FASTBACK UPDATE HOW DO I DEAL WITH RUST?

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
peasie

FASTBACK UPDATE HOW DO I DEAL WITH RUST?

Post by peasie » 25th October 2006 - 4:55pm

HI EVERYONE STILL BUSY STRIPPING MY 71 FASTBACK ALL WINGS OFF SEATS OUT CARPET OUT DASH OUT,LOTS OF SURFACE RUST ON FLOORPLAN SURFACE RUST ONLY THERE ARE A COUPLE OF HOLES NEXT TO BATTERY WHICH ARE GOING TO GET WELDED BUT I WAS WANTING TO KNOW THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH THE SURFACE RUST I BOUGHT SOME OF THAT RUST CONVERTOR FROM THE CAR SHOP I WAS JUST GOING TO PAINT THAT ON LET IT DRY FOR 24 HOURS THEN TWO COATS OF HAMMERITE DIRECT TO RUST PAINT WILL THIS STOP IT GETTING ANY WORSE OR SHALL I GRIND ALL SURFACE RUST OFF THEN HAMMERITE IT.THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE,STEVE
the peaster

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 26th October 2006 - 8:54am

Hi Steve,

I guess you'll get as many different opinions as you do replies, but personally I beleive there's only one way to deal with rust, and that's to cut it out.
I've never found the rust converters a perminant answer, and Hammerite seems only to be any good at hiding rust - it will carry on unabaited underneath.
I would grind what you can away using a sheet metal "scurfing" disc or one of the flap wheels made for an angle grinder.
It's not easy to get into all the detail of the pressings on the floor, so you may need use a rotary flap wheel in a drill for those bits.

Then I use a zinc based primer like Zinc 182 available from car shops to librally paint the pan both sides. I follow that with a few coats of chassis black or smooth hammerite.
If it's an everyday car then I like "Finnegans Underbody Seal" for the underside, but any coating that stays soft is good as it won't not chip off.

Next...

Mike

peasie

Post by peasie » 26th October 2006 - 5:51pm

:) cheers mate i bought one of them wire brushs from machine mart 65mm for my grinder and its taking it back to bare metal,so i am going to contine with that and then coat with zinc 182 then hammerite cheers
the peaster

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 26th October 2006 - 7:31pm

Just make sure you have good eye protection.
Those brushes are good but the wire bits wire bristles fly off in all directions.
What could happen doesn't bare thinking about :shock: ...

Mike.