'67 Square continued.....

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
sparkywig

Re: '67 Square continued.....

Post by sparkywig » 20th January 2018 - 8:47pm

Today was a long day.

Almost every job was done twice.
Bit of a pain to fit the beam with the steering box still connected to the column. But couldn't undo the steering coupler and as it's in good condition I didn't want to damage it.
Dropped the front two splines.
Got the calipers fitted and then I couldn't get the track rod ends tightened, so off came the calipers.
Then realised that the existing track rod ends were too small for the new spindles, so off came the track rods.
Couldn't swap the ends because the threads were seized.
So fitted the other track rods that came with the beam after replacing the rod end rubbers.
Then found out the steering arm would only take the small ends, so the arm had to come off the steering box and be replaced with one that would take the large ends........
Replaced the front brake pipes because they twisted when undoing the old flexi pipes.
The shocks were seized on the old beam, so they had to freed.
Same with the steering damper.
Bled the brakes, bolted up the Teledials and done.

Front doesn't look particularly low, but I'll wait for the suspension to settle before any further adjustment.
And the rear will be sorted when the Beetle gearbox is swapped out.

10 hours to swap beams, install the Porsche hubs and calipers, bleed the brakes and fit the wheels.
Seems quicker when you say it like that.

Many thanks to Nick at CJ Motors for the use of the ramp and his time on a Saturday afternoon/evening.
Last edited by sparkywig on 24th April 2018 - 10:33pm, edited 2 times in total.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st January 2018 - 9:09am

That isn't too painful in the end, at least it was all started and finished in one day! How happy would you be to drag yourself down there today?

And its all gone in with minimal mods, looks like you done well there. How was the test drive?
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 21st January 2018 - 10:37am

broady_6 wrote:
21st January 2018 - 9:09am
That isn't too painful in the end, at least it was all started and finished in one day! How happy would you be to drag yourself down there today?

And its all gone in with minimal mods, looks like you done well there. How was the test drive?
:lol:

It's been known before, especially when the beam adjusters snapped on the bus a few years ago. And again when there were major issues with the CE rear disc kit.

Everything went together well in the end, but no test drive unfortunately, finished too late for that. And I would like to check the tracking and camber first.
But I can say that the brake pedal is now the best it's ever been in my ownership, and that's with leaking rear hub seals.
And this happened....

Went to replace the rubber Friday afternoon, and didn't have the time to repair the window opening with the holdups.
Last edited by sparkywig on 24th April 2018 - 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 26th January 2018 - 10:33pm

Well, it's back home now. Window aperture repaired and new rubber installed.
Definitely need to drop another spline.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 28th January 2018 - 6:22pm

lovely job, jet wash the salt out the arches quick and your all set for summer :)
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 29th January 2018 - 7:22pm

broady_6 wrote:
28th January 2018 - 6:22pm
lovely job, jet wash the salt out the arches quick and your all set for summer :)
I wish.
Next job is to swap out the Beetle gearbox for a Type 3 'box, so I can actually select a gear without the gear stick popping out of the shift rod. And then fit the 944 rear hubs and brakes with a set of 2" adjustable spring plates.

The drive home was wonderful though. I can steer the car with confidence, no wheel shimmy or bump steer and the (front) brakes are spot on.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 29th January 2018 - 8:48pm

They arent huge jobs, easily manageable withing a few weekends. Plenty of time to be ready for summer, Id still go for a jet wash though, salt is a real killer, its nibbled at one or two of my poor cars in the past and made me lots of work.

Glad shes straight and true now, ive got a 944 and know how good the brakes are on that so I bet theyre mega on a nice light type 3!
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 30th January 2018 - 7:11pm

It needs a good clean and polish that's for sure.
I've got 38 days to get all the important jobs done before setting off for Belgium.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th January 2018 - 9:46pm

Ninove? :D
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 31st January 2018 - 2:04pm

Oh yes. Haven’t missed FreddyFiles for 6 years now.

Kai

Post by Kai » 31st January 2018 - 5:32pm

It’s 38 days??? Got Freddy files in the diary. Told the Mrs I’m taking a sabbatical this weekend and will be unavailable for marital life.

Your square is coming long nicely :)

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 3rd February 2018 - 9:28pm

So this morning was spent cleaning this.

Didn't come out too bad in the end.

The hubs, backplates and anti-roll bar brackets are coming off, and then it will almost be ready to put in the back of the square.
Last edited by sparkywig on 24th April 2018 - 10:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 18th February 2018 - 4:56pm

Quick catch up of the last couple of weeks.
I had got to the gearbox swap stage last time I posted.

Well, that didn't happen. It appears that the type 3 gearbox requires a complete rebuild, and new axle tubes, due to corrosion.
So off came the existing type 3 rear brakes, back plates, etc.
No need for the paper gaskets, so new hub O rings and shaft seals were fitted and the 944 rear hubs installed.
Plain sailing so far, straightforward bolt on parts.....

And then a wheel was tried, a 7" teledial, looking good so far.

Notice the rear calipers just lying on the floor in the picture?
Unfortunately that's where they stayed.
I had misplaced the 4 M12 x 1.5 caliper bolts. Nobody in Bristol on a Saturday, and I mean nobody, not even Porsche had a set of 4 caliper or equivalent bolts.

So to make the car mobile and get it out of Nick's way, the rear flexible brake pipes were clamped and the 7" Teledials (now with added tyres) were fitted.

Bugger, a slight case of miscalculation. The 944 brakes widen the track by 30mm either side.

Still, at least it stopped the car moving as I hadn't gotten round to fitting the handbrake cables.
Last edited by sparkywig on 24th April 2018 - 10:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 18th February 2018 - 5:03pm

To get the squareback fully mobile I dragged a couple of scrap wheels out of my store, had tyres fitted and slapped them on the back.

