Letter from Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen not Genuine?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
JSR-69

Re: Letter from Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen not Genuine?

Post by JSR-69 » 12th March 2014 - 3:43pm

I have also heard positively from DVLA when I asked about my Variant which is first registered September 1974 but manufactured September 1973:

As the taxation class is not already shown as Historic Vehicle on the V5C for your vehicle you must apply by post to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ. From April 1st 2014, the V5C must show a date of manufacture prior to the 01.01.1974. If this is not recorded on the V5C but the vehicle was manufactured prior to this date you will need to produce dating evidence.

Acceptable dating evidence can be obtained from:

• An extract from the manufacturer/factory record - these will have the chassis number of the vehicle against the month and year of production*
• An extract from the 'Glasses guide'- which is a comprehensive guide on production dates and includes chassis numbers
• If the vehicle has been imported and already registered, the original foreign registration certificate.

The keeper will need to write ‘Historic’ in the change to taxation class field in section 7 of the V5C and sign section 8.

Sounds very hopeful!

* I presume my Zertifakat from Stiftung AutoMuseum will be acceptable.

Judi R
Judi R
1963 Beetle (awaiting restoration)
1972 Karmann Ghia (sold)
1972 412 Variant Auto
1974 412 5-door Variant project

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 12th March 2014 - 8:17pm

Bit of nonsense really, there's nothing on my V5C for the 412 LS Variant that states a date of manufacture, yet I have a letter from the DVLA saying they accept it was built in 1973, plus when I do a check on the details held at DVLA, the date of manufacture is listed as 1973.

Plus they aren't interested in the day and month, just the year of manufacture, so the date is also a misnomer.

I'll be going into my local Post Office to sort this out for both cars, the Square needs the tax refunded, plus an Historic Vehicle tax disc issued, and the 412 just needs a tax disc issued, these will be the last one's I will be applying for, as on 1st October they do away with paper discs altogether.
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 25th April 2014 - 6:44pm

Bit of an update on my application... :crybaby:

It has been rejected because our club is not on the list of Clubs on the V765/1 document...... though the guidance and INF34 makes no reference to V765/1.

I have recently acquired a Glass's Guide Car Check Book, which is an alternative method, according to some sources. I called the DVLA to confirm that this method was acceptable and was told that it was not as it would not give the specific date of manufacture. (though that isn't actually what the legislation requires)

I'm currently trawling the internet to find something I can enclose with my re-application which supports the Glass's guide route, because the person I spoke to said that as it wasn't mentioned on INF34 it wasn't an acceptable method :evil:
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

Editor

Post by Editor » 26th April 2014 - 2:01am

Shame. VW at Milton Keynes used to supply a letter, but they used to charge £50 I think. I've written an email to John Daniels at ABVWC, as they are on the list. We'll see if he can suggest a way forward.
Dave.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 26th April 2014 - 8:27am

I managed to find a letter from DVLA to Vehicle Clubs from 2012 which specifically refers to the use of the Glass's Car Check Book for dating purposes and an email from March this year which makes the same reference with regard to a change to Historic class.

I rang the DVLA back and spoke to someone else who after giving the same negative response at first changed their position when told about the two documents. It seems the knowledge is not widely known within the DVLA itself and I was advised to call back on Monday morning when the senior staff would be back at their desks.

I have also asked what the process is to get our club on the magic list. Apparently access to the list is controlled by Rosy Pugh, Nigel Harrison and Bob Owen of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs contactable through secretary@fbhvc.co.uk

I'll let you know how I get on
David
1974 412LS Variant

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 29th April 2014 - 1:36am

Whats your VIN Number David? Send via PM if you like.

As DVLA accepted that the VIN Number of a 412 gives dating evidence based on those issued by VW before 31st December 1973, I can't see how you can not be given Historic Vehicle Status. Mine was built in early October 1973, but not UK Registered until September 1974, with the added complication that the microfiche for that period has since crumbled at the Museum in Germany, but a €20 letter from the Museum was enough to confirm the year of manufacture.

I'm so glad I undertook this process back in November, I wouldn't want to be waiting for a decision now.

BTW, I got the full two months VED refunded from the DVLA on the Squareback, as we weren't allowed to apply for Historic Vehicle until 1st April, and the woman in the Post Office said that I'd lose a month of tax, so she was wrong about that.
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 29th April 2014 - 6:01pm

I called DVLA again this morning.

Different story again, the lady I talked to was aware of the Glass's car data route and confirmed that was an acceptable dating method.

I'll write another letter and kick the process off again.........doesn't look like any bank holiday running for me now :(
David
1974 412LS Variant

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 21st May 2014 - 6:02pm

I received another letter from the DVLA today, this time it was smaller.

and in there was a new tax disk for Historic Class :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yippee

If there's anyone else on here with similar problems for their type 3 or 4, I'll happily try and help out using the Glass's guide method which is known to work :thumbsup:
David
1974 412LS Variant

waveydaveyfru

Post by waveydaveyfru » 16th January 2015 - 3:17pm

Ive been trying to get the same kind of information to verify my vehicle details as it was rergistered back into UK in 1994, its a 1974 model, I understand the Stiftung Automuseum can take up to 8 months to send documents back.

