1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
broady_6

Re: 1971 VW Type 3 Fastback

Post by broady_6 » 9th April 2018 - 9:50pm

I was going to try it the jig saw way. But as id done that previously with mixed results I decided to go for full pans with small mods at the front and back. Im pretty please the more I look at it. Once the welds are dressed and its epoxyed it wont look bad at all. Just not sure what to do with the anchor plate in the floor. Remove it and weld the hole up. Or just bang a bolt in to fill the hole
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 9th April 2018 - 11:20pm

Tasty looking solution there, you can't beat a bit of ingenuity.
Nice.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 22nd April 2018 - 8:51pm

Thanks for the kind words. Progress has been a little thin recently but this weekend I certainly made up for it.

The other pan front end mod.

Not quite as neat but its all there, bit more work to shape it up will give a decent results.

Ive also fetched another pile of parts back from the powder coaters.

I also got most of the pan furniture blasted rather than spending ages cleaning it up myself.

The kick pans are a little pin holey towards the bottom but its pretty minimal compared the rest of the floor!

That was the last couple of weeks. Now there is the weekend 21/4/18 Im desperate to get the chassis back together and rolling. Having it all in bits is cluttering up my garage and its annoying me.

I then sheeted the ground down with the spine one the trestles and used a sand blasting gun Ive recently bought to speed things up and get into all the fiddly its before the epoxy goes on.

its done a decent job of things like the seat rails.

I blasted the while rear end as well, better than a wire wheel which just polishes it. And any rush edges were just eating the strip discs.

Once complete I gave everything a good clean up and sweep up. Followed by some strip disc action on the spine to remove the paint. Following this was the major surgery, Pans in! I bolted the spine in, followed by each pan being secured in place. Then tacked along each edge and any trimming required.

To give it some strength once I unbolted it, the rear corners got a little reconstruction.

I then got it back on the trestles and started the long jobs of welding them in and modifying the rear of the pans to match the type 3.

The drivers side pan is now in and im happy with it. Id say ive broken the back of it :D
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 29th April 2018 - 8:42pm

sparkywig wrote:
24th April 2018 - 10:18pm
Good work
Ta im hoping the work will end soon :D

Lots has been done this week, I spent every evening doing something and most of the weekend. Once ive got paint on the pan ill take my foot off the gas a bit.

Not a huge number of photos here, lots of tidying up of edges with a file, and reinstating holes ect. Not lots to photographs but lot of progress. First of all I cleaned up the back of the passenger pan half.

Then repaired the IRS clamp plate mount.

The bulk head had suffered somewhat on the drivers side to so that was infilled. Some of my least pretty welding here though.

I had hope to get it in paint this weekend, but as its mid December again, I figure ill wait until its May next week and much warmer.

Once that was complete I though it was time to weld in the stiffener plate for the pedal cluster. Ive had this lot powder coated and im happy with the results.

I have neglected to take a photo of the stiffener but it has been welded in.

This left three things that needed doing. The rear seat kick panels, front seat outer rails and the pan strengtheners need fitting. So step one.

I offered them up and with a bit of trimming to fit the new pan shape dropped straight in.

I spent a good few hours today aligning the outer seat rails, I have had to order a set of the plastic guides, but in order to make sure I have the rails suitably gapped I used some old broken bits of guides roughly installed. I hope this works! I haven't weld the rails in solidly yet, just well tacked.

The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th May 2018 - 12:27pm

My foot is now off the gas, its been a heavy few weeks, I can finally take a breath.

The last piece of the floor puzzle was to fit the strengtheners underneath. As this was spot welded originally I decide I would do the same thing.

I cleaned the floor top and bottom to get the transport paint off. Positioned it underneath and marked out where the holes needed drilling.

Once compete I sat on the floor while the jack preseds the rib from the underside and I welded through the holes. It was then a matter of ctrl+c ctrl+v for the other side.

The final final job was a simple check of the seat runners with the guide on. These arrived in the post on Wednesday. I only had one good original one and a couple of small broken bits. So these were a little expensive but a worth while investment. I popped them on and fitted both seats, they slide up and down wonderfully. So I fully welded in the seat runners.

