nearly there with my square

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
aircoolsteve

nearly there with my square

Post by aircoolsteve » 13th March 2010 - 7:16pm

well i've been on here for so long now its about time somebody saw what all the fuss is about!
its a 67. original colour was seasand beige i think, then someone painted it in some leary green colour and removed all the chrome. i'll post a few more pics of what i did to get it where it is now as soon as i've found and uploaded the pics.
its not a show winning car but its been an interesting project and made a nice change from working on busses all the time!

cheers. steve

kyle

Post by kyle » 14th March 2010 - 1:41am

it looks nice 8) the marathons look good on it too! r they t3 or bug ones?
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

type3willy

Post by type3willy » 14th March 2010 - 10:25am

Nice car man. And it comes with tow bar. I consider it´s a very important accesory. Marathon wheels look great by now, but the center of them is not very atractive for me.
Where is the engine?

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 14th March 2010 - 10:41am

very 8) .......will look forward to seein it at some shows :D

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 14th March 2010 - 8:26pm

cheers all. the tow bar is a westy one. i really wanted a bar to tow a small box trailer but when i got under the back and saw not a lot there, the work then began! and when the rear wings came off i could see right the way through the car. the view of the road was novel as well!
we put the rest of the glass in on saturday. somon kelley provided the seals for the rear side glass. he's the only one who had any. then i fell over a NOS heated rear screen and now its weather resistant i thought i'd post a pic or two.
here's a couple more of what i found.

talk about panic. and i paid £300 for it! it came with a couple of decent rear wings and bonnet but the interior was completely shot due to the terreble water ingress. inner front wings were supprisingly intact.
previous owner had welded-over the screen vents and that took a while to sort out. got the airboxes from the states rust free but getting those metal plates off and grinding all the welds off was awful hard.
the marathons had the customary layer of rust when i got them but they turned out ok in the end. had some empi 8s but they need skinny tyres on them to get them to fit due to the unsuitable offset. i think the marathons i have are ET34. not sure if that is bug or type3 but the 175. 75. fits ok, even in the spare wheel well. keeps the speedo and the MPG in good order!
more later. steve

foxy

Post by foxy » 15th March 2010 - 9:30am

The marathon wheels are bug ones with ET34.
If you don't mind me askin, whats the plate number?
My bro used to own a 67 RHD seasand square which disapeared years ago.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 18th March 2010 - 10:37pm

hi foxy. the last four digits are 922E i think by memory.
here's a few more pics of what was done. there was nothing below the bottom of the side airboxes. the bit you see below the box was cut off another car that was used as a donor vehicle.

the other side was just as bad. had to make the drain flaps but was fortunate to find rear bumper mounts so didn't have to make them.

i replaced the entire rear wheelarch on the near side but like a dope, i didn't take any pics. the other side was a patching up job.

plus the usual stuff inside.

steve

bucket

Post by bucket » 19th March 2010 - 1:57am

would like to see more photos of the rear air box repair as mine is missing as well think i have one flap but darnt touch it as will disintergrate.
:lol:
Maufactured by Volkswagen
Remanufactured by me.....

unclemoom

Re: nearly there with my square

Post by unclemoom » 17th April 2010 - 9:25am

Cool!!!
Die Schwarzen Schafe........

Danny Lord

Post by Danny Lord » 14th June 2010 - 6:39pm

Hi Steve, I see you driving the Square this morning at the big round about a top of Blue Bell Hill, my eyes nearly popped out my head! :lol: looks :cool: :)
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 14th June 2010 - 9:49pm

cheers danny. driving it every day now to iron out all the small faults you get after a re-build.
i went one junction accross the medway bridge. been driving it every day for a couple of weeks now and today one of the plug leads jumpped off and i left the motorway on three cylinders!

been trying to cure a water ingress since i first got it home from the unit. its comming in above the wiper motor somewhere. its either the screen seal or the sceen wash jet where it pushes into the body. put some seal on the washer jet first so the next downpour should tell me if its cured. got to get the wiper motor out anyway as the park needs to be ajusted. probably put the crank on in the wrong position. not got the carpets in yet till i fix the water thing.

i have a peice of loose tin somewhere and its driving me mad with the noise it makes. changed the front toxic shocks for something a bit softer but i think i'm going to need some ajustables to get it how i like it. also removed the gearbox intermediate mount that i fitted as it transmits too much extra engine noise into the car. if i can get it a bit more peacefull inside i might even fit a raidio! need some of those footwell speaker pods if i can find some at a sensible price.

i have inertia belts in the front that fit and work very well however, when i flop the rear seat down the hinge forward bit interfers with the top of the reels so i'll have to make up a different bracket to get them out of the way.
not bad really, only small things so far!
steve

mr fish

Post by mr fish » 6th July 2010 - 3:51pm

Hi Steve

They all seem to leak a bit around the screen, on mine i think the water gets behind the seal at the top of the screen then runs down behind seal at the sides then gets over the top of the seam in the apature at the bottom.

I try keep it in the garage as much as possible and normally use a cover if i'm leaving it outside for any length of time so it really only gets wet if it rains at a show.

My rubbers are in quite good shape but if i squeeze them around the bottom corners after its rained water squeeezes out. Maybe the screens are just not a very good fit.

car looks great by the way, it was good to see you in it at the ship and trades last month.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 6th July 2010 - 7:41pm

hi rob. yes, a good meet that one. can't remember what day its on! always passes me by.
going to peppercorn this weekend but only on the sunday. got things to do on saturday.
steve

mr fish

Post by mr fish » 6th July 2010 - 9:52pm

meet was the thursday just gone, was quite a few there and it was warm enough to stay outside all night. The car park was busy so we did all manage to park together.

I'm doing peppercorn for the weekend, so should see you on sunday.

Big Mark

Post by Big Mark » 8th July 2010 - 7:33am

WOW, love that colour sooo much