64(i think) Square 1500s

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Olly

64(i think) Square 1500s

Post by Olly » 5th October 2010 - 2:10pm

Hello,
Thought i'd introduce myself before i start to bombard these boards with questions.
I'm Olly and i have just taken possession of my first aircooled (or old car of any kind for that matter)
its a Sweedish beryl green 1500s i think its a '63.

Danny Lord

Re: 64(i think) Square 1500s

Post by Danny Lord » 6th October 2010 - 12:15am

Welcome to the forum Olly, very :cool: Square you have there :)
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 6th October 2010 - 10:46am

so whats the story here and whats the plans dude...v nice btw!
we dont stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing

Olly

Post by Olly » 6th October 2010 - 12:56pm

well, i have been looking for the right one for quite a while and this one was found for me by a mate whose friend imported it about a year ago and had to sell. my mate got it MOT'd for me and its currently sitting in the garage of another mate in cardiff as it broke down on the way home (swansea) after collecting it from goodwood, i made it about 150 miles then it died with 40 to go! i think its an ignition problem, the rotor arm and points look a bit worn, so thats the first thing. I also have to get it UK registered so if anyone can advise me on how to get the necessary papers from sweeden it would be much appreciated.
After that and a general tidy up im not completely sure. maybe put a 2.3 or something in it when i have the funds and store the orginal motor, needs to drop a bit more at the front too and some sprintstars perhaps. i really dont want to go over that patina but one of the front wings is a bit of a mess and im not sure i could ever get the paint matched well enough so some gaffer tape will do on there for now.
where is the best source of parts? its still 6v and i want to get this ignition thing sorted could anybody advise a good supplier?
cheers

Olly

Post by Olly » 6th October 2010 - 12:58pm

ooh, also where do you get the type 3 avatars? i want one :)

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th October 2010 - 12:04am

There's an avatar gallery on the site -
User control panel, top right on the screen.
Select Profile on left side of screen
Select Edit avatar
Select Avatar gallery (right panel)
Choose one....
Dave.

Olly

Post by Olly » 7th October 2010 - 10:25am

Thanks Dave

I shall keep you all updated on my progress if i ever make any

any help with the registration issue would be much appreciated

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th October 2010 - 12:24pm

There's a list of what you need for registration of an imported car at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... DG_4022583 .
As it's an approved vehicle you don't have to go through that inspection, but you do need a certificate to show that it has been converted for driving on the left - ie headlights and maybe other things. Coming from Sweden it probably has seatbelts already; there was discussion as to whether these are required or not for an MoT, but I can't remember if we ever found out for certain! I'm sure DVLA will be able to answer your questions with authority, but the list of things required did include previous registration documents. They can't always be available though.
Dave.

Olly

Post by Olly » 7th October 2010 - 1:11pm

Thanks again
I work for the DVLA and have not been able to find anybody that can help me with this (it isnt my area obviously) other than to say i need the HRC to register it.
Somebody told me that you can send one of the plates to sweeden and recieve a HRC, though i havent been able to find anything on this either. its starting to do my head in.
I am starting to think that my best bet would be to obtain some proof of age and register it as a barn find, I think that this would then mean that it would need inspection but if it is already MOTd then i dont see the point of that (hopefully i am wrong)
im sure this would be even more frustrating if the car started and i could take it out :D

neatbeard

Post by neatbeard » 11th October 2010 - 12:43pm

Nice looking Square fella. Keep us updated.
Welcome to East Anglia - the arse end of England

'64 Volvo Amazon 122S
'72 Roofless custom Beetle "The Bathtub"

rustyt3fasty

Post by rustyt3fasty » 15th October 2010 - 2:08pm

where in swansea are you from olly, im from mumbles and currently restoring a 67 fastback, when you get the car back in swansea feel free to come over, be nice to see a solid one :lol:

Olly

Post by Olly » 18th October 2010 - 7:36am

solid may be an oversatatement but that sounds good, im in Ynystawe (between Clydach and Morriston) I will let you know if/when i get it home and running. i might join you for a cruise up and down the kingsway with all the corsas and fiestas. unfortunately, the exhaust fell off my polo workhorse on saturday coming home from rhosilli so that might put a slight delay on things :angry:

rustyt3fasty

Post by rustyt3fasty » 23rd October 2010 - 1:04am

what model polo you got, you may know my cars from seeing them around, white mk3 polo coupe lowered wide arched on 13 x 8 steels, and now got a matt black mk3 golf estate on pirelli p slots,
might be a year or 2 before i can cruise mine lol nearly finished the welding on the first side :(

Olly

Post by Olly » 25th October 2010 - 10:31am

its a Mk3 1.6CL its a heap of junk bit its quite nippy, the things go on for ever. its my second one and its done over 100,000 miles and i reckon its lost very little power since new. i have had it 2 years and its never needed an oil or water top up (i have changed it obviously, but still). off to my mates in cardiff this weekend with a load of spare parts for the square so i will hopefully be able to bring it back to life.