I then began to dress the welds and the big clean up.

Not the most exciting thing to see so I havent taken loads of photos. But this next bit was jolly exciting. Lots of lovely upol raptor epoxy primer.

I gave it a lot of time in the sunshine. With it being over 20 degrees during the day at the minute is touch dry with in an hour. But I left it 4 hours before turning it over and painting the other side. With that done came the boring job of seam sealing the whole lot. Most of a tiger seal tube used, although it is instantly over paintable I was having a leisurely day, so had a beer in the sun before I laid some top coat on.

Its not show winner, but it isnt the leaky rusty pile of crap it was last month.

The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 7th May 2018 - 3:15pm

Glad to see you have been busy :)

Out of interest, was this hand painted
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 7th May 2018 - 5:04pm

937carrera wrote:
7th May 2018 - 3:15pm
Glad to see you have been busy :)

Out of interest, was this hand painted

I used a spray gun, i find using my hands too messy :lol:
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 20th May 2018 - 10:07pm

All I can do you for here is a series of small jobs, so it wont be as exciting as the last one.

I spent a bit of time stripping the rest of the body down, windows out, parcel shelf out, door catches off. that kinda thing.

The rear side window seals feel very good. they're still soft with no signs of cracking. I think I'm going to reuse them as the trim sits in nicely.

Once id done this I covered the head liner with brown paper just to keep the dirt and dust off.

My next target is to finish the welding. So i took a look at my failed air box repair. I removed it, cleaned the seal off and then offered it back up to find the gaps. Its much easier to see with the body off the pan.

With my previous practice at this, it didnt take long to sort out. I made some more chanel.

And as you can see, this is a much closer fit than the previous iteration.

I sealed an tested. Im preased to report that it worked! The nest was a little in fill between the inner wing and firewall.

In the mean time these arrived, the carpet for the parcel shelf and the vinyl for the A posts as mine are sun burnt brown. Hopefully I havent got much else to order!

I marked out my dash to figure out which holes have been added and modified over the years. It seems I dont have any extra ones, just a few over size. So i Have filled them in and will redrill.

I put the filler flap release mechanism in. It was tricky to work out where in the wing it needed to go. But with some careful measuring and guess work I drilled the holes and it was spot on.

While starting to prep the flap, I found this blue (at the top)

It leaves me a little confused, its the same colour I found on the body. The colour code of the car is 21 which is marina blue. The photos on google of marina blue cars tend to be close to the light blue the car currently is. The other blue so far as I can tell is much closer to gulf blue. But that was only offered on cars in the early 1960s. So what colour is it?
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 20th May 2018 - 11:12pm

The blue on the bottom of the flap looks more like the Baltic Blue on my square.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st May 2018 - 7:56am

sparkywig wrote:
20th May 2018 - 11:12pm
The blue on the bottom of the flap looks more like the Baltic Blue on my square.
Yeah its not dissimilar but its a couple of shades more blue. closer to baby blue I think. Having googled both there isnt a lot in it. But the Baltic blue is 65-67 offering.

The blues which were available when my car was made were
Sapphire blue which is very dark
Marina blue light blue, as per my paint code
Gemini metallic I cant see and metalic
Gentian blue again a bit dark and almost purple

So unless the car had a complete strip down and repaint at some point I don't know why my car appears to have at and early 60s colour
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 21st May 2018 - 8:23am

You could always take the filler flap into your friendly local motor factors and get them to use the colour scanner to identify the shades.

Alternatively, they might have the old colour swatches in a cupboard somewhere
David
1974 412LS Variant

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st May 2018 - 9:15am

937carrera wrote:
21st May 2018 - 8:23am
You could always take the filler flap into your friendly local motor factors and get them to use the colour scanner to identify the shades.

Alternatively, they might have the old colour swatches in a cupboard somewhere
Thats exactly what I planned to do. The folks I use will have all the colour chips and the spectrometer will hopefully give us a name. I want to paint it the top blue, so it doesn't matter what its called ect. Im just curious now as to how what appears to be at 1960s colour is the base colour on my 71 fastback. :D
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 21st May 2018 - 11:43am

It's a '65 fastback with an updated bonnet and the wrong chassis number welded in. :shock:

There, that got you going didn't it :nod:
David
1974 412LS Variant

muddy

Post by muddy » 21st May 2018 - 8:45pm

The floor pan work brings back some memories for me.

