orange fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
col1600

orange fastback

Post by col1600 » 7th September 2011 - 10:17pm

hi all im new on the type 3 scene, was a bug guy around 10 years ago, but got an itch for a new project and this fastback raised his head and i thought id have a go at something different.
i made my way over to action and had a chat with a few of you chaps and learnt a good deal while i was at it.
so the plan is to take me time and enjoy the project. heres a few pics..Image
Imageastback/PICT0752.jpg[/IMG]Image

col1600

Re: orange fastback

Post by col1600 » 7th September 2011 - 10:28pm

and after standing back and taking a good look at her i decided to start the big strip
You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 7th September 2011 - 10:45pm

after striping her down it was time to start having a poke around just to see how much of a tea bag thee ol girl was.
as she stands she has had no welding done to her.......but thats all about to change i fear.. :?
You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 7th September 2011 - 11:04pm

so under the boot lid a small amount of rot is visible on the inner wing so i start cutting

more holes so i keep cutting till i reach good tin!

so out with the old and in with the new..

You Love It.!!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th September 2011 - 11:20pm

All that done since Action - that's what I call action!

All looks pretty normal, but looks good around the air vents in thre rear quarters. that's usually rotten.

Is that a South African import?

Just a comment - the black hose under the brake reservoir may not last a year if it's fuel hose. It needs to be the blue hose like the other one in your picture. No need to ask how I know!
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 8th September 2011 - 10:08am

no as far as i no the car was in the uk for most of its years then dragged over to ireland were i picked it up.
the vent area around the rear window is perfect, but "and this is the first of the dumb questions your likely to get from me"
where exactly do these vents vent to.. are they for the rear window?? also the vents in the rear wings, do these somehow vent to the engine bay, cos as far as i can see all the rear wing vents do is rot out the rear bumper support panels, i noticed the small cat flap on the bottom of the bumper bracket panel, does the water get trapped in from the vents from the rear wings or is the damage done with road water entering into the flap...

anyway heres what i was up to in the last few days.
ImageImage
ImageImage
You Love It.!!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th September 2011 - 1:02pm

Ireland makes sense with that registration. SA has something similar.

The roof vents allow airflow through the cabin which helps keep the rear window clear. unfortunately, the sealing in the box behind the outside vents is poor and water leaks into the foam filling causing major rust problems on the corner, all the way down to the wings. I don't know how best to try to hold that off. At thre very least get a good coating of Waxoyl into the area and hope it fills the holes other than the drain tube.

The air intakes on the rear wings are vital to keep the engine cooled! All the crusty bits of seam filler on the inner rear wings needs removing - this is a major route for water to get into the inside and rust through. It even gets into the heater channels and rots out the heater pipes, inner sill and herter valve and outlet in the front footwells.

The flap valve on the bottom of the inner wing lets water out but keeps road dirt and wet out. Some of it rests on the inner wing flange and rusts that out.

These are a good set of photos to show what many of our Type 3s look like when you get to investigating them!
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 10th September 2011 - 11:09am

ok got the rest of the drivers side inner arch finished off and front valance...

and even a little etch primer
You Love It.!!!

rustydubs

Post by rustydubs » 10th September 2011 - 4:22pm

good work. keep it going.

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 10th September 2011 - 9:21pm

Looks great so far , and you are flying through the work, nice one.

mr-furry

Post by mr-furry » 10th September 2011 - 9:38pm

nice work dude, making great progress! what are the further plans?

col1600

Post by col1600 » 11th September 2011 - 3:44pm

plans are to just keep on plugging away..going to get to the air box next need to drop out box from cab side, dont want to melt any plastics.and try and sort out the front of the car first and then work back..
i started to cut out the rear bumper supports, they are seriously rotted away, but i couldnt get into the right place to cut out so im going to have to drop out the engine (it was only a matter of time anyway). question, is there a replacement panel for the air box or am i going fabricating..the panel curves in too directions i know its possible just means a lot of work with the club hammer and grinder!!
You Love It.!!!

rob.teuke

Post by rob.teuke » 11th September 2011 - 4:08pm

no is the answer to that question, i had to make my own aswell! but the whole airbox mounting tray was rotten on mine too! just got mine on the road this week, so the de bugging will commence!

