1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Rob-type3

Re: 1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

Post by Rob-type3 » 29th December 2018 - 9:39am

This is looking great! I’m such a long way from mine getting to this stage! Keep it up mate!
1964 Notchback
1970 Fastback

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 29th December 2018 - 9:57pm

Nice to see a plan coming together :)

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th December 2018 - 9:46pm

shame i went through the paint on the dash and had to put two more coats on!
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 20th January 2019 - 6:28pm

Quite a bit to update you on, though it didn't feel like it until I looked through my photos and realised how far id come.

So the engine might have started but it ran badly, first fault spotted was leaky spindles, I didn't spend much time trying to sort any of the issues as the exhaust wasn't tight as I waited for this spanner to arrive.

This allowed me to tighten the silencer to the small preheater boxes. Then a couple of tidying up jobs underneath like fitting the rubber boot to the clutch cable.

I then thought id rebuild the air filter and set up the warm air intake. I put it in the oven with a thermometer set to 45c and then adjusted the thermostat until the flap was fully open. Just don't tell the other half!

The carbs are away for a rebushing so the engine finishing will have to wait. All thats left to do under the back end was align the gearbox, which needs to wait until ive done the wheel alignment. But im a little way off yet! Lets look a little further forward then.

Reading practical classics, their workshop section had a piece about overhauling small motors, more specifically wiper motors. That was all the motivation i needed to do mine.

Stripped down to remove the core.

After a thorough clean and the shaft lubed ready for the rebuild.

Sandblasted and painted.

Some time later after everything had been cleaned and lubricated where required.

As I was preparing to start building the dash up, it needed a quick flat and then a polish. I obviously didnt get much paint on as I went through the colour every quickly. So I masked everything off flatted and degreased, then put 3 more coats on.

About 3 weeks later and after alot of time in front of the IR heater. I rubbed down the one run in the paint and then polished it

Its got a reasonable finish too it, I might revisit this in a few weeks to give it a further polish, I might not.

More to come, but i need to step away from the PC screen for a while
The sultan of swing

Aaronslimvw

Post by Aaronslimvw » 20th January 2019 - 9:44pm

Keep it up! Looks great!!

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st January 2019 - 8:45pm

Cheers!
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 22nd January 2019 - 10:31pm

Those of you with a keen eye will notice that my rain deflection panel is missing again. And you may recall some months back I manged to get a second one. Well now was the time to repair this item. It was at least twice as good of a starting point as the last one. And the last one never quite sealed. I ended up having two goes at installing it and had to use far more tiger seal than id have liked. Out it came.

A different approach this time, rather than trying to replicate the original panel exactly, I more wisely focused on getting the profile I was going to make for the new one to match the profile of the car. Much like before I folded a nice long section of channel. Some hour or two later with a fair amount of strinking and general hitting over the dollys I was left with this.

A mock up with a few tacks.

After a little trimming it looked a little like this.

It then got blasted to remove any light surface browning, several coats of epoxy which was baked in front of the stove, seam sealed and a couple of liberal colour coats.

Installed this weekend just gone, it resulted in one small drip which the addition of some tiger seal has cured. I have pour many gallons of water through the vents with no issue. So I dried it all out and have left it to stand for a few days before it gets a liberal coat of dinatrol 1000. That should see thats job out the way. Which means I can then build the dash up, fit the fuse box, install the wiring loom and then steering colomn and fuel tank. Bit of a chain reaction to come I hope!

In the mean time I returned to the forward section loom, I have bought an ultra sonic cleaner, it lasted all of 7 days, which is a sore subject at the moment. But ive used it to clean a few original spade connectors. Although not mint, they are much improved and clean on the inside.

But back to the amp carriers, im not sparky but that aint right.

I can find no reference to that wire on the wiring diagrams, but none the less its got a terminal number so ill figure it out later. I also had a spare plug with a wire in that terminal, so it was removed and fitted to this assembly.

I then removed all the wires from the fuse box and dash switches to cleaned up the whole lots, wires fuse box and switches. It gives me the fun job of remembering when it all went. I hope I can neaten up this rats nest a little. Bearing in mine only half of the wires are connected here.

The final job worth commenting on for now is the installation of some switches into the dash. I spent quite a few hours wiping wires down with degreaser and cleaners. I thought id start the build with dash switches and start hooking wires up from there. VW switches have a special tool to install them. Previously ive just used a pair of a needle nose pliers and slipped and scratched my dash far to many times on too many cars. So being a grown up now, I made the escutcheon tool for the job.

