My 64 Notch

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 18th September 2008 - 10:01pm

Well, the last picture I posted was showing Connie being wheeled into the spraybooth.
Here is the old girl waiting to be wheel back out again;

And here it is arriving back at the Classy Campers workshops.

Looking much better than when it first went in........

Mmmmmm, shiny!!!

Woo-Hoo, it's all the same colour!!

It is just awaiting to be fitted back up with the chromeware etc.
Hoping to go out and collect it tomorrow or Saturday morning........

This weekend I think I will be mostly smiling!!
I've finally seen the light. Well, 2 lights, 2 6v lights on the front of a 64 Notch!!!!

easy

Post by easy » 19th September 2008 - 9:10am

Sweet!..........and shiney! 8)
Chrome doesnt get you home...

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 24th September 2008 - 8:48pm

Well I got it back and had to take it back out to sort a couple of little teething problems and it was brought back out within a couple of hours.

I went out on Sunday morning to take it to a little classic car show here in WSM and the bloody thing just wouldn't start.
Turns out the fuel pump had given up the ghost..............the chaps came out to my house and got the fuel pump sorted and took it out to their workshop to sort it properly.
Whilst it was there the elec ignition was fitted as was the seat belts and 6v oil temp gauge.

Ian sorting the location for the gauge.

A specific loom was made and wrapped.

Gauge in place and wiring going in.....

Nice and discrete down on the right, out of the way, but will allow me to make sure all is well.

I will get some overall pics taken over the weekend and post them up.
I've finally seen the light. Well, 2 lights, 2 6v lights on the front of a 64 Notch!!!!

easy

Post by easy » 25th September 2008 - 8:04am

Nice 8) Gonna do some gauges once i get the blinking notch finished 8)

corndog

Post by corndog » 29th September 2008 - 7:03pm

Crums I thought this notch was a mint when it was at the prom. Gr8 to see it rustless now :D

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 29th September 2008 - 8:23pm

corndog wrote:Crums I thought this notch was a mint when it was at the prom. Gr8 to see it rustless now :D
So did I matey.....

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 1st December 2008 - 12:47pm

I have just scored some heat exchangers for the Notch. I have also added a badge bar to the front along with some lights.
In the Spring it is going back in to get the inner-wings stripped and sprayed as well as the front valance and spare wheel well touched up after bottoming out leaving Oktoberfest in Cheddar.

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 22nd May 2009 - 11:03pm

I have been using the Notch a bit more recently and after any motorway use or getting a bit warm the bloody engine has developed a misfire.
It was doing it on the way to Sandown Park and I put it down to crap leads. I have since replaced the HT leads, plugs and dizzy cap. It has a brand new 6v Pertronix in there too and it hasn't cured the problem.
So, I dropped it off with someone today who is going to look at the Kadrons on there and decide if I am better off going with the IDF Webers I have, he is going to sort the problem and rolling road it for me and if they have time they are also going to make me a custom 4-2-1 header and then mount 2 Micron cans on the back of it.
Vroom Vroom!!! 8)

Once this has been sorted I am going to look into getting the bottom of the pan painted and inner wings/arches detailed.

I should know more in the week and hope to get it back in about 10 days as I am off on holiday for a week on Monday.

Wish me luck folks.

easy

Post by easy » 26th May 2009 - 1:30pm

Good luck dood! fingers crossed 8)

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork » 26th May 2009 - 10:43pm

Just read this thread from the top, great work scoops! Will keep an eye out for this ride. Very tidy.

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 4th June 2009 - 12:22pm

Cheers for the comments chaps.
A quick update for you all.
I called the engine tuner on Tuesday and popped in to see him on the way home from work. When I got there they were just getting it sorted for a power run on the rollers.

The Kadrons on there were shot, so bad in fact they have been destroyed to make sure they are not used again. They were badly worn and along with the manifolds were leaking fuel like a sieve in use so it has all been removed and binned.
The IDF 40's that are in it's place needed a little fettling as did the 'off the shelf' CB type 3 fitting kit :roll: but it's on there now.
The new venturis purchased from Eurocarb were like a prick in a shirt sleeve being almost 1.5mm smaller in dia. When I contact them they suggested wrapping foil around them to build them out!! :shock:
Instead the 31's will be opened out to 34 and polished up etc.
Initial runs gave 80.8 bhp but this was with the venturies still at 31 and a largely stock exhaust fitted.
I am going in again on the way home this evening to test drive it for them and I am hoping for a marked improvement.
It is also going to have a new exhaust fitted (when it has been built) hopefully comprising of a modified 3.2 911 backbox with equal length 4-2-1 header.
Whilst there the electrician has fitted the genuine Sun Systems 6v tacho and the 6v-12v inverter to allow me to run the temp gauge and get an accurate (ish) reading.
With the new carbs properly set up and when the exhaust is fitted I am hoping we can be nudging 90-95bhp.
We'll see.

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 15th June 2009 - 7:46am

The new Webers make a world of difference, really pleased with it. The bill was a bit more than I expected, but the Type 3 manifolds etc I got from CB were pants and needed polishing and fettling to fit properly.
The next problem I have found is the bloody front screen seal has gone and lets in rain.
I have bought front and rear seals and I am waiting for them to be fitted towards the end of the week. I have to say I am a it nervous about this as I think there is some corrosion in the edge of the window, I will have to wait and see what happens........

easy

Post by easy » 15th June 2009 - 11:09am

Looking and sounding nice dood, weird you had problems with the type 3 kit from CB? I got mine via John Mayher and they went on like a dream aswell. I get 93bhp out of my 1776 with twin 40s, and that should hit about the 100 now as it is nicely fully worn in 8)

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 23rd June 2009 - 7:32am

At Bristol Volksfest I discovered the window seals were shot and were letting in the weather.
It has gone in to get them replaced and sadly to sort the grot I fear may have started in the flange.
Unfortunately it seem the whole roof will need a respray due to the difficulties previously had when trying to blend in this colour.
I will update as and when get some pic updates.

rustydubs

Post by rustydubs » 22nd July 2009 - 4:33pm

top job

mr scoops

Post by mr scoops » 27th September 2009 - 10:14pm

Not been keeping this up to date so here are the updates cut and paste from my local club forum.

Update, sadly no pics have come through as yet, but here is the story. Both front and rear screens have come out to replace the perished seals and it seems the dreaded tinworm has found its way into the bottom corners of each window.
The front is the worst and requires rotten metal cutting out and then a new flange being fabricated and welded in place.
Bit of a bugger really but it needed doing.
I am guessing the OG seals were put back in when the car was initially brought back from the dead (literally) in 1998/99 and they have slowly deteriorated.

Right. The seals are sorted. The third one to come out from T3D went straight in so that problem is now sorted.
I had a couple fo little issues with the paint but that has also been sorted out.
The rear discs finally turned up from the US and they have been fitted, let's hope they are better quality this time.
Despite having the Kadrons replaced with the IDF's and the manifolds etc all ported and polished etc there was still a misfire, which following one fo the guys in the clubs advice was down to debris in the tank. The tank has been Pep-sealed and inline filters have been fitted.
The carbs were stripped and cleaned to make sure all the crap was out and refitted up. Despite none of the actual setting being buggered about with this is a slight pop back on over-run through the carb on 3 & 4.......
I also think it is running a tad rich again, so, I am going to give the tuner a call and get it back on the rollers. Since nothing has been changed I think it just needs an hour on the rolling road to get the settings nailed again.