Early 1st year Fasty resto with a twist

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
crippled dick

Early 1st year Fasty resto with a twist

Post by crippled dick » 30th September 2009 - 7:22pm

Right here goes...

This baby is a first year fasty...
The history is a bit sketchy....French import...has the original and the French VIN/TAG plates still in place.
Was once owned by Wolfsburg Performance Services and used to pull race bugs etc around...had a chat with Ian and some pics on way of it in action pulling some drac cars around...add if have any more info…
Engine is 1641cc lightened and balanced bottom end, high rev double spring heads, twin 40 Dells.
Gearbox is out of a 1500 for that extra zip I suppose
Body off and floor pans and bottom 6" done by T3D 6 + years ago and still real solid.

Body work is not to bad....loads of dinks scratches and rusty holes around the usual places...lights, bottoms of both wings by the doors, tops of the wings and scattered around the rear wings..

Interior is shot and a pile of shite and I could do with some help with finding bits for this.....

Windscreen is goosed laminate is shot and near side windy glass is also goosed..

Now don’t shoot me but its going to be a fun car and not a pristine copy resto...its going to be plain primmer grey with sign written mentions or a full on airbrush monster.....depends on cost....advertisements and shout outs to those who can part with bits for the resto..

As i got it

After the strip out and prep for paint

Burn Baby Burn...

plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee » 1st October 2009 - 12:24am

nice early fasty dude will look the nuts when its dude ;)
1973 412 le
http://www.volkstorque.co.uk/vt/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=282

crippled dick

Post by crippled dick » 5th October 2009 - 6:52pm

plumcrazee wrote:nice early fasty dude will look the nuts when its dude ;)
Thanks matey its my first and a bit of a learning curve lolololo :lol:
Burn Baby Burn...

kyle

Post by kyle » 5th October 2009 - 10:24pm

its exacly same as mine but mine a E reg on sprints. its gonna look nice wen its done tho

keep up the good work
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

kyle

Post by kyle » 5th October 2009 - 10:26pm

oh n gettin rubbers is a major arm n leg operation!
:lol:
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

crippled dick

WILL I GET SHOT FOR THIS

Post by crippled dick » 6th October 2009 - 2:35pm

Been tinkering with paint ideas....

L650 Granada Red is the original colour...

was going to keep this as main theme....top half

with L41 Black feathered in the bottom half and fading...upto the trim line...

any thoughts anyone??? good idea bad idea....will you type 3 types shun me lololo

Honest though....likey or not likey :D
Burn Baby Burn...

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th October 2009 - 4:17pm

Good choice of main colour.

Play with photoshop to see what it looks like - I think if I went two-tone, it would be the white or off-white roof I would do - it was usually Pearl white for that - but the darker tone below is a viable alternative.
Dave.

crippled dick

Post by crippled dick » 6th October 2009 - 4:23pm

Editor wrote:Good choice of main colour.

Play with photoshop to see what it looks like - I think if I went two-tone, it would be the white or off-white roof I would do - it was usually Pearl white for that - but the darker tone below is a viable alternative.
Thanks Dave....so you wont shun me then lololo....

i wish i could and knew how to use photoshop i would give it a bash....

but i spose its like knowing the sex of your baby b4 its born spoils the surprise....or maybe adds to the dissapointment lololo...

oh the troubles... :D
Burn Baby Burn...

crippled dick

Post by crippled dick » 6th October 2009 - 5:08pm

crippled dick wrote:
Editor wrote:Good choice of main colour.

Thanks Dave....so you wont shun me then lololo....

i wish i could and knew how to use photoshop i would give it a bash....

but i spose its like knowing the sex of your baby b4 its born spoils the surprise....or maybe adds to the dissapointment lololo...

oh the troubles... :D
anyone want to photoshop the colours on the motor for me please xxxx
Burn Baby Burn...

kyle

Post by kyle » 6th October 2009 - 10:56pm

every 1 has thier own taste n im not a big fan of the top to bottom fade/colour switch on t3s cus its hard 2 get it to look right. but if i was to do it, i'd hav 2 pick some very VERY spectacular colours. the colours u want to do it are 2 stanard (off the shelf BORING colours) L650 is hardly red, more maroon! it needs a bit of flare n wowness about it and the 2 colours need 2 look good 2geva. i always think the darker colour shud go on the bottom no matter the car but theres some pretty cool models on these links below

http://www.autostyle.co.za/data/product ... _large.jpg

http://images.gittigidiyor.com/1935/Mai ... 7592_0.jpg

http://www.minimodelcars.co.uk/diecast- ... to-31307rc

u may like how that woody notch fades out on the front of the wings so the colour dont go all the way round the front