Keep that chain reaction in mind. Ive got another exam this friday then ill be letting the chain react and see if we can get some rapid progress for a couple of weeks. Could it be a driving car? Even if its just in an out of the garage!
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 21st February 2019 - 10:42pm

It's been a month since we heard from you broady. Have you just been keeping warm or have you been busy on other things ?
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 22nd February 2019 - 6:16am

A little from column A and a little from column B. But I have also much progress on the fasty. Ive just not had time to post the update. Not much is photo friendly. silly things like fitting dynamat and tidying up bits of wiring loom ect. Ive got a nice 3 day weekend lined up so I will provide a suitable update at some point
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 23rd February 2019 - 8:44am

Its long over due, but owing to a very busy early part of the year at work and a bit of illness I haven't updated you. Though I have been getting on with the car a couple of evenings a week. Just not at quite the pace I had been. Some of it isnt the most photo friendly work, wiring ect.

Right, we'll start with some shots of the carbs. With the engine not running well I pulled the carbs to bits to get the spindles rebushed. And while they were away I used the ultrasonic cleaner on the rest of the bits. It was during this which is cooked its self. And im still waiting for a replacement some 6 weeks later. As luck would have it, there is one at work which ive been able to use to finish this job.

Then a slight fastforward to a pair of repaired and fitted carbs, with a properly set up air filter. With the thermostat opening the flap at 45 degrees, handily set up in the oven (dont tell the boss)

Those with a keener eye will also notice the warm air pick up which isnt fitted to the engine. It was something I was sure I had powder coated last year, but when it came to engine rebuild time. I couldn't fit it, never mind ill get it done and it it late I thought to myself. it was only when someone else has problems fitting theirs when peter pointed out this needs to be installed before the exhaust system! Bugger, thats something I will revisit once im road worthy. Its not the most critical or parts for now.

In order to progress the front end rebuild I went for a petrol tank refit in an attempt to make it a running driving car. But more bugger!

It seems when the tank was blasted and powered coated, it revealed a few more pin holes. As a result its petrol containing capabilities are greatly reduced. I cleaned it up, silver soldered the three pin pricks and returned to the powder coaters. I also too my old tank and had that done. I looked at POR15s tank lining kit, which is enough to do 78L worth of tank, and once its open you can't reseal it. At £70 a kit it seemed a waste to throw half in the bin, so I plan to line both tanks to help with and future pin pricks. Thats a jobs ive been working through this week with the various cleaners which come in the kit.

I began the rats nest fathoming.

I rung out any of wires which I couldnt fit on the diagrams, Ive got half a dozen bonus wires, owed to this back section being an injection loom and im running carbs. But I have re purposed some of this wires. More on that later.

In order to connect up to gauges ect I needed a dash pad fitting. And as it was already cracked I figured any repair I did would be better than a crack, so I bought some plastic epoxy.

Once I had filed down and the fine sanded the filler. I failed to add any sort of texture, I cleaned the while thing very carefully with a tooth brush and panel degreaser. Then painted with black vinyl paint.

Ive no idea how long it will last, but it looks quite a bit better than a cracked dash pad. I plan to get my hands on replacement pad and recover it this summer.

Next step was some instruments, which weren't in fairly good order to start with. I soda blasted the rims and give a few liberal coats of silver.

Freshly polished bezel and glass. Left me with this.

And finally for now the dash part way built.

The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 24th February 2019 - 8:46pm

So I had a little problem getting the clock to push back in far enough to get the springs to click. This isnt a huge issue, but at the instruments hold the dash pad in place, i want it to seat. I pressed the gauge in as far as I could and marked the spring.

Thats no small margin, so I can only assume there were two different clock spring lengths. One of each type of dash pad. I know they later did a clock with an earth terminal on the back, rather than relying on the body to earth on the dash. So maybe the change was made there? Anyway, I simply trimmed the springs on mine to just above the line id drawn. It now clicks in just as well as the fuel gauge pod.

I have been working through a number of small jobs, simply things like. Rather than screwing the earths of the loom straight to the body, which will inevitably seize, then result in damage to the loom as they screw is forced out. Ive screwed ring spade in and then changed the loom earths to spades.

I also re vinyled the A and B posts as the sun had made them crispy at best. And at worst burnt through them.

Its a pretty good match and once the head liners had a good clean, I think you'll only be able to notice if I tell you!

The next exciting step was finishing the loom work, well just about. I wanted a couple of USB charging sockets hidden under the dash. Which sneaks in here, and Following VW wiring code of the period. Red for permanent live and brown for earth. We will see how long it lasts, or if I need to change it to a switched live.