I'm pretty sure that i have seen the polo around, it sounds very familiar. is it on Ronals? I'm liking the sound of the golf, i have been thinking about replacing the polo with a golf estate or a bora before it dies on me/fails its MOT next year. That might not be an option after the square has taken all of my monies :\

Editor

Post by Editor » 25th October 2010 - 11:29pm

Our 1050cc Feb 1982 Mk 2 Polo (from Wolfsburg) did 145,000 miles, never had the head off but had to clean the oil screen in the sump as it wrecked a big end bearing at about 80K. Polished the crank scoring out from below, straightened the big end from its oval shape and replaced just that bearing and it still survived a further two student (all 3 males) learner drivers, (and even appeared on the front of a Wolverhampton Uni Booklet) but by then too much of the upholstery was falling apart and the handbrake mounting had failed for a second time, plus the brake pipes were corroding, so it seemed kindest to shoot it - drove it semi-stripped (the car!) to the recycling place, and they even paid us some money for it. You can't feel sorry for that service. We've never had as good service from the subsequent Spanish ones. BTW, Steve_O from ClubPolo (if you've ever been involved with them) is my youngest.
Dave.

rustyt3fasty

Post by rustyt3fasty » 31st October 2010 - 11:44am

polo was on weller steels, you got the square home yet mate? looking forward to seeing it

Kaleidoscope Eyes

Post by Kaleidoscope Eyes » 31st October 2010 - 10:02pm

Very very cool square you guys got there! :)

Olly

Post by Olly » 2nd November 2010 - 9:32am

rustyt3fasty, im sure i have seen it. maybe you'll get some loon waving at you one day, it might well be me. Unfortunately i didnt make much progress on the square this weekend as i accidentally became very very drunk. i'm going to have to head over to it a few evening after work over the next couple of weeks i think. i just want to drive the bloody thing!
Dave, the handbrake thing, i had a problem where the handbrake mounting bent up off the transmission tunnel it looked like it had the worlds most pathetic blob of weld holding it down originally. it was solved by sticking a bolt through it, is this a common problem? i thought it was a rare example of poor VW engineering when i saw it.
Thanks kaleidoscope eyes. (i cant remember the last time i said that :retard: )

Editor

Post by Editor » 2nd November 2010 - 1:38pm

Well if I had it and you had it, it's probably a common problem - on the earliest Mark 2s anyway. I think the later Mk 2 had a stronger job.
Dave.

rustyt3fasty

Post by rustyt3fasty » 3rd November 2010 - 8:06pm

yeah it a common think my mate ripped his handbrake clean of the tunnel in a mk2 squareback, if you want a hand on evening on a saturday olly id be more than happy to assist

Olly

Post by Olly » 12th November 2010 - 11:29am

Cheers Rusty, likewise. still no movement on this, i bought the car so that i had something to do with my spare time and now i dont bloody have any!! hopefully things will be better when it isnt an hour and a half round trip away!

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 13th November 2010 - 10:19am

Olly wrote: Unfortunately i didnt make much progress on the square this weekend as i accidentally became very very drunk.

tut tut lmfao sounds like a mate of mine...beer over resto 4 the summer....
come on dude you aint time to drink!....wanna see it on the road!
we dont stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing

Fastback-69

Post by Fastback-69 » 30th November 2010 - 11:40am

Hi Olly

I am from Sweden and i go on the http://www.transportstyrelsen.se and look at your car, here it is:

Maybe you have all the papers for the car in one of your pictures?
I look up your car and it is not register at Transportstyrelsen any more. So get the paper that way can be hard.

The owner in sweden should had return the plates to the Transportstyrelsen. Sure that he doesnt have the papers you need?

/Håkan

Olly

Post by Olly » 18th May 2011 - 11:42am

Hi All!

It's about time i provided you all with an update i think, The squareback has now been registered and is BDE 188B.

I am still to take her home but the day is fast approaching. I have replaced the Dizzy, fuel pump and had a general mess-about in the engine bay and have fuel and spark, but no go. I think/hope that it is just a matter of sorting the timing out and am waiting on a mate with his timing light so that i can finally have my first drive since collection :) exciting times!

Would anybody here be able to provide me with an approximate value for her? i need to sort out my agreed value insurance and am unsure what to ask for, i have seen a couple of early squares come up for sale and go quite quickly, both in similar original condition to mine (bar wheels) any help would be appreciated. As usual!

Editor

Post by Editor » 18th May 2011 - 12:26pm

Looks generally tidy - some rust on the panels, but not masses, interior good? I'd have said a realistic valuation for insurance would be around £3,000, maybe up to £4,000, as you have to consider how much it would cost you to find another. You will know if there are other things that need attention, or whether the interior is exceptionally good - a few photos don't always tell the whole story, and most agreed policies require a number of those plus description of the standard of body, running gear, engine and transmission. LHD detracts a bit - but a working petrol heater might up it! Obviously you'll want the engine running, then you'll have a better idea of what state that's in. What sort of kms has it done?
Dave.