My Engine build

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
Harley2012

My Engine build

Post by Harley2012 » 15th October 2013 - 9:52pm

Thought I'd start my own engine build thread rather than hijack the one Haz did. Be good to compare as we're roughly at the same stage.

So the story so far... I bought my 71 Southern California Squareback in August this year. The engine was already out for the Fuel injection to be removed. It came with stock Solex carbs. On inspection of the engine it needed a new cam seal and I knew nothing about it so I decided to strip it and rebuild as a 1776 for reliability and a daily drive.

Parts and decisions so far...

Mahle 90.5mm Pistons and Barrels
Engle W110 cam, lifters, gear and springs
1.25:1 rockers
Lightened original flywheel (16lb)
Stock heads with Stainless exhaust valves
Stock 69mm crank
S&S merged stainless header (rare find this one)

Still to sort...
Single quiet pack exhaust (not sure which or where from)
Pushrods
Port and polish the heads
Weber 40 IDF carbs (need to sell stuff to justify these)
Thought about full flowing the case, but decided not to go for it. I'll be regularly servicing the engine anyway and it shouldn't be running much hotter than stock.

The engine is split and hopefully should be machined in the next few weeks. I've got a stock crank and an oversize case (0.5mm) as it was slightly worn.

Will keep you updated.
Last edited by Harley2012 on 25th November 2013 - 9:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Editor

Re: My Engine build

Post by Editor » 16th October 2013 - 2:25am

Daily driver? Comments from others is not to go for a lightened flywheel.
Dave.

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 16th October 2013 - 5:19pm

Yeh I think that's true for aftermarket flywheels that sold at 13.22lbs or 6kgs. I agree that's too light for a type 3. That's I'm only taking 2lb off my original to take it to 16lbs from the original 18lbs. Similar to the one VW Heritage sell, but without the extra 4 dowel holes. Done loads of research and you get a mixed bag of answers really. Not machined it yet so may still change my mind.

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 10th November 2013 - 5:54pm

So I decided to stick with my original casing. This is it being bored out to 96mm to accommodate 90.5mm barrels.
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/c ... WA0000.mp4
Not sure if this link will work...

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 19th November 2013 - 9:45pm

Heads got machined today...

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th November 2013 - 11:15pm

Nice action shots, just a big bore, no stroking? that will move your power top end. A little less user friend and ill say stick wit ha stock fly wheel at that otherwise you will need a high idle speed or have a very slow but lumpy idle.

Don't waste your money on the rockers unless your going for 100% race car. The gain is so negligible its really for people who are look for ever single horse power and 40's will be a bit over kill 36's will be plenty for this.

Are they brand new mahles? In the past couple of years production hasn't been great as they've come from china. I cant comment on this year mind.

just my 2p

good call on stainless valves. VWH do the single quiet pack for these
The sultan of swing

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 1st December 2013 - 8:29pm

Thanks for the reply. Defo going to stick with a stock flywheel after reading so much about them and listening to peoples comments. Also think the rockers will be worth doing with the polish and porting, it all helps. VWH recommended twin 40's and I've read-up loads about them. They seem to be the best option, plus I've always wanted 40's :D
Made my own bolt up rockers...
Fitted the original washers and wavy washer for now, but will shim them out properly before the rebuild.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 1st December 2013 - 10:32pm

Pleased you've stuck with the more meaty fly wheel If youve already got the rockers then go for it. Your bolt ups look well are they brand new rockers youve modded or old ones cleaned up?

Dell 40s will be fine just jetted down a little but 36's well set up would be adequate. Are you going brand new or some 2nd hand ones? Id certainly go for dell over webers. There was a chap braking old alfas doing them around £300 a pair, not sure if hes still going.
The sultan of swing

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 2nd December 2013 - 8:31am

These are 1.25:1 rockers on the original shafts just modified. Made up an ally floating centre and turned the ends down, drilled and tapped both ends and fitted M6 bolts and penny washers.
I bought second hand Dell's from VZI...
Eurocarb have recommended...
30 Venturis
125 Main Jets
58 Idles Jets
180 Air correctors
35 Pumps Jets
9164.2 Emulsion Tubes

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 3rd December 2013 - 8:39pm

Excellent, I like the rockers, wouldnt mind having a go at making some myself. The second hand dells are a good idea. New webers are utterly crap, bad brass, bad castings ect. So those dells with suit you well. What linkage are you going to use? I really want a JKN
The sultan of swing

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 3rd December 2013 - 11:15pm

I'm surprised Webers are getting a bad name :? But I have heard that elsewhere too. I've got CB performance linkage kit, looks very well made and strong.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 15th December 2013 - 4:22pm

Looks like a sound set up! Ive still got my hex bar but im not sure how much longer ill keep it. I may go for the JKN bell crank when I can next afford it. I should really get the engine run in, Ive been building it for 4 years haha
The sultan of swing

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 16th December 2013 - 8:34pm

Carbs have new idles and venturi's, still need emulsion tubes and main jets. All mocked up before breaking back down to fit the internals... Crank, cam, gaskets, etc

haz

Post by haz » 18th December 2013 - 10:55pm

Good work Harley,

you might have started at the same stage as me but your certainly racing ahead, Im not getting the time I need to put into this really, with Christmas & a bub on the way in Feb its been a bit hectic round here!

So are you having the case machined or just switching the bearings out?, have a read of my latest posts about pulling the oil plugs, might be of interest to you, I seriously wouldn't risk leaving them if you are doing any machining.

Also are you doing a full flow?, Im getting a local vw garage to clearance my fan shroud (as per the picks) to achieve this on mine.

Will be good to have another thread to study, the more info the better.

Harley2012

Post by Harley2012 » 1st January 2015 - 8:44pm

So after very nearly a year the engine is built back up ready for fitting.
Have had a baby girl taking up most of my time, but when Ive had a few spare minutes I've been getting bits sorted for the Squareback.
Had to have a line bore done in the end as it looked like the main bearing had been opened up and was out of line. Thanks to James at Stateside Tuning for sorting that.
Really pleased with the way it went back together. Like I said, this is my first aircooled and I was amazed how all the tinwear fits so well and works. Realised that the engine wasn't fitted with a thermostat when I bought it, so got all the bits and got the flaps working again. Want to make sure everything that is supposed to be working does.
Managed to get all the jets and emulsion tubes for the carbs. Going to fit the clutch this weekend, then just got to get the body back from have a few spots welded up.
Heres the before and after pic.