Now a rare weird move by VW, the boot light was an option. And should you elect to have that option the factory wiring was to take a live from the rear light cluster. Some what strange as this would mean the boot light would only work if the lights were on and the boot was open. And generally I expect to be going in the boot before or after a journey. Which would mean my lights werent on yet, or id already turned them off and got out of the car. Thus rendering the boot light useless. So I planned to correct this and wiring it in a similar fashion to the interior light. Ie open the door/boot and the light comes on. As chance would have it, I found a green wire in my loom which is from the back of the fuse box to the right hand rear light cluster. It appears on no wiring diagrams, so Ive no idea what it was for. But Ive extended it into the boot and its now the live for my light.

Thinking about it. I should have really connected the battery so it was turned on!

Ive also got some new nylon tube to replace the sleeving on the bonnet cable as it had split in two places.

So what else have I done? Well I planed to do this at a later date, but it seemed like hard work trying to find somewhere to mount a temporary switch for the washers. So I got stuck in, and again used the original wiring colours greed/red stripe.I was kindly given a wiper switch to play with. I removed the old pneumatic valve from the back.

And I found this little push to make in my box of electrical bits. It was a tad to big, but it proved the theory and I ordered a smaller diameter from ebay. All I had to do was slight open up the internal diameter of the old valve. and it would sit inside nicely. With the two terminals sticking out the back.

This is an earlier protoype version which didnt pass quality control. Still it shows what I was upto.

I set the depth of the switch so I wouldnt need to trim the plunger. Meaning if I ever feel daft enough I can return this to factory tyre flattening washers. The last step was to put the rubber valve back in, so it feels like the original to operate, but really is letting the electrons flow.

And to avoid drilling any holes in the body work, I made a bracket which slips over the washer bottle. This wont be the final version as ive realised a few short comings. But you get the idea. And yes I have cleaned the waxoyl off the bottle :D

Ive been having problems with the brakes this weekend, I found a RHD master cylinder in my stash which I rebuilt to replace the LHD one which was fitted. It seems not to work though as the pedal travel is 7/8. ive set it by the book and even pre loaded with the push rod and had the rear shoes adjusted up to the drums. All of which made no difference. So I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend. But the tanks are busy curing after a good work out with this kit.

its got a 96 hour curing time. It ill be friday before I can do anything with it. But it was great to use and it seems to have coated the inside very well. I will report back when I have some use out of it.
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 3rd March 2019 - 9:45am

Not a lot to show you regarding the tank sealing, Its just a case of following the steps. i spent about 6 hours with the degreaser, shaking the tanks around and standing them in all different potions. I then spent another 6 hours with the metal prep. Which it just a rust inhibitor and adhesion promoter. 5 minutes washing with the hose pipe followed. Then again as you've seen in the previous photo, I put the heat gun in for 15 minutes to make sure it was bone dry inside. I left it to sit in the wind outside for a further 15.

Once I was certain it was dry, I masked off all of the outlets bar the fuel sender hole. Poured in the tank sealer, masked it over and began to roll the tank around making sure I coated all the internal surfaces. I lifted the masking tape and poked a small light in to see if it was covering well. Both tanks had a very liberal covering inside, I then left them to drain.

They are very generous with the sealer, this kit was enough for 78L worth of fuel tank. These two tanks total 80L and I could have easily done another two tanks. If id have known, I would have done the tank for the porsche at the same time! Hopefully it will help someone else in the future though. Be prepared to do all of your fuel tanks :D

So with that done they had to sit for the week and cure.

Thats a lot of words, so shall we have some photos? I refitted the master cylinder, it was a LHD one, digging through my boxes of parts I found a RHD one and it seemed to be in good order internally. So with a seal kit ive got I cleaned it up, had it powder coated and rebuilt it. Here it is installed, and it tidies up the pipe work nicely.

I then wasted nearly a full day bleeding it, and no matter what I did with the pedal adjustment, rear brake shoe adjustment ect, the pedal was 7/8 travel before it did anything. So I lost my temper and spent some time online looking for a new one.

This is the closest I can find. It requires the OSF pipe to be changed and the port is on the top rather than side of the cylinder. Otherwise it seems to be the same.

And a short while later its installed with new brake light switches.

I think I might have a sick brake caliper, as theres still a tiny bit of sponge in the pedal. But its now firming up before half travel. With near enough a new rear brake set up. Ill get them settled in before I go doing any more work on the brakes.

Knowing the master cylinder was in and sorted, I thought it would be time to put a tank it. First job was to put some fuel in on the drive and just make sure its sealed. It passed this test, I found the threads for the fuel sender just needed a tap running through to remove the sealer. Otherwise it was ready to go. And here it did go.

