fibreglass wings

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
84gravytrain

fibreglass wings

Post by 84gravytrain » 7th October 2010 - 3:11pm

Hey,

Looking at all options here as my front wings and quarter panels need a bit of attention due to rust and bubbling!

The obvious choice would be to get them back to bare metal,see how they are,prep,respray etc etc but what is the availability like of quarter panels and front wings for a late square?

Anyone no of anywhere that I could source/price them or find out more info on em????would cut out rust etc probs so could be really interested!

Thanks

Ross
Yellow,slow and low!

Editor

Re: fibreglass wings

Post by Editor » 7th October 2010 - 10:40pm

Good rust-free front wings are moving up in price as they become rarer - expect them to be a fair bit over £100. Various places bring parts in from other countries. I got a pair cheaply at a European show a few years ago. You may find better ones than yours at UK shows. Rear ones are generally a bit more easily found, and there's a good chance of getting those at say £50 or so. They won't be mint, but the rear ones respond quite well to repair if the metal is lacey rather than missing. Blasting and using woven glassfibre cloth is a neat way to sort this problem without having to get a welder - and neater than P40, though that does work. If you can find someone to weld in new metal and lead-load (body solder) the repair, it'll last many years. Any filler will tend to absorb water even through the paint film and will probably give further trouble, sooner rather than later .
Dave.

oldschool71

Post by oldschool71 » 8th October 2010 - 6:22pm

Where abouts in the country are you gravy train??

Andy

84gravytrain

Post by 84gravytrain » 8th October 2010 - 7:33pm

I'm in paisley,10 miles west of glasgow!
Yellow,slow and low!