BMIHT dont have any records of VW

The original foreign registration is not avaiable to trace it back.

I asked Glass's without much help.
How did you manage to get a copy of the CHECK BOOK and would it be possible to check my vin No via your book to get an age related to Vin/Chassis No.
regards Dave
whitehoused@sky.com.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 16th January 2015 - 6:46pm

Sure, send me your vehicle details through the PM system, VIN number and what you think it is and I'll check the pages and scan them in for you.

I've just done the same for In2Rust - hoping to hear success from him in a couple of weeks time
David
1974 412LS Variant

waveydaveyfru

Post by waveydaveyfru » 19th January 2015 - 9:14am

Thanks 937carrera

The Vin No = 1542669324
A 1974 VW Beetle Convertible (Red),
Now a 1600cc new engine fitted.
reg no FKG 273M
was registered/used overseas, Declared Manufactured 1974.
Im told but DVLA wont accept that its:-
1- stands for bug,thing,KG
5- Convertible/Cabrio
4-1974 model year
2- Second decade of this numbering system-this number changed to 3 if they build more than a million in that year.
669 324 is the actual chassis number.

but DVLA as you have found out as well only accept certain methods, hence the Glass's Check Book method.

Thanks

whitehoused@sky.com.

regards Dave

waveydaveyfru

Post by waveydaveyfru » 19th January 2015 - 9:17am

937carrera

Just out of interest what is the PM system. is that private mail system/private members etc?

regards Dave

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th January 2015 - 12:02am

PM is private mail - you can see the icon for it at the bottom of each post. It means the rest of us (or anyone just reading posts) don't see details that it might be better not to broadcast, or are not relevant to the others on the forum. eg admitting it's a Beetle not a Type 3 or 4. ;-)
Dave.

waveydaveyfru

Post by waveydaveyfru » 20th January 2015 - 7:50am

OK Thanks Dave
Noted, Intend to have 2 or 3 types of VWs for future as I come to retirement.
Dave

Editor

Post by Editor » 20th January 2015 - 12:23pm

It wasn't intended to censure you for posting about a Beetle. Many of us on here have one (or more), or came to Type 3 or 4 ownership via them. We're very tolerant of other VW air-cooled, or even mention of water-cooled occasionally. There's enough aggro in the world already.

I thought I'd get on with the projects when retired, but have spent many comfortable hours typing instead of repairing and welding on the drive!
Dave.

waveydaveyfru

Post by waveydaveyfru » 20th January 2015 - 3:45pm

Thanks Dave

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 21st January 2015 - 12:26am

Dave,

I'm just awaiting the scan to arrive by email and will then forward on to you
David
1974 412LS Variant

waveydaveyfru

Post by waveydaveyfru » 29th January 2015 - 9:37am

JUST A NOTE ON VIN No's VIA GLASS'S CHECK BOOK. TODAY GLASS'S ARE TESTING TO PROVIDE A Nin No service see attached:-

On Thursday, 29 January 2015, 8:37, "consumer@glass.co.uk" <consumer@glass.co.uk> wrote:

Good Morning Dave,

Due to the amount of queries which we are having requesting an extract from the Glass's Check Book we are looking into providing this service at a cost.

As you have been one of the last enquiries that we have received, we are writing to you to find out if you still require this information free of charge whilst we are testing the service?

If you do, please can you provide the following information:

Registration
Manufacturer
Model
Chassis No - This is very important and we will not be able to find the extract without it.
Approximate Year of Manufacturer

Once we have received this information, we will try our best to locate it and we will let you know if we have any problems.

We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Kind regards,

Glass.co.uk Customer Services Team

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 29th January 2015 - 6:19pm

Well, perhaps that's knocked any idea I had for setting up a similar service for non type 3 & 4 cars :(

Dave, when you get the info, would you mind sending it over so I can compare what they send with what I sent you
David
1974 412LS Variant

waveydaveyfru

Post by waveydaveyfru » 29th January 2015 - 9:51pm

David
Yes that's no problem.
I used the copy you sent me showing the start date of Oct 1973 and explained that I had tried the other 3 options they (DVLA) suggested
1/. BIMIH at Gaydon. (They only have British car history, so that was of no use).
2/. DVLA suggested to get any copies of export/import docs / no details available.
3/. Manufactures production details (Stiftung) who I explained could take up to 8 months to reply.
4/. Your forwarded copy of Glass's check book info, that did the trick and today I have just received notification of acceptance of V5C and free tax up to Jan 2016.

so once again thank you David