turned out that the diaphragm in the fuel pump has perished and the tank, being higher than the engine, has flowed fuel into the case, diluting the oil and over-flowing out the oil seal. :roll:

tomorrow I get the flex plate off and remove the old seal. I have a spare used fuel pump to go in and while the engine is out I'll do the plugs, points, condensor etc. I think a couple of push-rod tubes are leaking so they'll be replaced too along with new seals. I'll have to pull the heads to do those though :(

getting the engine out of a type3 is more work than getting it out of a bug but not as much work as dropping the engine out of a bus ;D

oh, I also popped most of the dents out of the long panels with a household sink plunger, worked a charm!! :lol:
www.veewrx.com

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th August 2008 - 10:06am

Good to see you're making progress. It is surprising what dents come out almost visibly by pulling or pushing from behind - nice to hear the sink plunger idea really works!

For me the Type 3 is easier for engine removal than the Bug and Bay window Bus. The car can be driven onto a couple of ramps to give enough height to get the engine out without it being too high for a decent hobby jack to support. You can see to undo and tighten the upper bolts easily without the fan housing cutting into your arms, and unlike the Bug the rear hanger on later ones makes for controlled release for lowering from behind in safety.

The Bug and Bay with upright engines need to be pretty high to get the engine out.

I guess it comes down to what equipment you have available.
BTW what's that sweet-looking early Bug ?
Dave.

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 6th August 2008 - 11:29am

thanks Dave, I suppose I'm just "used" to pulling the engine out of the bug, I've done it dozens of times and this was my first type3 engine removal. You're right though, the main engine-trans bolts are easier to get to without the upright fan in the way.

the bug is my early-looker '73. It's my baby, my first VW, I've restored it twice :roll: and even though it looks like a fairly mild custom, there's very little left untouched in it.

www.veewrx.com

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 6th August 2008 - 10:38pm

Engine up on the engine stand today, new flywheel/flexplate oil seal, new plugs, new points, drained oil, cleaned oil strainer, new sump plate gaskets/washers, good second hand fuel pump, new fuel pump gasket, adjusted valves, adjusted points gap.

Have to pick up some fresh oil and fuel hoses tomorrow and it's ready to refit. Fill the brakes with fresh fluid, bleed them and then I get to go for a test drive!!

Then I decide whether or not to keep it :?
www.veewrx.com

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 7th August 2008 - 11:14pm

got the engine back in today, all the wires etc reattached, poured a little juice down the carbs but couldn't get it to stay going so I figured the used fuel pump I was using was duff. Borrowed the pump from the bug and it's now starting and running nicely. Borrowed the battery from the bug too!!

Filled the brake system with fluid and bled them, adjusted up the rear brake shoes. Filled the engine with fresh oil and replaced all the fuel hoses. Changed the wrecked steering damper for a good used one and put the driver's seat back in. Hopefully tomorrow is test drive day if it's dry, there's too many holes to drive it in the wet... :roll:
www.veewrx.com

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 8th August 2008 - 1:54pm

nice weather today so I fired her up, drove out of the garage under her own steam and embarked on her maiden voyage down the road 2K and back with no problems!!
The brakes are still a bit tight, the front calipers really need to be rebuilt but I'm waiting on the rebuild kits from VWHeritage to come. It is a bit sluggish due to the brakes binding but the engine runs nicely, the transmission shifts itself smoothly and kicks down when you boot the throttle. With the "ghetto" interior and no seatbelt I wasn't going to go very fast but it tanks along pretty well.

www.veewrx.com

PP

Post by PP » 12th August 2008 - 11:03pm

Trevor, best of luck with the restoration - if you do decide to scrap, would be interested in parts. I have no mechanical talents, so I imported a slightly better condition 1970 1500N notch. It has been recently registered on Irish vintage plates, see current photo. I saw a photo in Volksworld (early this year?) of a similar colour car at the Eirespares meet in July07. ps. like the thought of an auto for city driving..maybe if I ever get another one![img][img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii15 ... ack004.jpg[/img][/img]

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 13th August 2008 - 10:46am

If you break I would be interested in the Eberspacher kit, assuming of course it will slot into the 64 Notch........
I've finally seen the light. Well, 2 lights, 2 6v lights on the front of a 64 Notch!!!!

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 13th August 2008 - 11:31am

Hi PP,

this one was at the Eirespares show this year, I thought it yas your one after reading your thread here.

it's remarkably similar to yours :shock:

I've just noticed from comparing the two pics, your 1500N doesn't have the side trim or an earial and the wipers park on the other side to the 1600L from Eirespares and my 1600L. I never copped the differences before but I suppose I wasn't really looking ;) What year is yours?

Anyway, I've decided I don't want to get into the rustoration of this notch at the moment so I'm going to move it on. I have three guys interested in it so it should go pretty easily.
www.veewrx.com

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th August 2008 - 1:29pm

1970 1500N is certainly a bit of a curiosity. I have a feeling it actually has a 1600 engine, with low compression ratio, but presume still a single carb.

Tell us a bit more please. While we got the low trim spec (no waistline holes for trim!) and painted quartewr-lights, we generally had the twin carb engine. Fuel injection had the waist trim and the chrome no-plate trim too, but not much else extra.

BTW, 1970 is left parking - the only long front model that does - so I assume the other Savannah beige must be a 1971.
Dave.

PP

Post by PP » 13th August 2008 - 11:19pm

Dave,
I called it a 1500N ; sorry, of course it is badged a '1600', so presumably a 1600A ? - it is ; type 315011 ; chas. 310 224 3672 ; engine K0167745, registered 26 jun 1970. My reading of these figures from the type 3 data on the site, is that the single carb is a 1500cc ?

Trevor, do you by any chance know who owns the 1600 L ? Well spotted on the wiper front- this is curious since I have noticed before that my '87 Golf GL auto parks to the right (rhd) , while every other Golf I see parks the other way!

Thanks

Paul

trevorbrady

Post by trevorbrady » 13th August 2008 - 11:28pm

Paul,

unfortunately I only stopped at Eirespares for a few minutes while I was passing through. I didn't get to hang around to find the owner. I picked up my notch two days later, I should have really tried to find them :(

If you're really interested in finding them, you could call Martin Murray 062 76177, he organised the show so he might know who owned it :?:
www.veewrx.com