This next bit is a lot of work for a little detail, but I enjoyed it.

I designed this on actual CAD and the other had used her cutting machine to but it out of paper as a test.

With that, we went for sticker paper, as im not looking for a repeatable process Im just placing the small piece in the middle of the headlamp. But I have a solution for this if I ever make a run of these. The other error was the slash was too close the headlamp.

So with a little redesign I went for it.

And I must say im quite pleased

If people like this and they want a go, I can see about producing and selling these?

And finally a little money shot to show the dash build up.

The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 19th March 2019 - 9:34pm

Much has and hasn't happened lately. Lots of work has been done on the paint. Correcting run and chips which have been added during the winter in the garage. So there isn't much to show for the hours and hours spent touching in paint, flating and polishing. But here is a shot with panels hung back on, mainly to keep them out of the way and prevent dings while I enter the final stages. A nice grainey low light photo.

Glory shots aside, back to the details. The filler flap release has never worked, or even been installed. Over the years ive collected a few. All broken of course. I thinks that's how they were originally supplied weren't they? This the best of the bunch, one tab missing from the casting.

Locking wire used to help retain the release lever.

I made a small tab, welded a nut to the back then epoxied it to the casting.

And follow this little like for a live action shot.

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=D7A ... dGKpU0GxLk" width="180" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was then loaned these two fabric cutters. One a scissor like chopper and the other a rotary Stanley.

The parcel shelf was rather thread bare these day. Too much sunshine and hoovering. I found a similar pile carpet and got cutting.

And while I was at it, I bought some hardura to replace the boot floor sound proofing with. Ive yet to remember to take any more photos than this. But its cut out and installed. Its looks rather nice.

The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th March 2019 - 11:06pm

Been a rather big push the last two weeks since you were last updated. So lets see how its looking.

Heres that new boot liner/sound proofing as I promised.

So ive largely split my time between rebuilding the doors and refitting the wings, largely to stop me going mad doing just one thing.

I began by digging out the box full of door stuff and finding out what was missing/knackered. Which resulted in this pile of parts arriving and in addition to this was a bit sheet of door plastic membrane.

After fitting door locks and striker plates. These anti tamper/window guides went it.

The check straps needed rebumpering too. Nothing more than a simple split pin removal and the job was done.

The door window trims/scrapers needed quite a bit of love. And I wasnt prepared to spend over £100 on beetle ones which needed extra work to make fit.

The rubber was well knackered.

As the outter scraper rubber isnt available on its own I have fitted a pair or inners as I had plenty of them in good condition.

It took a bit of fiddling, but the end result was as good if not better than the aftermarket tat you can buy to day.

With this skill and knowledge now in the bank, i promptly pushed on with the passenger side. Unfortunately it wasn't to work out quite so well, the trim its self didnt looks half as smart with lots of scratches and tarnished chrome. I did attempt the repair but as it was a bit wobbly too I couldnt get the rubber to sit in a position I was happy with, the end result being I had to buy one of these beetle ones and have a bash at fitting it.

When it arrived though it was bent.

Naturally I wasnt impressed with this and worse still, when I offered it up to the car the clips didnt line up with the holes in the door. Though the supplier has agreed a refund, it didnt solve the problem of my trim requirements. While talking to a friend who had ordered a lot of seals from WCM, he told me he had a type 3 window trim in his shed. I promptly popped round to his!

There is the beetle along side the type 3. As you can see theres quite a bit of difference in the clips alignment.

Still, the assembly quality was left wanting though, I guess it was 5 to home time when this was built.

With a small hammer and dolly I sorted these rivets out and then put some felt backing on to protect the glass from the rivet heads. Still frustrating to have to put this much work in to what is basically a bent metal strip that cost £50. Once fitted it did look rather well, but as is tradition. I forgot to take a photo.

More to come shortly.
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 30th March 2019 - 11:40pm

It's beginning to look like a car, is it still on dollies, or is the suspension back on ?

You might be driving it reasonably soon
David
1974 412LS Variant

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th March 2019 - 11:55pm

Yeah the ole bangers been back on its wheels since august time.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3094&start=425#p65349

I aim to have it on the road in the next week or so. Im stupidly signed up to display at stanford hall and need some shake down time. It wont be finished but itll be road worthly which is all i dream of for now.
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 31st March 2019 - 9:53pm

Right lets get current then, I came in from the garage half an hour ago so it wont get more up to date than this.

I think we need to see some body panels and beading. its a touch more exciting than window frames. With the WCM wing beading kit I made a start trimming and shaping. Ive deiced to go black for now and I can always remove it and paint it later if I decide I dont like the black.

