71 fastback light resto

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
rob.teuke

71 fastback light resto

Post by rob.teuke » 1st September 2010 - 7:06pm

morning all.

as the title suggests this is my 1971 fasty light resto, bought the car off my sister who had had it over 18months and done nothing with it, i was looking at beetles but thought ahhh why not its something different!

my sister bought it as a non runner, i think maybe off this forum?? MPH851L if that reg rings a bell?? this so caled garage mechanic told my sister thats it was ballsed and will need a new loom or engine because there it no spark.... quoting hundreds of pounds to fix thats why it wasnt bothered with! but a long story short it was a combination of the wrong dizzy cap/rotor arm and wrong firing order. but anyways after a few questions on here and some research she's now a runner!

anyways so its been sat on my drive for the past 18 months slowly degrading, so before its too late ill bring her back to life. to be fair its mostly solid only a few wee holes dotted over the place, ds front corner of the screen, ds passenger window seal is damaged and caused a leak and a few odd ones on the slope of the roof but not in the gutter rails ( quite odd i think )

anyway here's a few pictures from when we picked it up till 18 months later when i have just started the resto

http://img829.imageshack.us/g/16052009202.jpg/

this second link is me tracing the rust worm!

http://img819.imageshack.us/g/01092010161.jpg/

84gravytrain

Re: 71 fast back light resto

Post by 84gravytrain » 1st September 2010 - 10:12pm

Cool car mate!

Good luck with the resto! Im also carrying out a light resto on my 72 square :D and when looking for a bug I too stumbled across a type 3 and thought.......why not go for something different!!

What a great decision it was to 8)

Cheers Ross
Yellow,slow and low!

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 3rd September 2010 - 5:15pm

whipped all the glass out this week, ready to start doing the worm holes where the window seales have leaked, easy to get them out, dreading putting them pack in!

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 9th February 2011 - 8:29pm

so its been a while since i posted here, but iv done a bit to the old girl.

turns out this light resto wasn't quite as light as i had hoped ha ha.

so last post i whipped out all the glass, so i removed the front wings and found the front valence was literally an inch thick with filler!

out came drivers seat and a few hol in the floor but nothing major!

then the normal o.s front inner arch needed tiding up, been previously welded up and not too bad of a job done, so i just cleaned it up really.

then time to tackle the valence! after hours of nitromoors to soften the filler and scraping it off i finally got there, to find it wasnt rotten except both corners, which in my eyes is easy fix!

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 10th February 2011 - 2:22am

lookin good :)
we dont stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 10th February 2011 - 5:32pm

yeah its getting there, here's a few more pictures

the front airbox thingy was all rotten and full of filler so that had to get cut out and redone, and it was worse than i originally thought too!

i havent got any finished photos of it yet, so ill get some tonight.

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 10th February 2011 - 10:55pm

wow thats the most rotten airbox ive ever seen!!!!

Smiffers

Post by Smiffers » 10th February 2011 - 11:18pm

You should see mine!!!!

Cool fasty their fella, looking good 8)

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 11th February 2011 - 11:53am

thanks! sh'ee be good when its done! far from concourse conditin but more that ok for to plod around in.

yeah the bloody airbox was a surprise to me too! so from now on the car has been called project fillerback as the sheer ammout of quick filler bodges that iv found in it!

but yeah when its done think im just going to roll it on black steels with the hubcaps dropped 3 splines, might make myself a roofrack then try to pick up a mesh visor, also try to find some period front fogs/spotlights, i think it'll look a bit col then!

