1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
broady_6

Re: 1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

Post by broady_6 » 3rd June 2017 - 9:40am

Thank you for the comments, i have been progressing slowly in the back ground. Some photos appear to have gone missing. But only the infill panel, I used the obligatory cardboard template and a little bit of beating to straighten the rough edges.

Next step was the mount it to the air box and roughly mark out the seal mating face, from there i would be able to work out where i needed to remove metal to fit the deflector plate. Fortunately I had a hole saw just the right diameter, so i removed a coupon from each ends and then used tin snips to join the two.

As you an see the first attempt left a little extra metal to be removed. I used a sanding drum on the die grinder to do this is a fairly gentle and controlled manner.
I was then left with the unenviable task for grinding down the bulk of the welds, ready to fit the deflector.

Instead of welding all the way around I have drilled 6 holes and miged through them to hold it in place

Rather annoyingly I have clearly moved it during welding which has resulted in it being slightly wonky! :( But as its non critical Im going to leave it as it is.

I now need to run lots of seam sealer around it and then plenty of top quality sealing paint. And my double sided sticky foam seal arrived. Ive yet to work out how Im going to weld this on with the foam seal in place, but VW managed it!

And just to remind you where we came from, last night I started work on this

Im going to manufacture a removable panel to allow for cleaning and protecting.
Last edited by broady_6 on 30th June 2017 - 3:33pm, edited 2 times in total.
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 5th June 2017 - 7:57pm

Were in for a decent update this time then! For the first time in a long time I cracked on with a part of the fabrication and completely lost track of time, just pottering away and suddenly 3 hours had passed. I was full engrossed and fully enjoyed my Sunday afternoon in the sunshine.

Though this is spread out over the course of 3 days. Let me take you back to almost a year ago. Hold this image in your mind as you read on.

I needed to give myself a straight edge to work against in order to form the remainder of the repair. A little more CAD, I use the already straight edge of a cereal box as my datum.

And just remembered to take a photo before I got stuck into the welding!

Now with a decent reference point came the tricky part. From the inside, I forced a piece of card to shape while the missus drew around the outside giving me a rough idea of the shape I was trying to produce.

Before recreating this in metal I needed to hatch my plan. I want access to the inside of the airbox panel to clean and protect, the best way to do this is from above as it will avoid having to seal leaks on the underside. For this a little ergonomics had to be considered, so I cut a 45mm slot in some card.

I couldn’t get my hand through the gap, so I took another 10mm off and I could just get through.

As it mainly a hoover and shutz gun I want to get through it should be ample big enough.
Using the windscreen washer jet as the centre, I hope it is!? I mocked up a suitable panel in card.

I was quite happy with how it was progressing, it even looked like a good idea! So happy I took a break for a brew and then translated my bodgery to metal.

This is where I made a mistake! The hole saw bit and jumped out of the wood, as it’s a brand new saw its nice and sharp, it took a bite out of my panel. As im short on sheet material I carried on.

Before I went any further I decided I should check if it will actually fit.

With a very crude version of the shape followed nearly an hour of bend me shape me any way you want me. I used an old riveting dolly and a piece of tube to form the curves as best I could.

I ended up using a couple of tiny pie cuts to get the curves, I have returned my friends strinker so that wasn’t an option this time.

Then came the long and steady job of welding it in, this proved very difficult. Not only to avoid the distortion. But also the wind picked up on Sunday afternoon blowing my gas away. I ended up hanging some old sheets from the bonnet to make a make shift enclosure. It worked 90% of the time.

And finally the boring bit, ground down and coated in etch.

Last edited by broady_6 on 30th June 2017 - 2:51pm, edited 2 times in total.
The sultan of swing

Chino

Post by Chino » 6th June 2017 - 10:46am

Nice work, looks like a decent solution. Such a PITA job, not something I ever want to do again lol

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 6th June 2017 - 8:20pm

yeah it has been, at least youve got your original metal to work with! I wish id understood mine a lot sooner, like 6 years ago. Id have saved myself a lot of bother
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 11th June 2017 - 6:36pm

nothings happened this week, ive been prepping one of the other toys for sale, and pleasingly it sold yesterday so ive now got some decent budget for this girl! going to order a couple of window seals this evening .
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st June 2017 - 10:01pm

I suppose I best tell you whats been going on.

This update will be a little like star wars, jumping back and forth. But there is method to my madness.

