rusty red notch

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
kg88

rusty red notch

Post by kg88 » 18th February 2013 - 1:14pm

New on here so thought I would post up my new purchase.

she won't be moving far as I share a unit with her current owner.

n this was my last t3

Kris
rusty red crotch... er notch.

col1600

Re: rusty red notch

Post by col1600 » 18th February 2013 - 4:11pm

ratty and tatty you gotta love it!!

hard to see from pics but has the red notch got a narrowed front beam ???
You Love It.!!!

kg88

Post by kg88 » 18th February 2013 - 4:54pm

no, no narrowed beam, might just be one and a beetle frame head sat in the unit, along with some original Fuchs all round disc brakes and a cog box ah code box with some nice internal goodies but as it's going to be a daily it's a long time coming.

kris

kg88

Post by kg88 » 25th February 2013 - 8:34am

ok so a few minor teething problems, the brakes were, appalling and my mate who followed me home commented on the off side rear wheel heavily shaking on acceleration. so Sunday's jobs were rear wheel bearing and bleed the brakes, the brakes are some what better but. whike doing the rear wheel bearing I noticed an awful lot of play in the shaft, is this normal? I expected some but it seemed quite excessive moving around 4-5"

also she keeps jumping out of fourth under acceleration, is this likely to be warn gear box mounts?

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th February 2013 - 12:40am

The drive shafts move in and out of the CV joints, as they have to be longer or shorter depending on the spring plate position.

The jumping out of gear might be that it needs some minor adjustment of the gear-shift lever, but I suspect it's more likely something worn in the box. My brother's beetle jumped out in one of the gears, and you ended up driving helding it in - not ideal, and it wears the selector rings I believe.
Dave.

kg88

Post by kg88 » 27th February 2013 - 11:04am

it's swing axle so no cv joints, I suspect that it is the gear box causing it to jump out of gear, it doesn't fully jump out of gear, ie. starts grinding, but a small amount of pressure in the stick goes straight back into gear.

I've got a full IRS set up from my bug but looking at my swing axle on the notch it looks some what different to a bug swing axle set up, do I treat converting the back end to IRS just like a bug? or is the set up different?

I was also once told you could convert an IRS box to swing axle does any one know if this is true? as this us a daily wip I need minimum down time.

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th February 2013 - 10:05pm

Could be front gearbox mount - check for the rubber bonding and fastening bolt tightness.

I've not heard of a CV gearbox changed to swing axle. I think some late gearboxes only have one side-plate. I doubt there's much advantage unless the swing-axle handling is dire.

If you wanted to change to CV, I would suggest using the CV subframe and engine mounts with support bar arrangement . The swing axle hangs the engine off the rear gearbox support frame, but with the CVs the engine support bar mounts and front gearbox mount hold the whole engine+transmission.

It's quite a bit of work!
Dave.

kg88

Post by kg88 » 27th February 2013 - 11:03pm

I've already got a 1303s box with loads of internal goodies.. had a quick scout on the web and it appears twin side plate swing axle and IRS boxes can be interchangeable. the only thing that wasn't clear was wether you need to change the nose cone on the box or not to fit a t3?

Im happy with the the swing axle ride, but living with it jumping out of gear as it does is becoming unbearable!

I'm on a shoe string budget but I've got a mass of bug bits so I'm going to utilise what I can and sell the rest.
so hopefully free some funds up to help get her sorted while using her where possible

cheers for the replys hope fully get some decent pics and work out whats useable at the weekend, I bought everything new for my bug, but honestly can't be bothered to finish building it up. I made the mistake of buying the notch and like dam to much!

kg88

Post by kg88 » 2nd March 2013 - 5:40pm

ended up working today so all I've managed to do is give her a rinse off, hopefully get a bit of work done on her tomorrow.

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 3rd March 2013 - 4:55pm

:cool: :)
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

kg88

Post by kg88 » 3rd March 2013 - 5:31pm

new discs, calipers, pads, bearings and rubber hoses fitted up front today.

I poked at a small hole in the floor pan today.... yeah well its now a finger sized hole so gonna have to get the welder out promptly.

oh and the visors now off!!

rustydubs

Post by rustydubs » 4th March 2013 - 8:48pm

nice

kg88

Post by kg88 » 9th March 2013 - 8:50pm

well im gonna start with holy shit! what a bad day set off first thing this morning as my bearings had come loose as I hadn't realised 66's have one year only bearings... doh! I thought Sod it set off to my mates to go do them, driving down a country lane, reached for fourth and a really loud grinding noise and no gear, back for third.... nothing, second nothing, first... yep you guessed it.

once towed to my mates we put it on the ramp drained the box and half the internals came out with it in little chunks.

flew over to Darwen grabbing a full bug swing axle, the empi disc brake conversion and some bug pack shocks I had as the fronts were some what leaky and well truely knackered.

once back we went to pull the motor and it just wouldn't come away from the box, eventually pried away it became very clear it was a late t3 engine, with a 6v flywheel. to hide the fact that these two do not seal some kind moron had siliconed the engine to the box, so I'm now ineed of a 200mm 12v fly and clutch. luckily I have a brand new 12v starter.

looks like I'm going to be off the road for a while sorting similar bodges but while it's in the air it seems a good excuse to sort out some pigeon welding and the odd soft spot on the pan.

http://mob2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/m ... 1362859863
aghhhh!
that is all
kris

kg88

Post by kg88 » 26th March 2013 - 1:29pm

ok so we're rolling again finally!

changed the o/s lower front ball joint,
done the tracking,
changed the front shocks for some koni red shocks I had,
fitted the empi rear disc brake conversion, these were an absolute balls up with poor quality parts and the brake lines were completely wrong so Saab ones from far had to be acquired and rethreaded
fuch wheels are on but I am going to need some bigger tyres, 195/65/15 or similar
fitted the right one year only wheel bearings,
a beetle floor pan section has been welded in to repair this holes in the floor,
the hand brake tubes have been lengthened for the hand brake cables to take a nice smooth route,

new 200mm clutch, 12v flywheel, 12v starter and fly wheel oil seal fitted.

new fuel lines fitted from front to back and a couple of in line filters fitted(one of the fuel pipes had been rubbing on the air box so I was very lucky not to of gone up in flames).

the pedals were all over the shot so this was stripped, the clutch return spring replaced as it had snapped and the pedals set to the correct up right position.
still need to fit a dual master cylinder at some point so the brakes will be even better and of course safer!
the engines had a basic strip and check, a full service and the timing reset, the engine is defiantly this cars most redeeming feature.

so much for a quick service and enjoy the summer eh!

paint job and a retire next I'm thinking :)

kris

Thefiend62

Post by Thefiend62 » 22nd April 2013 - 12:49pm

I must say squarey spice looks sweet on a set of cosmics

vwfye

Post by vwfye » 1st November 2013 - 4:39pm

Any more progress on the notch?
64 No'back Speedster
Little Giant Killer III