orange fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
col1600

Re: orange fastback

Post by col1600 » 4th October 2012 - 6:02pm

cheers dave

ive got a bit of a creek in me neck looking at it . but that does look a fairly sensible height.
i like them clear indicators mate.

cheers..
You Love It.!!!

Dave G

Post by Dave G » 5th October 2012 - 8:23am

:) Sorry about that. It was never intended to be a useful picture, but it's the best I've got to show the ride height.

I too like the clear indicators, but they're a bugger to get hold of now! May have to resort back to orange again soon. :(

Johnjlong

Post by Johnjlong » 15th February 2013 - 7:15pm

Hi Colin ,I was looking at your restoration what a fantastic job you did on her , yourself and marko have
Raised the bar very high for the rest of us .Im also in the early stages of a restoration on my 73 fi
Fast back which is going great I can't take all the credit for the body work repairs my good friend ted
Is a top class panel beater he cuts out rust completely welds in new steel patches sands them down
Then a lead coating and lastly etch primer he absolutely loves his job. I'm from cork myself another
Friend of mine has a very good notch Paul and I meet regulary for a chat about our vw's.
Regards john.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 17th February 2013 - 7:39pm

hi john glad you like the build so far. i bought it off a guy who was also from cork...wasnt really looking for a fasty im usually a bug chap but saw it advertised on done deal and went for it, something different i guess. i was in the dark when it came to what to look for on a fasty, she didnt look to bad untill i started to have a poke about. im not the fastest at getting a project done, much like many people i suppose, i get a bunch of stuff done then i leave it for a while.
ill have a few more pics soon.......
You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 21st February 2013 - 5:11pm

chaps will the standard type 3 wheels take the higher domed hubcaps can they be made to fit ??
if not wheres the best place to find original ones?

just like the look of the domed ones, more older looking or something. im going with that hotrod look for now (cant afford alloys at the mo)
with red wheels white wall tyres higher profile at the rear and lower up front.

cheers colin..
You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 24th February 2013 - 10:20pm

heres a few pics of me wheels all sorted out. blasted, primed and 2pk red. i installed the porta walls on 165's and 145's but i still need to know about the hubcaps........what fits these wheels???? standard,domed?? and were from.. spotted some baby moons on ebay just waiting for a reply from the seller. it states theyll fit beetle 4 stud but not sure if there compatible..

You Love It.!!!

Editor

Post by Editor » 25th February 2013 - 2:25am

Just normal 4-bolt flat hubcaps originally (used on 4-stud Beetles too). It's hard to tell Beetle and Type 3/4 4-stud wheels apart - the Beetle has a smaller offset, so doesn't look as deep.
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 25th February 2013 - 9:33am

cheers dave

just wasnt sure on the beetles being the same. ive tracked a set of baby moons on ebay now without logo. im hoping they'll look the part on the wheels. might also throw some beauty rings on just to break up the bold red. im doing the sums in me head and if i add up primer/paint/whitewalls/hubcaps,and beauty rings im sure im not far off of the price of a set of alloys.

colin..
You Love It.!!!

Dave G

Post by Dave G » 25th February 2013 - 9:42am

Looking good so far, they can only get better!

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th February 2013 - 12:34am

I'm guess the 145s are on the front - you'll get funny readings on the speedo and mileometer (well, over-reading). i thought for a moment you had come up with a space-saver tyre!
Dave.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 5th March 2013 - 9:13pm

can anyone tell me if this fasty is in a dub colour..
if so anyone got colour code..
i havent seen it before so it probably isnt but im loving it anyway.. thinking along these lines for mine..

notice the big /small tyre set up on this aswell. i think it looks the dogs..

You Love It.!!!

FastySlow

Post by FastySlow » 6th March 2013 - 8:06pm

Could be Lotus White...?