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 12th February 2011 - 2:20am

rob.teuke wrote:thanks! sh'ee be good when its done! far from concourse conditin but more that ok for to plod around in.

yeah the bloody airbox was a surprise to me too! so from now on the car has been called project fillerback as the sheer ammout of quick filler bodges that iv found in it!

but yeah when its done think im just going to roll it on black steels with the hubcaps dropped 3 splines, might make myself a roofrack then try to pick up a mesh visor, also try to find some period front fogs/spotlights, i think it'll look a bit col then!

nice idea but dont 4get to buy shortened shox if u going 3 splines dude cos thats pretty damn low....
ive gone 2 on the rear with steelies and standard 165.80s and its shit hot with perfect tyres clearance
whilst keeping a slammed look..and standard shox...front ive fitted shortened shox cos im runnin 45 profile tyres
with 3 inner spline drop....get it slammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmdddd :D

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 12th February 2011 - 11:32am

ahhhh yeah i havent forgotten about the shocks! any pictures of your car at all??

rob

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 14th February 2011 - 6:46pm

so i got the front clip finished this weekend, it will need a very light skim of filler to be perfect, but considering the tools i have im very pleased with the results!

i also started the front beam clamp modification too, but havent finished that, as i didnt have the correct size box section, but i found a piece at work today so all systems go in the department now!

Editor

Re: 71 fastback light resto

Post by Editor » 15th February 2011 - 12:19am

Excuse my editing the thread title - I've been wondering when you were going to restore the back light! D'oh!
Dave.

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 15th February 2011 - 4:30pm

ha ha no worries, its taking me a tad longer than i thought!

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 15th February 2011 - 5:02pm

done some more which i had forgot, i had to re-skin the rear of the engine bay as it had rotted out a bit!

it turned out it was worse than it looked do i decided to cut the lot out a make up a new skin. it was a bit of a pig to do, drilling out all the old spot welds, a few knocked fingers with the chisel but it makes for a much nicer job!

then it was just time to make new panels then weld and polish it up.

so all in all im getting closer and closer every weekend. 8)

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 19th February 2011 - 10:14pm

3 inner spline drop completed on the front tonight, tomorrow ill tackle the rear!!

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 20th February 2011 - 5:03am

rob.teuke wrote:3 inner spline drop completed on the front tonight, tomorrow ill tackle the rear!!
pics or it didnt happen!! 8)

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 20th February 2011 - 10:40am

its not on its wheels yet but this afternoon, tackling the rear today too.

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 20th February 2011 - 6:26pm

dropped the front and back this weekend, and threw the wings on just to see how it looks. maybe a little lower on the front.

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 20th February 2011 - 6:42pm

rob.teuke wrote:dropped the front and back this weekend, and threw the wings on just to see how it looks. maybe a little lower on the front.

wow mate its lookin awesome!
wen you question droppin the front more what tyres r you runnin up front?
Ive got 195.45 and with the profile being only 45 its dropped the front a smidge more so giving that
slight rake look and the bottom of the beam is clear enough for me to drive on most roads.
looks good in primer...mines that for the time being

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 20th February 2011 - 7:10pm

i think the fronts are 165.65 on the front, but i am going to have to change them so 45's it will be! by the way its not in primer that the original paint, on it which is holding up quite well!

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork » 21st February 2011 - 11:42am

Seems this light resto is quite a job! good work, don't fancy tangling with too many speed bumps in there though!!
wenn es nicht luftgekühlt ist, dann ist es nicht cool

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 21st February 2011 - 1:48pm

ha ha yeah the phrase, can of worms comes to mind here..... but aiming to got it to stanford hall which ( funds allowing) is possible! well suprisingly is actually higher than i thought it'd be at the front, so hopefully they wont be too much of a problem!

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 21st February 2011 - 6:16pm

wow mate its lookin awesome!
wen you question droppin the front more what tyres r you runnin up front?
Ive got 195.45 and with the profile being only 45 its dropped the front a smidge more so giving that
slight rake look and the bottom of the beam is clear enough for me to drive on most roads.
looks good in primer...mines that for the time being

just looked at the tyres, there kumho's on the front 155x15 no proflile size on the wall, and the rears are remoulds of the same size, but again no profile so at a guess im going to say 65's as the walls are quite large!

ozzy

Post by ozzy » 21st February 2011 - 9:06pm

if there is no profile size on the wall of a tyre then its 82 profile which is fine to mix with a 80 profile on the same axle.i.e 155/80x15 is near enough the same size as 155x15 to be legal on the same axle