'70 Square

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Retro_J

'70 Square

Post by Retro_J » 23rd April 2011 - 2:28pm

Afternoon all,

been lurking for a while and decided to put a bit of a thread together for my squareback.

I've been into early golfs for years, currently owning a '79 Mk1 5 door, and decided to buy my first aircooled about 6 months ago.

As far as the square goes it's a standard TP 1600, which runs and drives fantastically. Only changes are a two spline drop, the BRM's and the US spec rear lights / indicators

Plans are to replace the rotten stock exhaust, currently sorting a few bits with the welder, band some stock rear steels, tidy up the interior a bit and maybe drop it another spline on the front :ninja:

Other than that just enjoy it again in the next few months while the weathers still good

Thanks,

J

An arty one :lol:

Drivers side wing repairs

One of the Mk1 :D

Finally one of my daily. Not sure whats more expensive, restoring the square or trips to the petrol station in this :lol:

fastygaz

Re: '70 Square

Post by fastygaz » 23rd April 2011 - 6:53pm

Beautiful buddy!! :D
Used to have a mk1 to accompany my fasty but it was pretty thirsty and too much to have both and a daily so the one that supped the most and had to be taxed had to go...I miss it!!
Enjoy the good weather dude (having said that it's pissing down here!!), maybe see ya around!!
Gaz
If it ain't King James it ain't bible y'all........

Rystu

Post by Rystu » 24th April 2011 - 10:09am

How do J!

Looking ace mate, looking forward to seeing it pretty soon. I'll speak to Niall and we'll get some cruising done!
71 Fastback

Retro_J

Post by Retro_J » 6th June 2011 - 5:18pm

Thought i'd update this after two months :lol:

There has been a lot of metalwork going down on the square, with each one of the inner arches recieving some love.

Drivers side front -

Passenger side front -

Drivers side rear -

Passenger side rear -

Overall i'm really happy with the work thats gone into it, albeit more than I anticipated but what do you expect for a 41 year old car.

Hoping to have it back in a few weeks, then once it's back together and the finances have recovered it's MOT time !

Cheers,

J

veedub'n '77'

Post by veedub'n '77' » 7th June 2011 - 9:53am

Top stuff dude, lovely square. Be good to see the final product

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th June 2011 - 1:19am

I'm curious about the registration. RHD. Channel Islands, Malta or something?
Dave.

Retro_J

Post by Retro_J » 8th June 2011 - 10:40am

Editor wrote:I'm curious about the registration. RHD. Channel Islands, Malta or something?
I bought the car from a guy in Gurnsey, hence the plate thats on it :) .

It's originally a UK car - AYW133H :D

J

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 8th June 2011 - 7:26pm

bout time dudio!!!!!!!!!!!
we dont stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing

Retro_J

Post by Retro_J » 27th July 2011 - 10:11pm

Welding done : )

Hopefully back together soon !

J

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » 28th July 2011 - 1:06am

nice work dudio!
we dont stop playing because we get old.... we get old because we stop playing

Hip-2B-Square

Post by Hip-2B-Square » 21st August 2011 - 5:31pm

That is one lovely Square. You're very lucky - and those wheels look so good on it! :nod:

Retro_J

Post by Retro_J » 26th December 2011 - 6:29pm

8) Yeah, so it's been 6 months since i've updated this ............... :lol:

Progress on the square has been a bit stop / start, due to life and lack of $$$ :roll:

However I have the target of a trip to Ninove in march, so I need to pull my finger out and get it done 8)

Progress is as follows -

Finished exhaust and optional stinger :ninja: , to be fair it's already loud enough with the quiet pack on !

Whilst poking around the motor I found a nice surprise. Turns out the motor is a not so stock 1641, always wondered why it ran so well 8)

5.5's for the back, front's are standard - just as well when I drop it another spline.

Then a mini disaster :lol: Basically the temporary rear bottle jack holding up the drivers side rear failed and dropped the car ! Luckily I was on that side and my 6' 4" frame held the car in the air until we could support it 8) Was ultra lucky that there was no permenant damage, with only a squished rain gutter and damage door window chrome. The drivers door basically took all the weight, which was pretty impressive !

Safely back on the ground :lol: Inner wings bare metalled, etched, primed and painted post welding. Waxoil means no tin worm returning anytime soon ! Front end wiring also re-done.

A bit more complete and some accessorising 8)

NOS Bumper Overriders -

Plans are to sort some leaky brakes and finish the interior re-furb and external paintwork.

If the finances allow I also want to bolt on a 4" scratch built beam and dropped spindles for the front, hopefully before Ninove 8)

J

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th December 2011 - 11:25am

Lucky you - and lucky the mini wasn't still underneath!

I nearly lost a Type 3 over a 6-foot wall into the drop beyond, where it would have wedged bwteen the wall and the house wall - the brake calipers had seized, and rather than try to free them, I thought removing them and hooking them up would be quickest. Once the car was back on its wheels, of course, it started rolling down the drive straight for the drop. Luckily I had put a 4x2 further down the drive at an earlier stage when I was worried it could roll. I imagine we would have needed a crane to recover it, had it gone over.
Dave.