If you're going to lower your fasty then you'll need 145's on the front, mine rubbed with 165's on lock. New tyres noticebly improved the steering on mine, but that could be down to the old fashioned tread pattern on my 165 Firestones! You have the choice of 145/80 or 145/65 Smart car tyres, I chose 145/80 since I'm not that low. The car in the pic will be on smarties you can stretch them on a 5.5" rim.

col1600

Post by col1600 » 6th March 2013 - 8:39pm

yep got the 145's on the rims already they look tiny. ive got a fatter tyre on my motorbike.

i know full well that its going to knock the speedo out and it will clock up the wrong mileage but to be truthful i dont care.
im in it for the looks, ill run with my satnav speedo for a while and make note of the satnav to car speedo reading relationship.

ill checkout lotus white and see if it comes near, its a start anyway thanks...
You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 12th March 2013 - 2:14pm

ok heres another one for ya.

im thinking this maybe sea sand in colour (middle pic) anyone think so or am i wrong?

i got to tell ya choosing a colour for the fasty is doing my head in (and the mrs wont even talk to me anymore about colours)
has anyone got any decent pics of fastys in different/unusual colours to get the creative juices flowing..any pics will do of your own even just so i can see what they look like, ive looked at colour chips but nearly impossible to visualize on a complete car. i THINK im heading either with cream (yukon yellow L10009)/ beige (sea sand L568) or even green (pastel green L11)

if anyones has pics of fastys in these colours i would really appreciate a look

thanks colin...
You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 17th March 2013 - 11:26pm

ok back end all blasted,2 coats of vactan, primed and painted. i ended up buying a 20 gallon sand blaster and its done the world of work for me what a little gem of a tool (but a messy one at that).

You Love It.!!!

col1600

Post by col1600 » 17th March 2013 - 11:45pm

havent got the rear brakes fully assembled yet nor the rear shocks on but had to stick wheels on and turn her back into a roller again..

You Love It.!!!

Marko

Post by Marko » 18th March 2013 - 5:36am

awesome work! coming along nicely :)

Mark.
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

col1600

Post by col1600 » 18th March 2013 - 9:59am

thanks mate..you got yours on the road yet or ya still waiting for the good weather?

got all the engine bay, front wing sand blasted and also into the rear of the car, rust treated and primed up..
i also got playing with some colours aswell. beryl green and sea sand so far. gotta say that the beryl green looks better in the tin than it does on the car, not saying its not a nice colour cos it looks mega on a bug. sea sand looks quite nice not sure if the red wheels go tho. the original blue that was on the wing i bought looks pretty good also..

ignore the pink wheel i dont no what sort of a camera is on my phone but it makes all red pinkish.

You Love It.!!!

Marko

Post by Marko » 18th March 2013 - 5:02pm

will be on road soon, got insurance just need an MOT! just tweaking the carbs and stuff to get it running spot on 1st, I think I found the root of my troubles with a bad condenser..

as for the colour of your car, only you can decide really, I like Beryl green but you can't go too far wrong with beige colours either!
Mark.
my 1968 Fastback Automatic build thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6896

FastySlow

Post by FastySlow » 20th March 2013 - 8:19pm

Choosing a colour is difficult, it's so subjective, I like the early subtle VW colours like chinchilla grey or savannah beige :-)

Boardpaul

Post by Boardpaul » 21st March 2013 - 1:08pm

Can you not get someone to photoshop your car in different colours? Gives you the best idea I think.

tudor rose

Post by tudor rose » 21st March 2013 - 3:57pm

Savannah beige for me

Chino

Post by Chino » 2nd September 2014 - 3:28pm

Just sat and had a good read through this after our chat at Action, great work Colin! Think you owe us an update at some point soon ;)

col1600

Post by col1600 » 3rd February 2015 - 12:10am

HI there chaps.
will someone PLEASE tell me were that time has gone!!!!
Ok so the fasty project has been shelved for some time
i have done a shed load of bits on her but havent updated for some time.
Other things have just taken over. The house took priority with a complete upstairs build.(have to keep the little lady happy)

So anyway eventually after many test colours i chose a colour and went with it. its L568 sea sand. its a 60's colour and not original to my year but i think by the time i piece it back together it will look fine. in fact the colour gives an impression of an older car, even though she is a latey.

The front of the bonnet was rotten so i cut it off and welded in new metal

primed up...
I blended in the welds after.

hours and hours of high build primer guide coats sanding back finding lows and re primering the bonnet turned out very straight.

Ok i should have started this earlier
didnt realise its gone midnight.
so ill throw up some more pictures tomorrow evening.
Last edited by col1600 on 8th February 2015 - 3:26pm, edited 3 times in total.
You Love It.!!!

Chino

Post by Chino » 3rd February 2015 - 8:24am

Nice work Col, good to see you back on it :)