I set about the cover panel for the blister under the bonnet. I had a bit of stainless of suitable thickness, a grown ups drawing of the dimensions

I marked out the radii and used tin snips for a rough cut and finished with a belt sander, 3/4 done here.

I plan to fasten it with Dzus fasteners to squash it against the seal

In the mean time the hard working van drivers had been bringing me these front and rear screen seals

So heres the first jump, as I don't want to open a tube of seam sealer and then have it go off, I painted the inside of the blister with etch primer and then two coats of primer. I will return to it when I seam seal it and then top coat it.

My attention was drawn to removing the windscreen as I now had the seal. Knowing one corner needed a repair I borrowed my friends strinker again.

As you can see a pretty obvious hole here

Again the folder at work was very helpful to make the basic profile for the screen

I don't need to say a lot here, marked around the rust and pitting.

With the welds blended

Its had a couple of coats of primer inside and out, and is now another job waiting for that tube of seam sealer

With the light starting to fade I decided that the small amount of rot on the other corner needed sorting. Although its not an issue now, it wont be many years. But I haven't finished it yet so you don't get to see!
Last edited by broady_6 on 30th September 2017 - 9:01pm, edited 8 times in total.
The sultan of swing

Chino

Post by Chino » 21st June 2017 - 10:37pm

Good work as always, very envious of the metal work skills.

Tight yorkie mick

Post by Tight yorkie mick » 22nd June 2017 - 5:00am

Nice repair , like it

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 22nd June 2017 - 8:08am

Chino wrote:Good work as always, very envious of the metal work skills.
Cheers, it just take practice. The first car I restored, I was quite pleased with at the time, now I look back at it I think oh crap that was terrible. There are even jobs on the fasty im not happy with now. Just all about taking your sweet time.
Tight yorkie mick wrote:Nice repair , like it
I thank you, looking forward to a big update of your thread!
The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 25th June 2017 - 1:22am

No pictures visible here from the latest posts - asking for my hotmail password when I extract the URL, then says it's wrong!

Later:
That's better! Thanks and well done - nice job.
Dave.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 25th June 2017 - 7:43am

Ah yes, well spotted that man. I got fed up with photof&*kit. You cant do anything with out 10 adverts popping up. So I've started using my onedrive space but forgot to turn the privacy off
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 25th June 2017 - 8:08am

Give that a try and let me know :D
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 25th June 2017 - 8:40pm

The corners are now complete.

This side wasn't through. But there was some heavy pitting and it was getting a bit crispy so in for a penny......

Gently mocking it all up, this time I skipped the CAD

As you can see, I shouldn't have as its about 5mm too bloody short!

So here's Mk2

Nom Nom Nom

After that little bit of massaging it dropped in quite nicely

And with a few steps skipped, you get the idea.

The next little job was my cover panel under the bonnet. I started by fitting my Dzus Springs

and the finished job, I really must do some action shots of these jobs.

Finally for today, I was bloody fed up of the drivers window opening about 3 inches then stopped and the arm would carry on. Then the glass would suddenly drop, I know one day this was going to result in smashed glass.

The reason why is this rotten piece of rubbish

I had a look in one of my spare doors, unfortunately it was a passenger door and the lifter channels are handed. But its better than nothing. One tiny hole

I gave it a trip through the sand blaster then server coats of paint. itll do me this year and goes on the job list for the winter

Last edited by broady_6 on 30th September 2017 - 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 29th June 2017 - 8:08am

Can you see the photos Mr editor?? Or anyone else?
The sultan of swing

Chino

Post by Chino » 29th June 2017 - 9:46am

Coming through loud and clear here Broady :

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th June 2017 - 3:25am

Yep, all good, apart from the rust!
Dave.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th June 2017 - 8:10am

Super, going to update the thread and loose all the photofuckit links
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 30th June 2017 - 11:13am

broady_6 wrote:Super, going to update the thread and loose all the photofuckit links
You got the ransom email too :)

Thanks for going to the effort of re-hosting the pics, some very nice work for everyone to look back to :thumbsup:
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 1st July 2017 - 9:30am

Yeah, I emailed them last week and told them what I thought of their service you cant do anything without 25 adverts a second popping up and that I won't be using any more.

Then to follow it up with an email that says they're disabling my links made me laugh. I think they call it closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. So I emailed them again and said well done. You've blocked a user who isn't using it any more 😃

I managed to get a couple of hundred done last night
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd July 2017 - 10:37am

Well i think ive done it, all pictures updated. Let me know if ive missed any. And ive got a decent update coming later :D
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd July 2017 - 9:17pm

I feel I owe you an update some lovely progress and wallet emptying. This is going to be photo heavy! Sorry if it hurts your bandwidth The next job was to test the quality of my new windscreen seal. I first had to select a screen. I’ve got three and the original one showed laminations in the sunshine which got annoying on sunny evenings.

