Late spindles early calipers

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
satts

Late spindles early calipers

Post by satts » 13th August 2021 - 11:54am

I posted this in an different thread but as it’s causing me pain I thought I’d elevate it to it’s own thread.

I’m trying to revert my fasty front suspension from T1 to T3. I’ve been collecting the parts, however it turns out that the spindles I have look to be off a later model (post 71) but the calipers are earlier (pre 71). The difference is the distance between the bolt holes, 76mm on the later and 56mm on the earlier.

Googling the problem and talking to Heritage it seems that it’s very difficult (and expensive) to source either later calipers or earlier spindles.

Any help appreciated. Does anybody have some suitable parts kicking about that they’ll be happy to sell!?

BTW I assume the spindles are interchangeable? I have no idea what year car the beam came off.

Plan B is to revert back to a T1 set-up

purplepeter

Re: Late spindles early calipers

Post by purplepeter » 13th August 2021 - 10:35pm

It's worth an email to these guys https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/VW/Varian ... s/BCA0280G

I Can probably sort you out a pair of late calipers, but probably not for a3 weeks or so

If anyone else wants to jump in sooner, please feel free!

satts

Post by satts » 14th August 2021 - 9:35am

Hi Peter,

I called the brakes guys but they don’t do them anymore, just referb kits.

I’m stuck at the moment so waiting isn’t a problem - although I am also looking into the T1 beam options. Just wasn’t what I wanted to do right now.

DevonNotch

Post by DevonNotch » 29th August 2021 - 8:51am

Hi there, I have some late spindles with the 76mm calliper size, also a set of callipers and discs. am in Honiton Devon.
1972 VW Notchback
1978 VW Beetle Last Edition no. 164
1979 VW Bay Window Westfalia campervan

satts

Post by satts » 30th August 2021 - 9:23am

Thanks Devon, I’ve seen your PM and replied to it.