Where did you get the seat runners from. All mine are in a million bits.

What are their function? Are they really needed.

I will be fitting my front seats at the weekend.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

muddy

Post by muddy » 21st May 2018 - 8:45pm

Do you still have the chassis number on the tunnel, or was this sandblasted out?
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 21st May 2018 - 9:26pm

The plastic guides? They're from Simon Kelly. He's got them on eBay £10 a guide with two pins. If your seat rails are in the original position then you'll find your seats are very loose and rattly with out the guides. I ran mine with a few pieces I had and drivers seat was always a little loose. I didn't like it but did it feel safe so I always planned to get them. I was just a poor student at the time.

It's still there, would have to be some aggressive sand blasting to remove that!
The sultan of swing

muddy

Post by muddy » 25th May 2018 - 4:32pm

Thanks Broady,

Might get some runners then, don't really want to have a slopy seat.

I noticed Mario sold them too at Type3 HQ, so I'll compare prices.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 28th May 2018 - 9:47pm

Money well spent, I felt more secure just testing them on the drive way :D

Thoughts returned to a couple of modern touches. I wanted a discreet 12v socket and USB charging capabilities. I bought this from ebay for about £6. They are both the size of a normal 12v socket and remove from that plastic plate.

I plan to mount the USB module here on the bonnet hinge recess.

Ive got a couple of thoughts for the 12v socket but I will keep messing to see what I can come up with. I then got back on with learning to silver solder as the new rear valance although much better than the one on the car still have a few pin holes.

I think ill keep practicing!

After getting fed up with that, it was a nice hot dry weekend so I got the body outside and set about it with a strip disc and flap disc. I dressed welds and cleaned the whole front end down, then wiped with thinners, and the tack cloths ready for epoxy.

I have since done a lot more grot removal and it made me realise I wasn't at all happy with the drivers side rear corner. Too many patches and seam sealer was hiding a lot of small holes. So in for a penny in for a pound. I hacked it out.

A roughly shaped repair section.

And a just about fitted piece.

Much happier with that. So that just leave me to silver solder and fit the rear valance. And to continue with the abrasives ready for more epoxy. I think I can have it all in epoxy by the weekend if the weather plays nicely.
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 28th May 2018 - 10:47pm

What epoxy are you going to use, will it have an etch / zinc component ?
David
1974 412LS Variant

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 28th May 2018 - 10:49pm

Already using it. Upol raptor epoxy primer. Salt resistance with corrosion inhibitors built in.

http://www.raptorcoatings.com/uk/en-uk/ ... oxy-primer
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 29th May 2018 - 8:22am

OK, my local factor does Upol stuff.

Over on the T25 forum there's a recommendation for Lechler 29107

http://www.lechler.eu/en/Home/Industry/ ... poxyprimer

I know you've already made your choice, but any thoughts ?
David
1974 412LS Variant

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 29th May 2018 - 9:37am

Seems like similar stuff. The UPOL stuff has a longer wet on wet time and I cant see any salt spray resistance mentioned on that Lechier. But It looks to be more or less the same sort of thing. Dont know what the price is for Leichier but the UPOL is about £35 a litre.

Id check that they do stock the primer, all the stuff ive seen it shops tends to be the urethane load bed liner rather than this proper inhibiting epoxy. I did a fair bit of research into it before I bought. And its performing very well, Ive done the pan and now the front end of the car. Ive had no reactions, its laid down very easily and uniformly.

i wont know if its truely any good for about 3 or 4 years though :D
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 29th May 2018 - 11:43am

broady_6 wrote:
29th May 2018 - 9:37am

i wont know if its truely any good for about 3 or 4 years though :D
That's the reason for the discussion. Someone used another product, and after 3-4 years the reaction with the primer was starting to be visible :(
David
1974 412LS Variant