62 notch!

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
teatotaltom

62 notch!

Post by teatotaltom » 2nd May 2010 - 7:34pm

hello!

this is my new 62 notch, it needs a bit of work but it should be on the road soonish! :)

cheers Tom!
The Slammed Reich
http://www.slamwerks.co.uk

Danny Lord

Re: 62 notch!

Post by Danny Lord » 2nd May 2010 - 9:25pm

OUCH! is that Simon Kelleys old Notch?
Got a Notch? www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/

teatotaltom

Post by teatotaltom » 2nd May 2010 - 9:29pm

Danny Lord wrote:OUCH! is that Simon Kelleys old Notch?
yeah it is! got it the other day gonna be a big learning curve as its my first type 3!!
The Slammed Reich

ed74

Post by ed74 » 2nd May 2010 - 9:40pm

just a weekends work and back on the road :lol:

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 2nd May 2010 - 9:47pm

bloody hell :shock: .....would not of been in that when that happened :shock: ......think it would be more than a weekends work :ninja:

well done on saving it!! all old dubs should be saved if at all possible! 8)

keep the updates coming
Paul and Kat

teatotaltom

Post by teatotaltom » 2nd May 2010 - 9:55pm

thanks!

yeah i heard it was going to be scrapped and couldnt see it happen with out even trying to get it back on the road!!
The Slammed Reich

Paul Hayward

Post by Paul Hayward » 2nd May 2010 - 10:03pm

teatotaltom wrote:thanks!

yeah i heard it was going to be scrapped and couldnt see it happen with out even trying to get it back on the road!!

good on you 8) .........You will love it.......we have a notch and its been bloody fantastic!...little small with all the camping hear and dogs at times but could never sell her ,.........Well done for saving the notch! cant wait to see the updates when you get cracking 8)
Paul and Kat

kyle

Post by kyle » 15th May 2010 - 1:33am

:crybaby: sorry to say this but it looks like its bin in a pile up in a cross junction n it was the centre car! :( i've had my 1st t3 for 4 yrs n its still not finished! :lol: i dont wanna put u off but u will probly b better off findin a new half decent shell as its hard enough to find bits as it is plus u'd probly get the glass n mabe some interior etc... and change it to a rhd! (dont like lhd, me. :puke: ) hassis cant b bad cus its bin in storage ennit? its not easy dave will tell ya how many were made so parts r like oval bugs n mid-late split t2s- without reproducers! the front n rear clip r hard to find so thats a big hurdle wings r easy-ish then the 62 a 1yr only ish car too so gettin it to look like a 62 will take time. push botton dash, funky manifolds, n the had the slot wheels.

i like that ur saving it from the crusher but as a 1st t3 project u r kinda shootin yaself in the foot its gonna b hard but very worth it especially if u dont put a bug beam on it like some of the other bums hav! :lol: dont get rid of it cus once its done u wont wanna do that annoying and rewarding work again! i wudnt mind it tho if i had the room!
67 fastback
65 bug
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

Franklin_Newhart

Post by Franklin_Newhart » 8th September 2011 - 12:45am

I pity the chore ahead of you. I just bought a 62 Notch myself that had been parked in a field for 19 years. It's in a lot better shape than yours and is esentially just a clean up job and new paint other than a new floor. And yet I dread how much work i even have to do. I once built a 1916 Model T truck from scratch, Started with just the frame and cleaned an restored all 7200 pieces. It's a lot of work and I hope you are a good man with a body hammer because if you aren't you are going to be. Anyway good luck with your notch.

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th September 2011 - 1:15pm

Certainly a challenge, but I guess he has had some hammer bashing experience. At least the old metal can be bashed quite successfully. Our big enemy here is rust, so at least he will have some metal to bash. Most of us have to cut away and fabricate a new piece.

I recall a guy with a Canadian Notch project that needed a new floor - met him at VW Action 30 years ago! The car can't have been more than 12 or so years old back then.
Dave.

Franklin_Newhart

Post by Franklin_Newhart » 14th September 2011 - 5:34am

Car would have been 15 to 20 years old.

Editor

Post by Editor » 14th September 2011 - 1:15pm

Not as much as 20 - may have been 15, but I remember it seemed very poor compared with most VWs I had known up to then. Probably around 1980, and I think it was something like a '65, but I'm asking a lot of my old grey cells these many years later. Mind you our '64 Variant had rotted out its sills (rockers) by 1974.
Dave.