ultrasonic cleaners

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
broady_6

ultrasonic cleaners

Post by broady_6 » 2nd February 2019 - 7:55pm

Who has experience with them? what parts have you cleaned and what fluids did you use?
The sultan of swing

richtbiscuits

Re: ultrasonic cleaners

Post by richtbiscuits » 2nd February 2019 - 9:14pm

I've used them to clean all sorts of little parts. I've cleaned greasy rubbers in soap, wax-oiled metal parts in solvent and dissolved rust away from small metal parts in dilute acid (followed by a wash in water and heat drying). I find them pretty useful for those fiddly little parts with areas brushes etc can't reach.
'72 412 LE Variant
'73 412 LE Variant
'83 1200 Beetle

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd February 2019 - 9:56pm

Rubbers in soap. Great idea! I will be putting that to work straight away :D
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 2nd February 2019 - 10:03pm

Well done Broady!
Brilliant idea for a discussion thread !
What brands/sizes of tanks are You guys using?/ Would recommend?

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd February 2019 - 10:46pm

I dont know where I get my ideas from :D

I bought this chinese thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3L-Digita ... 2749.l2649

When it worked it did exactly what it was supposed too. It didnt take long to heat up the 3L tank, which will take and part of a solex 32 carb. And 20-30 minutes of vibrations in this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasonic-C ... 2749.l2649

But after a week and around 4 hours of use it failed to vibrate. The control panel still worked, I could heat the tank and set a timer, but it never started vibrating. The company asked for a video as proof of failure, which i sent, and they agreed it was faulty. I asked for a replcement for a full refund and thats where it got hard, they kept offering a part refund so I could pay someone to fix it. It took two weeks of getting quite angry with them and explaining the law states that they must refund or replace the item, not least because they had agreed it was faulty! They did eventually agree to send a new one from china, which I am still waiting for, so I wont give them a clean bill of health till I hold it in my hands.

After talking to someone at work they said they would be interested to have a look, more for curiosity than anything. But hes an electronics engineer by trade, he suspects that a transitors shorted out and blown a capacitor. If thats all it is then hes expecting £3 and half an hours soldering should sort it.

I knew I was taking a risk with cheap chinese stuff, but I took it with the expectation that replacement would be just as easy as it would with any other faulty item bought in this country! At least im a stubbon git and wouldnt take no for an answer. Lets hope the replacement turns up.
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 3rd February 2019 - 10:39am

So do you literally chuck the parts in & they come out sparkly? or is further manual effort needed?

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 3rd February 2019 - 11:30am

They just need a wash down in warm water and drying with a fan heater or in front of a stove ect once theyre done. I did nothing other than that
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 8th February 2019 - 6:14pm

Although you might have guessed that I've been toying with the idea for quite a while, I blame broady entirely for my decision this morning to bite the bullet & buy one!
There's so little difference in price between the 6L & 10L versions that it made sense to buy the bigger one!
I may have been slightly influenced too by the fact that my other half is going to be away on a business trip when it arrives, so need never know that I've bought it & that I've diverted funds from my new lathe fund !

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 8th February 2019 - 6:22pm

Entirely will to absorb all blame :D
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 9th April 2019 - 10:58am

Refunded at last! With a bigger replacement on the way :D
The sultan of swing