Re: My Notchback.... One for the haters

Post by kg88 » 3rd April 2013 - 10:30am

love it!

what are the gauges you've used?
rusty red crotch... er notch.

Kai

Post by Kai » 3rd April 2013 - 10:28pm

kg88 wrote: what are the gauges you've used?

They are out of a porsche 944, 924 ones are similar. I have the white dial ones with blue led bulbs fitted which look like mk4 golf style gauges..... Quality haha.

You can get them in yellow and green dials too. Green are 924 and yellow are early 944.

The gauges are not an easy fit unless you want to go the whole hog and totally remove your dash pad like I ended up doing. The three gauges are all the same diameter and the out two in the type 3 dash are smaller. I also used my speedo to make a bucket/ bracket/ Holder thingy to mount the centre gauge.

kg88

Post by kg88 » 5th April 2013 - 8:42am

laughing I'm having difficulty getting hold of t3 mph Speedo so maybe a good alternative, .

what Speedo cable did you use? and how accurate is it?

cheers
Kris.
rusty red crotch... er notch.

Kai

Post by Kai » 5th April 2013 - 12:12pm

Hmmm, you may have come to the right place, I removed a perfectly good set of dials to fit my porsche ones. I wanted a rev counter and a water temperature gauge. Let me get the weekend out the way and ill try to get some pictures of what I've got if your interested.

As I recall fitting the porsche gauges isn't for the faint hearted
Last edited by Kai on 25th September 2013 - 8:03am, edited 1 time in total.

Kai

Post by Kai » 5th September 2013 - 9:50pm

Dave G

Post by Dave G » 14th September 2013 - 8:58am

Good to see an update - keep them coming!

Kai

Post by Kai » 27th September 2013 - 12:14pm

Had a rethink about my gearbox so I've ordered a new one. Got it booked in for four weeks with my mate to give me a hand getting it in there. Undecided whether to stick with the cable shifter or attempt to return it too a rod base system also I can't remember if there is enough room in the tunnel with the coolant pipes in there. With the new box I'm confident I'll be able to remove the box without removing the engine which will be a bonus however the box is going to be supplied "as new" so I shouldn't have to remove it ever lol.

Anybody want a 915 with quaife LSD installed?

Almost forgot, it's failed its mot..... But only on silly little things such as the us spec tail lights, blue headlights and the brake bits the guy wants P clipping all along the front of the car. Not bad considering he went through it with a fine tooth comb for 1.5 hours. Very happy as it's just an afternoons work to get it up to scratch. I'll swap my gearbox round and have another go at the mot in a couple of weeks also sporting new headlights which'll all probably hate haha

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 27th September 2013 - 7:02pm

I might be interested in the 915 box. Any more details Kai ?
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

Kai

Post by Kai » 5th January 2014 - 11:59pm

Still no MOT or new gearbox. I've got the box but it hasn't gone into the shop to be fitted yet.

Just been accusations bits and pieces really.

Kai

Post by Kai » 27th April 2014 - 6:22pm

Vw/porsche hybrid caps

Kai

Post by Kai » 27th April 2014 - 6:24pm

Kai

Post by Kai » 27th May 2014 - 11:55am

This front end of mine, having researched my options available for the front end of a type 3 it's from what I can tell is going to be the easiest. Any option requires fabrication. Either convert to a beetle frame head and then go with one of the double wishbone setups available or go custom. Going custom is probably my best option but..... Seeing as the later Porsches front end comes complete on its own subframe... The theory is to mount the subframe in the right place and construct two shock towers and using coilovers. Could all go hugely wrong.

I've also had my driveshafts shortened, had I of known I was going to end up with all this cayman stuff id possibly have had these shafts shortened providing the cvs would of fitted. Ill measure them
One day.

Last edited by Kai on 28th May 2014 - 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.

Kai

Post by Kai » 27th May 2014 - 11:57am

Sorted my throttle pedal issue, modified the throttle body cable bracket swingamagic. I've sorted out my fuel gauge issue, long story but with all the messing around I've done with swapping and modifying tanks I ended up altering my type 3 fuel sender to fit into my bodged fuel injection tank. The sender was fouling onto the internal swirl pot and I had to bend the sender to miss the pot. Consequently since fitting the 924 gauges I've never had the gauge working properly, and there isn't much info on the net about these never mind getting it all into a type 3. So since changing my tank again for a proper RHD FI tank ( came with the type 3 fuel sender ) I'd thought I'd filled the tank up before my last mot failure and the sender wasn't working with the gauge as the tank was full. Oh how wrong was I..... Within a 1.5 mile drive home from the workshop I was forced to stop three times and the final time I ran out of fuel. I was convinced it wasn't fuel but pulling the fuel sender and testing the gauge with the sender out confirmed that my type 3 sender does work with the 924 gauge and also that I was completely out of fuel. That was the second time that's happened to me. Filled the tank up and it's so strange to only get 40 litres into a car, all my other vehicles hold at least 70 litres.

Anyway, been an exciting past few days for Kai, passed its MOT Saturday morning at 08:30, had it taxed by 10:00, Sunday it made probably it's 3rd/4th show in 7 years of ownership and by Sunday afternoon I'd fucked the new Subaru completion clutch I had fitted having covered roughly 70miles :smt023 what a disappointment googling "Subaru clutch judder", even more of a disappointment is being becoming one of these suckers experiencing it. In any gear with the revs below 2800 rpm is get horrendous clutch judder, couldn't use 5th as the car shock too violently, had to pull away in 1st gear at 3000 rpm to avoid the juddering. API suggested a few hard launches to help bed the clutch in, didn't make a any difference and the car was horrible to drive and pretty stressful. Relief was only found after Richard suggests slipping the clutch in 3rd gear with the handbrake one. It appears I did this once too many times as over 70miles of driving and a number of attempts to bed this clutch in its actually given up and is now f****d. Much to my delight as it happens as it was ruining my car for me. Have a standard replacement already on order and I'm fitting it this Thursday night. Hopefully the road will be much smoother from now on :)

Throttle butterfly mod

Here is the UJ we made for the Subaru box. It's a steering UJ cut and shut to fill the hole. This is it in its raw state.

