64(i think) Square 1500s

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Olly

Re: 64(i think) Square 1500s

Post by Olly » 18th May 2011 - 1:33pm

it has a genuine 50000Kms, which is pretty damn good I think.
To be honest it is very solid (though im no expert, as you may be becoming painfully aware). It's had a little bit of welding on two rear and one front inner arches done by a mate but the sills and floorpan are good. the interior is very good apart from it needs a damn good clean and some trim needs to be re-attached here and there but the carpet isnt great. the only part i would say was bad would be a few dings in one door and the rear bumper and the rusty RHS front wing....oh and the engine not running, but that shouldnt be a problem for much longer.
It is fitted with a working Eberspacher.
I dont know if this makes a difference but i have lots off cool bits such as the tool box that fits in the spare wheel and rubber boot matt as well as both original sets of keys, MOTs and tax (swedish equivalent) back to 64 and a log of all of the journeys the car ever took.
im thinking i should be pushing them as high as i can with a valuation so perhaps its best I wait until I have had a tidy before sending them photos of grubby things?
Cheers for sharing your extensive knowledge!

Tris.

Post by Tris. » 18th May 2011 - 7:18pm

My '67 has an agreed valuation for £6500.
It looks no way near as clean as yours does, although it is difficult to tell from pictures (mine looks nicer than it is in pics).
Mine is generally rust free, but every panel is dented/scratched, the interior is not pretty.

I cant see you having any problem insuring yours for the same sort of ££ maybe more as yours is older...
Always looking for Razoredge parts...

August '62 Razoredge
October '65 Fastback (Teak)
March '67 Squareback

Olly

Post by Olly » 19th May 2011 - 11:34am

£6500 :shock: well if anyone wants to give me that for mine then PM me :p
can i ask who you are insured with? if i get any stick off mine i will give them a try

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th May 2011 - 11:38am

You have to state the condition of various major components, and the premium is charged as a % of the valuation. Companies generally have a range of values for the models, and will usually only query a valuation if you're outside the range. Apart from when the vehicle is stolen, there is usually a wreck to inspect. If it's clear you've over-declared the value, they can refuse the claim. I suspect in most cases the amounts insured are much less than they tend do deal with as claims, particularly if there's been injuries, and the agreed value would be paid, but it's worth reading the small print on any policy.

Years ago, a guy who wanted an agreed value about double what a top concours car was worth at the time had to justify it to the company. I think he was adding in all his phone calls to VW at Wolfsburg searching for NOS parts info etc, as he had almost rebuilt the whole thing, and to my mind spoiled a genuine low mileage car in very tidy condition. I've never seen it since.
Dave.