Nancy The Notch is poorly!!.........FIXED!!!!!!!!!!

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Paul Hayward

Nancy The Notch is poorly!!.........FIXED!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Paul Hayward » 1st November 2009 - 12:25pm

After a few gremlins in the early days of ownership Our Notch has been really reliable as my Daily Driver ........ On way to work monday she thought it would be a good time to self destroy her clutch :(

i had just got a new clutch release bearing as it had just started to make some noise a week or 2 before but she beat me to it so looks like the whole clutch will need changing judging by the noise it made :shock:

Bless her though .. she broke just by a nice quiet road.... "nd trip home with RAC in 2 years is not that bad :lol:
Having to work most weekends as well so will be a good month or so before it will get sorted i think?! i hurt my back a few years ago and have 2 dodgy discs so wont be pulling the engine out on my own that is for sure!! My good mate Andy is going to help me one evening ( in the dark n rain prob! :evil: ).. The only good thing is i will take my time and give the engine etc a good clean up / paint etc.. may even get rid of a bit of rust above gearbox / back end while were at it........

Bloody good job she didnt break on july 4th as she was our wedding car :D

Paul
Last edited by Paul Hayward on 3rd January 2010 - 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Editor

Post by Editor » 1st November 2009 - 5:14pm

Shame - it's funny how often our cars try to ask for help before failing completely!

Make sure the cross-shaft is OK.

If it has the sleeve over the input shaft, check it's not badly worn and grease it.

Use new HT clutch bolts if possible - it beats trying to remove the end if it breaks on removal next time.
Dave.

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 1st November 2009 - 5:50pm

Thanks Dave!
If ididnt have to work every sat n sunday at the moment it would of been done :( Think it will be at least a week or 2 before i can get my Mate round to give me a hand but she deserves a rest she has worked very hard the last year or so!

Fingers crossed it all goes well....... Miss driving the Notch sooo much already!!

Wont be long before im aircooled again :D ..The wife has said it would be good to get a square at long last :D ...Its gonna be a long week.. picking her up next sunday ;)

Maybe Nancy the Notch got upset that she s not going to be the only T3 in the family :lol:

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 3rd January 2010 - 6:45pm

AFTER 2 very very long months The Notch is back up n running better than ever! :D :D 8)

The clutch release bearing turned out it was about half the size it should of been :roll: ....fixed the studs at the same time so its not blowing and sounding like a tank anymore!! :badgrin: ..the nieghbours will be pleased..

Dont think they missed her as much as i have :D ..Big thanks to andy n chris for hekpin me out in the freezing frost this afternoon! ( Have dodgy back n couldnt risk takin engine out on my own.. cant afford time off work again :roll: )

Just got the 412 s engine to sort out n then the Notch can have a rest in the inlaws barn for the winter...

WELL PLEASED :D :D :D