Not sure that they don't suit it better actually..... :lol:

So, now I had to order a set of rear caliper bolts from Porsche and find a set of 6J ET52.3 Teledials in good condition.
The caliper bolts were available and not too bad at £24 delivered.
The Teledials proved elusive until I found these at an independent Porsche dealership just South of Middlesborough.

A deal was done with a set of anthracite D90s I've had in my store for a couple of years,

with a bit of wangling at work I collected the Teledials on Thursday evening after a job in Rotherham.
And I ended up in profit for a change.
Last edited by sparkywig on 24th April 2018 - 10:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 18th February 2018 - 5:13pm

Friday afternoon was spent modifying handbrake cables, test fitting wheels and trimming wheel studs.

Last edited by sparkywig on 24th April 2018 - 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 18th February 2018 - 5:21pm

Saturday morning was spent fitting rear calipers, new rear solid and flexible brake hoses (1302/1303 front flexible brake hoses fit), bleeding brakes, and adjusting handbrake.
An attempt was made to redrill the gearshift rod fixing dimple on Beetle gearbox hockey stick to improve the gearshift and stop the shifter ball popping out of the shiftrod cup, but it just made issues worse. I'll just have to accept the poor shifting for the time being.

And Saturday afternoon swapping tyres and wheels.

Last edited by sparkywig on 18th April 2018 - 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 18th February 2018 - 5:25pm

Next jobs are replacing a handbrake cable, and a bit of welding for the MOT on Thursday.
Oil change and service next weekend, and then new rear springplates and rubbers along with heat exchangers and cables would be nice for the trip to Belgium.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 18th February 2018 - 5:27pm

I was going to ask you whether you had the ET23 or ET52 wheels, but you answered the question by more posts in the meantime
sparkywig wrote:
18th February 2018 - 5:03pm

The Teledials proved elusive until I found these at an independent Porsche dealership just South of Middlesborough.
with a bit of wangling at work I collected the Teledials on Thursday evening after a job in Rotherham.
Up in my neck of the woods, I assume you mean Redline who are only 5 minutes away from me. Wish I had known, I could have offered you a cuppa before the long journey home
:)
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 19th February 2018 - 10:44pm

Can’t comment on the dealer unfortunately.
I’m just happy that they had the wheels that I needed and did me a very good deal with the swap.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 28th February 2018 - 9:04pm

So, MOT day dawned.

Unfortunately MOT man say no.
Brake and rust issues mostly.

- Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.C.1b)
- Brake pedal spongy (3.3.B.1b)
- Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
- Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
- Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded floor (2.4.A.3)
- Nearside Rear Stub axle inappropriately modified incorrect mounting bolts (2.4.A.2)
- Offside Rear Stub axle inappropriately modified incorrect mounting bolts (2.4.A.2)
- unable to inspect front suspension & steering due to vehicle ride height
- unable to carry out rbt brake test as towing eye hits floor & lifts vehicle on o/s

Repairs to framehorns, new rear hub mounting bolts and removal of towing eye.
Going to fit the 944 master cylinder with a remote reservoir and see if that solves the brake issues, along with more handbrake adjustment.

Still, not all bad news.
Managed to get the heat exchangers on and there's still 8 days until I leave for Ninove though....

Last edited by sparkywig on 18th April 2018 - 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 28th February 2018 - 10:15pm

Almost looks like the MOT man doesn't like lowered vehicles, seem like he has done a few failures on things he says he can't inspect.

What's the issues with the "incorrect" stub axle bolts, too long, wrong hardness ?
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 28th February 2018 - 10:39pm

937carrera wrote:
28th February 2018 - 10:15pm
Almost looks like the MOT man doesn't like lowered vehicles, seem like he has done a few failures on things he says he can't inspect.

What's the issues with the "incorrect" stub axle bolts, too long, wrong hardness ?
Too short, my mistake due to rushing and not checking.
The 944 rear hubs are aluminium and thicker than Type 3 rear hubs, so the bolts didn't have sufficient thread in the mounting holes.
Replaced with 8 new longer ones and a dash of loctite.

Be nice to finally get it sorted, nothing seems to have gone to plan so far.

Kai

Post by Kai » 28th February 2018 - 10:52pm

Wow!!! That’s a tough MOT you’ve had. Least you get piece of mind it needs attention and can be sorted correctly.

When I first MOT’s my Notch with those brakes I failed to do up the four bearing cap bolts. Left a small amount of play in the bearing. It was obvious what I had done. The guy testing it said it was an old car and to expect a bit of play :)

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 1st March 2018 - 2:22pm

Kai wrote:
28th February 2018 - 10:52pm
Wow!!! That’s a tough MOT you’ve had. Least you get piece of mind it needs attention and can be sorted correctly.

When I first MOT’s my Notch with those brakes I failed to do up the four bearing cap bolts. Left a small amount of play in the bearing. It was obvious what I had done. The guy testing it said it was an old car and to expect a bit of play :)
One of the reasons I'm against MOT exemption for older cars.
Even with the best will in the world, and the use of a ramp, we all miss something.
But that's another issue.

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 3rd March 2018 - 6:11pm

So, last chance today to get the car sorted ready to leave for Ninove next Friday.

Framehorns and beam mounting repaired, 944 dual circuit master cylinder and remote reservoir installed, brake light switch and tee fitted, and handbrake adjusted.
Had to trim the front bumpstop mount as the wheels and tyres fouled on full lock, and then fit a 3mm spacer to stop the tyres rubbing on the lower trailing arm as well.

Managed to fit a new speedo cable grommet as well. Hopefully one less leak.

Back in for MOT Monday morning.
Fingers crossed. :oops:
Last edited by sparkywig on 18th April 2018 - 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.