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garytherough/3396250506/

its ur car at the end of the day, do it how U like, others will either love it or hate it :) its not their car so y bitch?

go all out n do something new/rare or keep it in its comfort zone

if ur gonna use original colours id keep it original (1 colour) its hard 2 make 2 different colours go 2geva. u cant go wrong! especially with a lil drop nice shine n some nice shoes (wheels) keeps it all themed n authenic-ish!

peace n good luck 8)
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

crippled dick

Primertastic

Post by crippled dick » 12th October 2009 - 1:09am

Burn Baby Burn...

kyle

Post by kyle » 12th October 2009 - 9:34pm

u'll probly hate me for sayin this but those notches just under the reflector at the back aint supposed 2 b there. looks like its had a soft nudge. the resess on the side of the rear wings next 2 it is supposed 2 b there tho for the bumpers.
i see y u might think that they shud be there tho cus u got them on each side they need sortin b4 u paint! the wing needs unbolting n knock um out i no this is a late 1 but the bottom shud look like this
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

crippled dick

Post by crippled dick » 12th October 2009 - 11:47pm

Yeah well spotttted dude, they are coming out, was leaving it cause i was desperate to get some primer on with all the bare metal and that....im gona give the whole lot a dust with some colour and then a flat back to see the highs and lows...am gonna use the sliding hammer on them two weeny creases then a smidge of kipper tastic :D

thanks though pal and 10 out of 10 for observation....a while back i did think they should be there....as this is my first type 3 :badgrin:

keep it cool dude
Burn Baby Burn...

kyle

Post by kyle » 13th October 2009 - 12:19am

i didnt really wana critisize but i jus wanted 2 let u no. better 2 no now than when u show it people when its finished n they tell ya :lol:

wat did u think 2 those models then? cool aint they?! did it help with ur colour choice or issues on how 2 split it?
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

crippled dick

Post by crippled dick » 13th October 2009 - 12:29am

he he he no all advice is good matey.....yeah them models were cool....

have had some paint mixed up special he he he...

bottom is based on a honda colour ... pirate black with extra flake and some red ink added.....should be ubber sparkley

top is based on the original....L650 with the addition of ..... yup loads of sparkle

hope it works....or at least looks a bit like a crimbo tree :lol:
Burn Baby Burn...

kyle

Post by kyle » 13th October 2009 - 11:48pm

yeah that sounds good.
i got pirate black for my bug but it was off the vw colour chart and had the red pearl instead of the silver! :lol: the problems was that i painted the body of my car n spilt the rest of the paint n went back for some more for my wings n deck lid n the guy didnt say wat % of pearl he put in but i went with it anyway at 20%. this was loads better than wat i had b4 (i rekon it was 10% b4) but the black looked like it had a purpley tinge to it compared to the rest of the car n you can c the red more

hav a look its not really bad but u can jus tell. comare my wing to my bonnet.

i wanted green to match my sides in the black but it cudnt be done cus green is a weak colour so i jus went wid the red in the black
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

crippled dick

Post by crippled dick » 14th October 2009 - 12:38am

ha ha ha how funny is that...hope the red comes out of the black as good as the green on yours :badgrin:
Burn Baby Burn...

splitybus

Post by splitybus » 24th October 2009 - 10:30pm

Johnny,
Im glad the stainless wing fixing kit got to you ok especially with the postal strike right now. Also good to see the car they are going on too, looks great. Mine is not as close to yours to being on the road!

Let me know if you need any further fixings as i am listing more and more especially on my web site shop. Drop me an email if you cant see what you need. And good luck with the resto will keep looking at this one.

David

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 24th October 2009 - 10:55pm

Next time someone wants to play with colours..remember the type 3 selecta!

crippled dick

Post by crippled dick » 25th October 2009 - 10:35am

splitybus wrote:Johnny,
Im glad the stainless wing fixing kit got to you ok especially with the postal strike right now. Also good to see the car they are going on too, looks great. Mine is not as close to yours to being on the road!

Let me know if you need any further fixings as i am listing more and more especially on my web site shop. Drop me an email if you cant see what you need. And good luck with the resto will keep looking at this one.

David
Hey David yeah the wing fixings look real sweet and im liking the extras...small sill bolts and rubber washers....looks like they will do the job real nice. i would go for stainless every where but money is tight esp as not working just now lololo donations for free adverts on the car are still welcome he he he he Thanks again Johnny
Burn Baby Burn...