Auto Engine

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
mick1800

Auto Engine

Post by mick1800 » 20th November 2021 - 3:54pm

Hello, I have the chance to buy a twin carb engine from an automatic T3. I fancy having a go at rebuilding and upgrading it but don't want to mess about my original engine. So my question is: Other than the flywheel/torque converter on the rear of the engine are there any other differences between an auto and a manual engine? I ask as there would be no point buying it if it will not fit my manual 1965 car (with a flywheel change). Thanks

broady_6

Re: Auto Engine

Post by broady_6 » 28th November 2021 - 8:31pm

I beleive the distrubutor is different as well, an easy thing to change. Otherwise I think its all interchangable.
The sultan of swing

mick1800

Post by mick1800 » 5th December 2021 - 11:19am

Thanks for the reply.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 9th December 2021 - 11:09am

I don’t believe there is any difference to the Engine itself, only the Ancilliaries i.e. nothing that can’t be swapped over from your Engine in a Manual Car. Torque Converter and Drive Plate ( Flex Plate ) are the most obvious. I believe the Starter Motor on an Automatic is heavier duty than a Manual. The Throttle Linkage is different due to the Kick Down Switch arrangement. The Carburettors are different, due to an extra Vacuum Hose Connection on the Left Carburettor and little Valve thingy on the Throttle Body of both Carburettors that I think has something to do with getting the Engine to Tickover when in Gear and the car is stationary. There’s also a 1/2” or so Manifold Connection for the Vacuum Hose to the Auto Transmission ( to do with Changing Gear under Load ? ) and yes the Distributor is different. Don’t think the Manual versions have a Dual Vacuum Unit ? so there’s one Vacuum Connection less. The Automatic has one Vacuum Hose to the Left Inlet Manifold, and the one to the Left Carburettor at the point of the Throttle Butterfly.

mick1800

Post by mick1800 » 9th December 2021 - 8:56pm

Thank you s.unsworth. More differences than I thought and it would not have been so straightforward to use the Carbs, which is one reason I wanted it. Anyway I've bought a manual engine today as it happens

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 10th December 2021 - 4:27pm

I think everything on the Engine from an Automatic could be adapted / swapped to work on a Manual Transmission Car. Not even sure the difference in the Carburettors would be any problem. I am just aware of the differences because we have owned our 1972 Type 3 Automatic Twin Carb. Variant since 1988

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 12th December 2021 - 5:22pm

The only other physical difference in the auto case is a cutout towards the back of the case to allow access to the flexplate bolts. Its probably the most universal case you can get :-)
The variant Project