71 fastback light resto

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Editor

Re: 71 fastback light resto

Post by Editor » 7th September 2011 - 11:22pm

I saw on a VW site the other day they ask 50 Euros for the Birth Certificate now. Outrageous!

For club members, I can send you a letter that is accepted by the DVLA as proof of year of manufacture. If it's 1971 or newer, I can tell you the likely date of manufacture if you confirm the digits on the body plate (on the end of the front panel - see http://home.clara.net/hallvw/dating.htm . (That's the page that gets the most hits - must be the 'dating' bit!)
Dave.

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 13th September 2011 - 9:41pm

i never knew that mr editor! i have a little bad news, my sister was out in the car today, and she's had a little prang. someone hit her from behind whilst the was stationary turning right into a junction. bent the rear bumper and valance and corners of both rear wings. its not histerical damage but still its not an easy fix! ill post some pictures up over the weekend when i have a closer look.

rob

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th September 2011 - 10:43pm

That's a shame. The bumpers can often be pressed out with a 6" G-clamp and wood blocks - even significant dents. Don't try a hammer or the chrome gets sprung off. It probably wont't be perfect.

You can't get behind the rear corrner too easily, and removing the rear wings is a bit of a pain, but you obviously know that.
Dave.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork » 4th February 2012 - 1:00pm

rob.teuke wrote:i never knew that mr editor! i have a little bad news, my sister was out in the car today, and she's had a little prang. someone hit her from behind whilst the was stationary turning right into a junction. bent the rear bumper and valance and corners of both rear wings. its not histerical damage but still its not an easy fix! ill post some pictures up over the weekend when i have a closer look.

rob

Just read this Rob, gutted for you, what's the current situation?

Si
wenn es nicht luftgekühlt ist, dann ist es nicht cool