And the beginnings of some panel alignment.

Feeling motivated I though id get the doors built up, I went to get teh 1/4 lights from the loft which I had already restored before putting them up there. Only to find I hadn't restored them. So it seems Ive taken the memory from another project and applied it to this one :( I never enjoy doing these and its always time consuming. Another set back.

Time to have it all to bits and throw it through the blaster.

Removing the glass from the frames was the usual pain in the arse it always is. Over an hour spent on each but both are out with out any glass damage. I then knocked the rivets out holding the knob on and these were blasted too.

Once cleaned up, epoxyed and top coated in silver.

Needless to say the frame sealed were goosed, And these hardly a mention of them online, so I didnt hold out much hope of finding any, so took a chance and bought a pair of beetle ones hoping they would be right or a bit too long. As luck would have it, theyre a bit too long.

Fresh rivets applied to the knob and then a good hour or messing about and rubber malleting got the thing in.

The hinge frame seals needed a bit of work before I installed them. Lots of bits from the mould needed trimming off and finessing to get it anywhere near fitting the in the frame.

I also had a good go at the glass with a wolly pad on a drill and some glass polishing compound. Its come up very well, you can hardly tell its there in this photo.

I then made up the passenger side and left the two assembled over night to start stressing the rubber into place. This afternoon they were then rehomed in the doors. And im quite pleased with the results, I think thats the last job I wasnt looking forward too now completed. Should speed along quite nicely now.

And finally for now, I loosely fitted the door seals and shut the doors just to give them a bit of for from when I come to glue them on having been stored like this for over a year.

The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th April 2019 - 12:32pm

Lots of lovely detail on that report. Thanks broady.

What was the sound-proofing stuff you lined the engine compartment with? It looks like the original!
Dave.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th April 2019 - 1:02pm

Thank you, hopefully it will serve as a useful reference to someone one day!

Ive used this. Its pretty damn close and the price is right too. I will do the hatch at some point. But my focus is simply road worthy now. Ive been rather un well for a week and im acutely a wear Stanford hall is but weeks away.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/ ... felt-beige
The sultan of swing

Aaronslimvw

Post by Aaronslimvw » 8th April 2019 - 5:57pm

Great work! Love seeing your updates!

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 9th April 2019 - 9:35am

Ta very much, Nice to know someone is reading this :D
The sultan of swing

Aaronslimvw

Post by Aaronslimvw » 11th April 2019 - 9:24pm

😂😂👌🏼👌🏼

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 20th April 2019 - 2:55pm

Shall we have the big one then?

I found a gear knob but with no threads in so I made a little insert

That was a simple and enjoy able job. So further rebuilding I have one NOS head lamp bowl and 1 which ive had chrome powder coated. Bit of an experiment just to see how bright it is.

Assembling rather nicely.

I got on with fitting the front indicators and head lamps, the bezels will need re chroming at some point in the future. But ill live with them for this summer.

Following this, I gave the inside of bumper a good scrub down and then but some rust beater in. Then a couple of coats of paint, followed by a coat of dinatrol wax.

The chrome isnt too bad, but again it will need to be done at some point.

Ive then decided to go for a bit of interior work. I got on and forgot to take photos. I installed a plastic membrane on the door along with some blocks of foam on the door operation mechanism to stop rattles. I then bag these nearly new window winders for next to nothing.

Some glazing then followed, A tad more tricky then I expected. But all went in after 2 or 3 goes.

As I expect you've noticed, I put masking tape on the sills to protect them from chips and scratches as I got in and out. With work coming to an end, I removed it. And upsettingly it remove the paint with it on the drivers side. Ive no idea where as this hasnt happened anywhere else. But none the less I had to repaint it. That set me back another day.

Here is it once the weather warmed up a bit, parked on the drive as I carried on fitting bits like the rear lights and door handles

Ive started to run the banger about as a shake down and see what falls off. The brakes are still a bit of a problem, but the fronts lock so they do work well. The engines running a bit rough, but well enough that i can keep driving and it sits happily at 55-60mph.

The first failure was the starter motor, the nylon collars fallen apart and jammed the level. Luckily I had a spare so ive fitted that.

Sound proofing and interior parts to get on with next.
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 20th April 2019 - 5:50pm

You've really moved that on now, I would have been gutted with the paint coming off the sills. Which picture do you think captures the colour most accurately.

Isn't it handy not needing to go through the MOT process, and sensible seeing as you've just done a pretty full rebuild of the old girl.

Once you put the soundproofing in you know you are going to have to open the window to listen to the engine don't you. What do you think is wrong with the motor ?
David
1974 412LS Variant