any idea if bug parts will if late fastback??????

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
the_hotrod_freak

any idea if bug parts will if late fastback??????

Post by the_hotrod_freak » 6th May 2007 - 2:04pm

:lol: hi yer all. im new to the forum. been after a t3 for ages. lost track for bit with watercool stuff. anyway now have a 72 fasty. still waiting for it to turn up. bought on ebay for under 600 dont know if any yer seen it. its the orange one that been on ebay a couple of weeks? I'II get to the point. have lots to ask

Will beetle front seats fit a late fastback?
can you fit bettle headlamps and
do beetle bumpers fit?
And how do yer fit a beetle beam (as i have a chopped bug beam).
also is it easy to fit an early bonnet and can you buy grp flip fronts or bonnets.
can you get a bra for the late fasty.

any info or ideas would help cheers

Andy

Re: any idea if bug parts will if late fastback??????

Post by Andy » 7th May 2007 - 1:27pm

Um, pretty much no to the following:

Will beetle front seats fit a late fastback?
can you fit bettle headlamps and
do beetle bumpers fit?
And how do yer fit a beetle beam (as i have a chopped bug beam).
also is it easy to fit an early bonnet.

Not 100% sure on seats, type 3 seats did change year to year and I don't have a '72.
I do know you can make early type 3 bumpers fit a late type 3 if you want to change the look.

As for car bra's, the ones I've seen were custom made, but never chased them myself.
Good luck on your purchase though, they are great cars to own and drive!
Richard

the_hotrod_freak

Post by the_hotrod_freak » 7th May 2007 - 5:59pm

Thanks.
I've mangaed to get one t3 seat for free dont what year and yet to collect? Im going to take some measurements off some bug runners to see whats the difference. mmm when i get the car i will see what i can make fit from other vw's.

my ideas are poss fitting porsche 911 lights.i know a blue squareback with 911 front lights?
chaning the master brake cyc to a porsche 924.
and i like some the early bumpers

Andy

Post by Andy » 8th May 2007 - 1:55pm

Sounds promising on the seat!
Don't know Porsche stuff.
I know of a late type 3 with early bumpers fitted, but can;t find the pictures unforunately. It looks quite effective. He also shaved the indicator lenses so they did not stick out so far, it looked quite effective, and not a huge amount of work.

t3madman

Post by t3madman » 8th May 2007 - 3:49pm

Andy wrote:Sounds promising on the seat!
Don't know Porsche stuff.
I know of a late type 3 with early bumpers fitted, but can;t find the pictures unforunately. It looks quite effective. He also shaved the indicator lenses so they did not stick out so far, it looked quite effective, and not a huge amount of work.
Ive done this with mine, the rears virtually bolt straight on, the fronts need an adapter bolting to the bumper bracket.

As for seats, I fitted early Polo seats in to my fastback, all that needed doing was to slightly widen the track of the rear runners.

I will have to dig out some photos.

Editor

Post by Editor » 9th May 2007 - 12:44am

A couple of answers:-

Beetle lights are the same up to 73 Beetle. I think after that, Beetles went to the sort of sealed beam (lens and reflector joined but still with separate bulbs). These do fit onto the three lugs in the wing, but you need the later rims as the adjustment holes are surplus on them - I guess you could glue the screws (or just screw-heads) in the hole to look right, though.

There are two sorts of Type 3 seat. From May '72 they had a seat with plastic side cheeks which have a different support rail arrangement, more like the later w/c cars.

I would be wary of using a master cylinder designed for a car with front engine on a car with a rear engine; the weight distribution is very different and brakes are pretty important. Are you envisaging fitting rear discs to replace the drums?

I'm sure the Scrapheap Challenge guys could fit a Beetle front axle to a Type 3 - what do you hope to achieve doing it?

the_hotrod_freak

Post by the_hotrod_freak » 9th May 2007 - 10:15pm

I know mk1 golf headlamps will fit straight on to 69 onwards bug. so will give it a go when i get the car.
With 924 master cyc i've used it with stock brakes on my old bug but will try with caution. as for the bug beam it's just ive got a chopped beam laying about (looking for a use). Want to keep the restoration cost to a min (and using stuff from my shed) but have a usable classic.

Please post all yer tryed mods and stuff. ;)

Type1234

Post by Type1234 » 11th June 2020 - 7:56pm

Hi, Do you still have the fastback? Did you sort out the seats and what was the registration of your Fasty?

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 11th June 2020 - 9:12pm

Unfortunately that user hasnt been on the forum since May 07, 2008
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 12th June 2020 - 7:41am

Early 90's Scirroco seats will fit with a bit of ingenuity

As they stand they are about 15 mm narrower than the existing rails fitted in the later 72's onwards

when VW changed the older toothed sliding rails. So you would either have to form additioinal blocks to make

up the difference either side, which is what i did.

Or make the width of the legs of the seat backs wider by re fabbing the existing.