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 11th September 2011 - 4:25pm

Do a search on here & you'll find solutions to the problem of the airbox.
Delay cutting out the bumper mounts til youve decided how to proceed...repair panels for rear bump mounts are around,but not in plentiful supply

col1600

Post by col1600 » 11th September 2011 - 6:40pm

nice one rob.teuke have you got any pics of your airbox repair and your finished car.
good luck with her.
You Love It.!!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 12th September 2011 - 12:47am

I had to remake the lip around the airbox itself on my Fastback, but the tray only had a couple of pinpoint holes. If the mountings are still sound, you can remove the plastic airbox, but it's an awkward repair from underneath. If the top is badly rusted, you may as well cut it off and fabricate one - I made mine in two pieces so the ends fitted better - not too hard, but too a time to get nice.
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 12th September 2011 - 6:03pm

the tray itself seems fine as you say mine has two pin holes in it aswell. am i right in saying that the tray has only one channelled drain off point.
my idea is to drop out the airbox from inside repair the outer skin and reseal skin to tray from inside, possible? oh and before i weld the new metal ill treat the tray to a rust remedy and try and paint the tray
You Love It.!!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 12th September 2011 - 9:37pm

Yes, there is only one drain from the tray, and that is on the offside - not ideal for the camber for the UK, which is partly why they have trouble, as water stays in them while parked, more often than not.
You're working upside down through an 8" x 4" opening, unless you remove the spot welds for the tray. I've heard of some doing it that way, but I doubt you will be able to get enough access to weld through the opening itself with the tray in place.

The dents all round the front under the bonnet are the spot welds to the tray, but it is also spot welded elsewhere (to the dash frame?).
Dave.

Dave G

Post by Dave G » 13th September 2011 - 11:40am

Great work to date!

Just spent the last few days getting my airbox area sorted out for the MOT retest as the rot was next to the steering column support on the drivers side (glad to say it passed this morning!)

Quite a painful job to sort out, but I ended up cutting off the 'top' of the bulge and cutting the front along the join line with the tray. I then made sections up to replace the bulkhead vertical wall to the tray and seam welded it. I intend to remove the vents (lovely as they are I know) and get an alternative supply of air into the box to stop me having to do this repair again in the future!

Keep it up!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 13th September 2011 - 8:08pm

ok got the air box area repaired it will need a skim of filler to straighten up everything
im not to impressed with the design of the whole airbox set-up.i can for see problems later on so i am thinking of welding up the outside vents and placing a vent on the airbox top hump inside the boot area.

You Love It.!!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th September 2011 - 10:46pm

That looks a decent job. i've not seen one rust that far down. they usually seem to stop at the tray level.
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 19th September 2011 - 7:26pm

ok a small update. ""WARNING THE FOLLOWING IMAGES MAY OFFEND CERTAIN PEOPLE!!!!""

ImageImage

dont say i didnt warn you......

ok i just wasnt happy with the idea of doing so much work to the car and having wet carpets, rotten floors and another airbox re-build in a year or so especially with a full respray on top of it all so i took the bold step to cut out the vents and weld them up (well one is welded and then me co2 ran out but thats another story :\ )
anyway got boot area welds blended out so no weld are on show (i know that there will be a boot liner installed) got boot etched and then high primed..
You Love It.!!!

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 19th September 2011 - 11:45pm

So is the fresh air intake redundant now then, or have you got something else in mind.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 20th September 2011 - 9:59am

im playing with an idea at the mo kaddy. i tell you when i bump into you. its no secret just want to make sure it will work before i say anything, dont want to look a plonker rodney
You Love It.!!!

cbst3

Post by cbst3 » 20th September 2011 - 10:37am

Nice job on the airbox, as Dave said that is an unusual rust pattern, especially as the tray inside does not appear to have rusted through.

My Fastback, having been dry-stored for 30 years is in fantastic solid condition throughout, apart from the airbox. Just after I got it, I realised that it leaked and when I poked around, I found the tray was holed all along the front. I patched it up, but have now had to cut the top off as it has gone through there. I still haven't finished it off properly as I haven't had time and don't have the facilities to weld it up. As everything else on the car is so nice and the paint is all original around the airbox, I am reluctant to weld it, although that might be the best solution for the tray. I am going to make a removable plate over the top so I can clean it out regularly, and for now will probably bolt in a repair panel for the tray.

Deleting the air intakes is quite common I think, especially as this is a weak spot.

I have a thread on my car here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3466

Colin