Porsche sub frame again for you all to see, it measures 57" plus the hubs will add a little more.

New led headlights, still needed adjusting here.

I have a 2013 BMW which has led headlights too.

Here they are together, all in all, they are massively impressive. Full beam isn't anywhere near as good as the BMW's but the dimmed beam is a vast improvement to the previous H4's and I'd say a must have upgrade for anybody wanting decent lighting.

Car at dubs in the park

Kai

Post by Kai » 27th May 2014 - 11:58am

70 miles in, new clutch and new gearbox oil. Car now drives superb with the STI P1 clutch apart from the relentless error code 33. Driving in limp mode sucks balls but the new super light super smooth judder less clutch has made the car. Still have an endless list of things to do to the car but non of this will see it removed from the road now. Well happy.

Want clutch, yes those are areas missing.

Going to see if I can get this changed under warranty :)

Pixie dust build up on the inner pressure plate

Cosmetic marking to the flywheel

What a guy!!!

Kai

Post by Kai » 27th May 2014 - 11:59am

VIDEOS!!!!! Or do the kids call them MP4's these days?!?!?

http://youtu.be/BZNrRtn_p6E

This is me warming the clutch up

http://youtu.be/Sp0NX1hTHoM

http://youtu.be/TUUDw9N1C80

Angelo Amato

Post by Angelo Amato » 28th May 2014 - 1:05pm

lovin' it.

great work. :thumbsup:

Kai

Post by Kai » 12th October 2014 - 10:22pm

Hey hey, it's been a long while. Bug ham was ages ago. Took the cheetah to bug jam, notch stayed at home. Needless to say I've not done much to the notch. Been hugely side tracked with the cheetah and selling the house getting ready to move too. What have I been up too??????

New prodrive back box,

OE dump valve

Subaru speed senser

Rear spoiler

Front spoiler and a 40mm whack with the lower stick

The front tyres are now rubbing..... A lot..... But it just looks so dam cool now :)

I've swapped the 14mm front wheel spacers for some 10mm ones. Still rubs. Now I'm thinking of swapping the rear 5mm ones for the front 10mm ones. I'm looking forward to sorting out the front on of the car out now. Lowering the car I've lost some caster which is noticeable within the steering, I've still not managed to refit the steering dampener either so the steering isn't exactly great at the moment. Looking forward to getting started on the front but with another house move this is probably not gonna happen for a while so in the mean time the wings will be coming off for some rust repairs and arch work. Got a bit bored of the look of the car and the dodgy damage to the paint also the entire germanlook business, thinking retro touring car now.

Kai

Post by Kai » 23rd October 2014 - 11:57am

Felt like its about time some winter resto work began.

Wings removed.

Kai

Post by Kai » 12th January 2015 - 3:05pm

Three months later and it's fibally back in pieces. Matey manager to use an entire rank of fuel just moving the car in and out of the workshop for the last two months. Engine has a cold start problem as its not running right when it's cold as it just wants to cut out when it's revved. Probably an airleak, that an the ecu needs its run in period. Not that'll it'll get long on the z4 ecu as it'll be going for a tune up in the next few weeks. Aiming for 320bhp.

I've reworked the front gearbox mounting and fitted polybushes. Made a huge difference to the vehicle. The engine feels more solid and the troublesome engine judder I had below 2000rpm has been reduced loads. Still there slightly so I'll change the Subaru engine mounts next. Forgot to get the pictures of the alteration to the mount though.

Kai

Post by Kai » 12th January 2015 - 3:07pm

Angelo Amato

Post by Angelo Amato » 13th January 2015 - 5:39pm

a lot of work there. well done ;)

Chino

Post by Chino » 18th February 2015 - 8:06pm

Took some pics for you:

Hope those are useful.

Kai

Post by Kai » 19th February 2015 - 8:50am

Chino, your good man. Thank you.

I will definetly be pulling the arm off and flipping it round. Hopefully there is enough room so the tank doesn't foul upon anything.

Kai

Post by Kai » 5th August 2015 - 11:13pm

It's been a long while.....

I can confirm that the flipped arm mod I mentioned in earlier posts will work. But it doesn't mess the steering up. So now I've opted to have a bump steer kit fitted to my existing steering arm. Just not got round to it yet.

On another bummerr note. Was mentioned on the shop talk forums about gaining front negative camper. Basically stick a spacer into the splined area to push the bottom torsion arm out thus creating negative camper for the front suspension. Currently I'm sitting at +1.5 degrees camper. Most modern handlin are are at -1.5 camber. So I need to gain 3 degrees of negative camber. So I've done the spacer mod.... Worked fine on one side but not so good on the other. Fitting the spacer has exposed the wear to the lower arm bearing on one side. Basically the arm is flipping around like a saggy boob now as the bearing is providing no support. New bearing ordered........ Just no time to fit it. Roll on another month and I may have the thing MOT'd again. Just having too much fun with my camper at moment but I am missing the having the notch on the road at the moment. One day soon :(

markymarc

Post by markymarc » 23rd August 2015 - 6:34pm

Firstly may I say.......I love this Notch.....I wish I had the mechanical knowledge to complete a project like this.......i can understand that some think it is wrong to ruin an original car but if it keeps it on the road then that is great right?
I have had my share of haters in the past with my projects but hey if we were all the same it would be a boring little life we lead, so embrace life and do what makes you smile......mark.