New Resto Project. 1968 T3 Fastback 1600TL

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
dubberclub

New Resto Project. 1968 T3 Fastback 1600TL

Post by dubberclub » 24th April 2011 - 11:45pm

Hi All.

At last I have found a resto fasty. She will need a fair amount of work, as since I have taken delivery have internally stripped her down, and found a few issues that need to be sorted out. Want to seek out spares first. Picture as bought. Thanks to Steveatutopia who I bought from.

Editor

Re: New Resto Project. 1968 T3 Fastback 1600TL

Post by Editor » 25th April 2011 - 12:12am

First warning - Don't throw ANYTHING away!

Some things can be hard to find, so make sure you have a replacement first. Even then, you may need a part of an assembly, bolt or tired looking gasket to match up...

Enjoy the restoration - it is most satisfying, but can be frustrating at times!
Dave.

dubberclub

Post by dubberclub » 25th April 2011 - 8:18pm

Dave thanks for the tip. After 26 years with air cooled VW.s I have learnt the easy way and the hard way.

The front carpets I have binned, but kept the front set as a template for the future. Rear pacel shelf cover, was not original so binned, but hardboard\insulation underneath ok. Rear silencer and tail pipe shot. Rear bumper mounting box sections shot. Battery tray shot, as previous repair of weld one side and silicon on the other is not going to last. Rear front inner wings on both sides need a profiled steel insert. Fuel fill pipe gaskets x2 both shot. Lower front valance to spare wheel well shot. Front and rear screen seals shot, but Steve gave me 2 new ones. Suspension Bump stops all missing. Rear engine mountings that are held in on a cross bar arrangement shot. Heat exchangers lower look newish, other tin work very rusty, still trying to work out this exhaust/heating system, more complicated than Beetle.

Dashboard top shot, but may consider having one made in 316 stainless steel then covering it. Clock shot. Fuel gauge working on that one. All 4 tyres shot. Front discs pitted, pads look newish. Do Mintex make discs and pads for Type 3?

Inner sill covers in foot well good, but a bit flaky around hot air grills on both sides. Outer sills front underside both sides require welding to be finished properly. Clutch bites late..normal??? Gears engage ok. Engine running lumpy, suspect near side carb stuck float.

Where is the air to the air filter fed from??

In front of rear buimper mount box sections on each side are a flap that opens. whats this for??

Fasty has 2 CV joints on drive shafts, would this have IRS suspension??

Engine oil very clean, but has 2 leaks somewhere.

Fan belt not been changed in ages, slips in the dynamo pulley.

Do HT leads, points, condenser, Ingition Coil, Dizzy Cap, Rotor, Fuel pump come from a Beetle of the same vintage??

Thats it thus far, any answers to the above or if you have bits, very much appreciated.

Jon :)

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th April 2011 - 12:35am

Air comes into filter from rear body - rear right inside corner, with a rubber duct.

Drain flaps to get rid of rain that gets into air intake louvres.

Yes - double-jointed rear suspension. In fact Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) just emans the rear wheels can move independently - swing axle is also IRS really! However quite a few (mildly ignorant!) people call the CV joint type IRS.

Most of them leak a bit of oil! It's called 'marking their spot'. Serious leaks should be sorted. Newly rebuild engines may be oil-tight for a time.

Fan belt rarely needs readjusting - it's done by separating the dynamo pulley halves and moving a shim or two to the other side of the outer half - from between to outside to tighten (pulley then has a narrower gap so belt rides higher).

Leads are Type 3 specific lengths, not Beetle. Fuel pump is said to have a greater flow rate than a Beetle. Check the ignition stuff in the Technical section of the forum - there is a list of what fits from the other VWs called PARTS-SWAP. Or go here http://home.clara.net/hallvw/partswap.htm .
Dave.

dubberclub

Post by dubberclub » 19th December 2011 - 12:55pm

Hi All

Its about time I posted an update of what is going on.

Engine : Basically chasing spares, managed to find some full overhaul kits for the carburettors, not overhauled yet. Managed to get some new pan cake filters. Still in progress with degreasing the engine, helped when it was out, but now its back in.

