Hello & Type 3 values?

Questions and general discussion on all things Type 3 & 4
carlosfandango

Hello & Type 3 values?

Post by carlosfandango » 7th July 2021 - 10:58am

Hi, I've just joined the forum, thank you for adding me!

I've been searching for an early Sqaureback for a while now, browsing for past 2 years, and seriously looking for 6 months, and now viewing a couple of cars and actually into negotiations on one!

I used to own a RHD '67 Fastback in 1996 to 2002 as my all year round daily, loved that thing!

Prices have obviously changed over the years, my Fastback was £1250 back then and asked for very little during the years I used it and took it around the country. I will post a picture of it soon, maybe someone here knows where it is now.

Anyway, back to 2021, I wondered if there was a consensus from the people that own them about values on the early -69 cars especially. They appear to be very sporadic and wonders what justifies the higher values. 'm happy to invest in something good, but don't want to lose money long term.

The car I'm currently looking at is an early shaepe 1969 1600 Fuel Injected Automatic FI in the US. Body and paint are all original, it appears totally solid and unmolested. Interior has been completely retrimmed inc. headliner, and the engine has been well maintained. New wheels & tyres, all chrome is excellent, new seals, new dash pad, all electrics working, it really is a nice car....but the price is high at £17k. For a sorted original car, does this sound about right. It also has lots of accessories like full length rack etc.

I'm not buying to invest, but to have a usable family classic that I can enjoy. The FI system does concern me a little, but I've had lots of videos of the car running and idling and it seems really well sorted.

Your thoughts and advice are most welcome!

Carl
Carl

jmarkha1

Re: Hello & Type 3 values?

Post by jmarkha1 » 7th July 2021 - 12:28pm

welcome to the forum Carl.
17k for a sorted car sounds fair - its a big chunk of cash.
I bought my square in 2010 for 2650 - a US 69 auto with 34k miles.
But I have probably put 15 into it.
I cannot see values going down any time soon - particularly for dry state cars that havent been pulled about too much.
Prices for early cars seem about on par for 'late' cars now - funnily late t3s are prob rarer but most prefer the earlies.
There is a 67 US car available on the samba and it looks very solid but for 8k its just a starting point...
let us know how you get on - we love pictures :-)
The variant Project

carlosfandango

Post by carlosfandango » 7th July 2021 - 12:37pm

hi @jmarkha1, thanks for the reply. The car is actually on the Samba too... link below:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2479085

You'll see it's got the patina look, but I have a ton of photos for all the spots of concern and everything looks good. I won't be using all year like my old Fastback which did get a bit rotten of course...but I was young and reckless!!! :crybaby:

I really love this car, and the seller has been awesome; patient, responsive and seemingly honest. He's made a fair few videos specifically for me, and I'm just hesitating on the basis of cost of car plus shipping etc.

But my haunch is this is great car, with some originality and a look that I'm after so hopefully little to spend (keeping some back for just in case scenario!).

Wish me luck!
Carl

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 7th July 2021 - 1:46pm

looks like a goodun and lots of nice add ons - the coco mats, seat covers - it all looks good.
If you ever wanted to repaint it would be straightforward but it wears its age very well - good luck but dont think you'll need it tbh
The variant Project

carlosfandango

Post by carlosfandango » 12th July 2021 - 12:08pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'm pressing ahead on the sale now! Gulp!!!
Will post pictures when it arrives in the UK!
Carl