As it turned out all 3 showed this though one to a lesser extent. So, I used that.

The seal its self was a good fit to the glass, and was reasonably tough to get on. So, I took this as a good sign.

An action shot installing the screen just before the string snapped! I couldn’t find the proper wax cord I used last time.

So I got my hands on some nylon cord.

I wasn’t very impressed with the fit, I assume this is due to the lack of moulded corners.

After a few days, this has settled and it doesn’t sit quite as proud. But in my haste, I bought the chrome trim as I hope this will open up the rubber and push it into the corners. Never having had the chrome for the windscreen I don’t know how it should look.

So time to take the plunge and bond the rain deflector panel in. Ive used a combination of double sided sticky foam tape and tiger seal.

It hasn’t sealed perfectly, im not entirely sure why, but in order to get me out for the summer ive gummed it up with more seam sealer and will revisit this in the winter. It was never going to be easy!
I carried on the spending spree and bought a pair of sills to go in the pile for winter work.

They certainly look good quality and the right shape. Folds and creases in the right places and a little extra metal for trimming.

Something which has always annoyed me but ive never been prepared to spend the money on the second hand ones ive seen on ebay at over £100 a go. A large lump of my steering wheels missing. I assume someone has tried to pry the horn bar off and broken it.

At £35 this was worth a punt, it has no lumps missing just a couple of small cracks which will easily be filled.

Ive also bought a number of other rubber and fastener odds and sods. I don’t need too many bits to have a complete car now
My last major welding job for the next 4 or 5 months now seems to be complete, a fine and sunny weekend I pulled the car on the drive, in front of the garage from under cover feeling confident it wouldn’t rain until I had finished. The rear screen seal was so hard you could only just press a nail into it.

Even with a Stanley knife it was very hard to cut and took about half an hour to remove. I knew on the OS vertical I had some holes to repair, but I was curious to see what else had suffered. The near side bottom corner was more or less fine. I cleaned it up and gave it some rust beater.

The same couldn’t be said for the other side

Wasting no time I got the wire wheel on it to see exactly how shot it was and then started cutting out around the holes.

A nice easy one to make.

Here we go then, a challenging shape to make in a onner. I now realise I don’t have a photo of the hole. But you’ll get the idea of the shape.

I couldn’t get the strinker to chomp this tight enough to get he profile for the corner. So I had to add one pie cut.

And a second cut

I made a rough profile gauge from the corner of the glass and checked it against the undamaged corner and my repair before I welded it in.

Id say they look about the same :D

I was starting to loose the light as it was about 2130, and I expected the neighbouring wouldn’t appreciate angle grinding at that time so I covered it in primer and left it for the night

Filler and sand time, actually didn’t take much to shape up. I thought it would be much harder.

And here we are back at the start only 24 hours later, it was a complete sod to fit. Which I took as a good sign it must be a nice tight seal. The seal its self-had moulded corners which made it fit the glass perfectly. It’s the ISP seal so if anyone is looking id recommend it

The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 2nd July 2017 - 10:22pm

3 things I almost hesitate to tell You James, but here they are anyway:
With VW's You have to put the Chrome trim in to the seal, before it goes on the car
How do You think You're going to get the teeny screws into the top corners of the dash?
Your isp seal... They're made by/on behalf of Simon Kelley (notch1500) so if You need any other seals, contact him directly & cut out the middleman

Stand by for questions on the shrinker.. I've just been given a pair of them!

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd July 2017 - 10:39pm

Oh bugger!! At least i plan to have the windows out again in the winter. I got the dash out with the screen in. I've got a bendy screw driver end that does the job nicely. Hopefully ill get then back in. But I'm running dash pad less this summer

Super that's where I got it from. Simon on eBay, it had an isp label on the bag so I assumed he had just imported a job lot. That's good to know ta.

I will happily answer any questions I can 😃
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 4th July 2017 - 12:12am

:thumbsup: Some nice looking welding runs there, I assume thats the welder rather than the kit being used :)
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 6th July 2017 - 5:10pm

its the kit, when i get it set up right! Some days I can weld like that all day, next day it looks like pigeon....... again. Luckily that was a good day :)
The sultan of swing