Gearbox : Engine was out as was not happy with the clutch pick up, fitted a 3 piece Sachs clutch and all is good now, still working on the linkage and bushes, that I have just got for the control rod. Gearbox oil changed.

Suspension : OSF and OSR shocks replaced. OSF bump stops replaced, OSF track rod end replaced, OSR IRS spring plate bushes inner and outer replace with neoprene types, covers yet to fit.

Brakes : OSF disc brake caliper overhauled, pads like new so need to change. Disc excellent. OSR brake shoes checked and all ok.

Body work : After a few posts on here,managed to find the ultra rare front OSF wing, god that was hard finding one, as so many of you had pointed out that my year only had that design for 9 months, paid £50 for it, but in almond green, but rust free. OSF rear inner wing, all cut out and replaced, sill closing plate and A pillar bottom replaced. Front apron OSF cut out and replaced with new metal. Drivers side inner sill replaced, small patch on the floorpan. Battery trays ( yes trays ) all heavily corroded, all cut out leaving a big hole between the transmission tunnel and the rear inner sill, Got a Karmann Ghia battery tray and modified it with some 2mm steel to create a new tray, just insert and weld up both sides, beautiful job! Front underside of apron cut off as rotted and replaced with new 2mm steel profiled section. ( Yes I invested in a bending vice with a roller )

Interior : Found a RHD dashtop, with a tiny little hidden split in it, not bad for £30. My old one like the Editor has said will be kept, just in case. Having a few problems of getting the front seats out, but will soldier on. The rears are out including the door cards, remarkable condition, just deep cleaned and now covered in cling film, till when I need to fit them back.

Boot : Nothing Done.

Front Boot : Fuel tank out, Steering coupling replaced, steering damper replaced. whole front area undercoated, New fuel tank sender from Machine 7 ( Just in case you need one ).

Bumpers & Chrome : Front and rear bumpers and overriders are with an electroplating firm, the front bumper tube bar if thats what you call it, is with the powder coaters as is the bumper irons. Windscreen chrome safely removed, as I am facing the screen seals to do, as got some originals from west coast in the USA.

Wheels : Not really sure what to do with these, recondition cost about £100 a Fuch wheel. Just bought Porsche original matt black centre caps at £20 a pop. many people say that I should sell these as is and get some copy Fuch wheels. What do you think?

Spares : Spent hundreds of late on all kinds of spares, that I will use.

Thats about it at the moment. I did plan to have this Fasty done before May 2012, looks like May 2013 at this rate. You always find things well after you have bought something don't you...?

Dubberclub 8)

dubberclub

Post by dubberclub » 16th March 2012 - 9:33pm

Hi All ( Update March )

Engine : Not done anything with engine, even though all parts have been procured. Still undecisive on what I am to do with the exhaust. Engine work will the last external job before I start the interior.

Gearbox : Linkeage still to fit and the slide bushes yet to do.

Suspension : Off Side front and rear complete.

Bodywork : Bought some dent pullers and removed some little dents. Replacement OSF wing yet to fit, await the wing beading to arrive this week.

Interior : Still cannot get the front seats out, everything I was planning on removing is out, but these seats are driving me mad :evil:

Boot : Nothing Done.

Front Boot : Fuel tank out/cleaned/powder coated and refitted. Steering coupling replaced, steering damper replaced. whole front area undercoated, New fuel tank sender fitted. Boot gulleys refurbished. Hinges sorted.

Bumpers & Chrome : Front and rear bumpers and overriders electroplating complete and stored away. Front bumper tube bar if thats what you call it, repainted and stowed. bumper irons now painted a stowed. Windscreen seal and rear screen seal I do not fancy doing as never done before, so think a trip to Volks Wirral to assist, unless Angelo if you are reading this can help?

Wheels : Going to keep the Fuch's and get them eventually restored, as they are original and i just like them now.
Spares : Not spending as much at mo, as have plenty to do.

Still looks like May 2013 at this rate to complete, minus a respray in the factory colour.

l469

Post by l469 » 17th March 2012 - 9:00am

front seats do you know there is a spring clip looks like a hair slide.
located front side of seat rail nearest the transmission tunnel. you need a screwdriver too
press the clip down so the seat can slide forwards over the clip.pretty dark in there need good eyes to spot
the buggers.good luck!