'71 Fastback fuel gauge

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
shauncwalsh

'71 Fastback fuel gauge

Post by shauncwalsh » 11th May 2022 - 10:44am

Having sorted out a problem of the float in the fuel gauge sender unit sticking I now have another fuel gauge related problem.
Whilst driving along, if I go over a bump the fuel gauge will fluctuate wildly, sometimes sticking at empty, a tap on the dashboard above the gauge will bring it back to the correct position. I suspect a dodgy connection behind the gauge but how do you get it out to check. The fusebox is immediately underneath the gauge otherwise it would have been possible to reach up behind the dashboard.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Shaun

broady_6

Re: '71 Fastback fuel gauge

Post by broady_6 » 11th May 2022 - 10:23pm

Youll need to disconnect the battery, the lower the fuse box so that you can get your arm up to the gauge. It has two spring clips. from the front push the gauge into its pod, with the hand at the back squeeze the two spring clips in and then the gauge should withdraw through the front of the dash.

Easier to write than it is to do.
The sultan of swing

veedweeb

Post by veedweeb » 12th May 2022 - 8:32am

I was having similar problems with mine and I found that the background of the gauge had come a bit loose and the needle was rubbing on it. It meant disassembling the entire gauge but as long as you're careful and have a tiny screwdriver it's not too bad.
Steve.

Club member 2268

1972 Squareback
1963 Turbo WBX powered Beetle
2000 Mexican Beetle 'Sedan Clasico'

shauncwalsh

Post by shauncwalsh » 12th May 2022 - 12:16pm

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping to be able to remove the gauge without having to mess with the fusebox. Oh well, time to get the Haynes manual out I suppose.

veedweeb

Post by veedweeb » 12th May 2022 - 2:48pm

shauncwalsh wrote:
12th May 2022 - 12:16pm
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping to be able to remove the gauge without having to mess with the fusebox. Oh well, time to get the Haynes manual out I suppose.
It's just 2 screws that hold the fusebox in. Undo those and it'll drop out of the way. Just make sure the battery is disconnected in case any of the terminals touch the metal dash. You don't need to disconnect anything else in the fusebox itself.
Steve.

Club member 2268

1972 Squareback
1963 Turbo WBX powered Beetle
2000 Mexican Beetle 'Sedan Clasico'