russbmx

Re: My 1970 Fastback

Post by russbmx » 1st September 2011 - 6:10pm

:thumbsup: look the nuts gary
looking forward to seeing it in the flesh

gary-pb

Post by gary-pb » 1st December 2011 - 9:58am

Ok, so after a few months of owning the fasty i am now drawing up a list of jobs to do. The first one is a biggy, and its going to be a full engine rebuild!! To cut along story short after a couple of weeks the engine started smoking a bit, turns out that a push rod tube has rusted through and has a hole in it. I decided to carry on using it and rebuild during the winter. However on the way back from Vanfest it got worse and only just made it home. The clutch also has had a judder in 1st gear since i bought it so i am guessing there is an oil leak from the real seal. I knew all these problems when i bought it so im not too worried. It makes life a bit easier as my did is really good at building aircooled engines. So as we stand at the moment the car is in the garage for the winter, the engine has been removed and we will start stripping it down after christmas. We have allready established that there is some tinware missing and the exhaust is shot, think it might also need new barrels and pistons. We are going to do a compresion test to check rings etc

The bodywork on the car is very good so once the mechanics are sorted out it will be a fairly good example. My plans are to track down some bumpers, tidy up the interior and use it for the show season next year.

I have allready spoken to some members on here and look forward to meeting a few of you at next years shows. Pics to follow

Dave G

Post by Dave G » 5th December 2011 - 9:10am

Sounds like a plan, keep us updated!