Is this a Type 4 Roofrack?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
topnotch

Is this a Type 4 Roofrack?

Post by topnotch » 25th May 2014 - 4:13pm

Hi,

I have a split van which had until this morning a roofrack mounted on it - its a bit small for the van and was literally bolted right through the roof! I`ve spent the morning removing it, and welding up the holes.

I`ve been trying to work out what vehicle its meant to fit and i think it might be possibly for a type 411 (factory roofrack?) or potentially a type 3 squareback.

Having owned a nothcback and a squareback in the past, i`m not completely sure how it would mount, but there`s a couple of pics on the samba showing racks like mine on type 4s.

Cheers, Mike

Here`s a few pics. -

Its hip to be square!

Editor

Re: Is this a Type 4 Roofrack?

Post by Editor » 26th May 2014 - 7:13pm

In the USA it was quite common to bolt a roofrack through the roof of a Type 3! I don't think they thought of gutter-mounted racks. If the width of the mountings is around 90 cms or a bit more, it would fit a Type 3. If it's 100cms or more, probably not.
Dave.

topnotch

Post by topnotch » 26th May 2014 - 7:56pm

Hmm - the outer width of the mountings are 110cm, so not sure now - is 100cm the width of a 411/412 roof?

Here`s some of the images i found on the samba including the VW brochure one -

There are a few others about if you search. Not sure what to do with it really as its too good to throw and i thought i might be able to sell it to a type 4 owner, but wanted to make sure it was a type 4 rack first!
Its hip to be square!

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 26th May 2014 - 9:43pm

Does look Type 4ish
If I remember I'll measure the roof on mine when I'm up at the farm tomorrow
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

Syncronaut

Post by Syncronaut » 28th May 2014 - 11:33am

That kind of roof rack was a dealer option in the US. The type from the two pictures from Samba is the type used on both type 3 and 4 in the US, AFAIK. I cannot say that they were exactly the same, but anything else would seem strange to me... I have also seen the same type in pictures of some kind of sixties Mopar station wagon.

Looking at the pictures of your actual roof rack, the feet are different and the slates also look different to me (in comparison to the type offered by VWoA). My guess is that it originates from a US station wagon of some kind. Is it built up in the same way as the VW type 3 & 4 roof rack? The tube sections are just pushed into the feet, making it rather easy to shorten/lengthen or narrowing/widening the rack to suit different cars...

A picture of my Squareback with the VWoA roof rack:

Gorm

Paul0139

Post by Paul0139 » 2nd June 2014 - 6:17pm

Hi, I have a Squareback from the USA and would be interested in purchasing this rack, please email on paulandcath3@gmail.com or
phone me on 07768 633745 to discuss.

Thanks. Paul