ozzy

PUSHROD TUBES

Post by ozzy » 9th August 2011 - 2:09pm

Just fitted these to stop the bloody oil leak

I wonder how long before they turn black.............lol

Editor

Re: PUSHROD TUBES

Post by Editor » 9th August 2011 - 11:58pm

Very pretty! At least you'll be able to tell if they do go black.
Quicker than pulling the heads. Are they the aluminium ones?
Dave.

ozzy

Post by ozzy » 10th August 2011 - 7:58am

yeah,but now I've swapped them I've encountered another problem,I never built this engine but when I first had it it ran like a bag of sh1te,popping and banging,so I stripped the carbs and found they had used cardboard as an inlet manifold gasket,so I swapped them,it ran loads better except when cold but I put that down to having no choke,not having much time to do my own cars up(bloody customers,lol)I left it alone,however now I've fitted these tubes I've found that whoever built this engine used cut-to -measure pushrods and a couple of them are too long(only by about 1mm) so now I've got to cut some back a little as a couple of rockers are keeping the valve slightly open.....or.......the valves are starting to bury themselves into the head,so I'm going to trim the pushrods to see if everything is alright,if not I'll have to strip the engine and rebuild it myself to MY standards.Oh the life of air-cools.......lol

ozzy

Post by ozzy » 7th December 2011 - 8:25am

Right,so I finally got the time to strip my engine down to the crank,left side head bolts were loose (that's the reason for my engine popping and banging)I've gotta take the new tubes out and machine the internals out,the pushrods are catching on the tubes due to my high lift rockers and due to that I can't set the tappets correctly..........you live and learn......I'll keep you informed of what's going on......shouldn't take me long

ozzy

Post by ozzy » 9th December 2011 - 8:30am

ok.little tip for you.if you have high lift rockers as I do,then you need wide mouthed pushrod tubes,they are 20% wider at the head end to allow the extra up and down movement of the pushrods,I didn't know this as stock ones where originally fitted,so I've got some Scat ones coming today seeing as everything else is Scat they should fit nicely