hello there

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Cornwallvw1

hello there

Post by Cornwallvw1 » 15th August 2006 - 11:13am

:p Just wanted tyo say a quick hi there to everyone. recently bought a 1987/68(not sure yet) r/h drive square back for complete body off resto, it's the first type 3 i have owned but looking forward to the challange. body it currently off and the floorpan is almost ready for its fist sand blasting. just a quick question, is there a difference in the front wing style between early type 3's and late type 3's. only 1 came with the car and i just want to make sure it's correct. all help will be greatly recieved.
cheers and gone, tom richards.

Editor

Wings

Post by Editor » 15th August 2006 - 6:15pm

For the short-nose (pre-70) Type 3s, there are quite a few differences to the front wings - with and without parking lights, bullet or wrap-round indicators, even subtle differences in the pressing to miss the bumper corner ISTR.

These differences depend as much on the trim level as the age. They are the same basic pressing, so you may need to fill in a cut-out or cut one to match the other, depending.

I hope this isn't all baloney - I'm a 70-on guy myself, though we did have a new '64 in the family years ago.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 16th August 2006 - 4:50pm

I think the question was how to tell a late wing from an early one.

Mmm... If you only have the one in front of you and you can't try it on the car then it's not easy to describe, but they are massivly different at the front.
I would sat if the slot for the bumper iron is closer to 2" than 3" then you have an early wing.
As Dave rightly says there are lots of derivitives, but the only thing you need to beware of really is if the RH wing has a fuel filler hatch or not.

If your Squareback is a 67 then the fuel filler will be under the bonnet so the wing shouldn't have a filler flap. also it will have "Swing Axle" rear suspension that pivots only at the inboard end. All 68 Type 3's have a fuel filler on the RH wing, and have IRS rear suspension, with trailing links and drive shafts with CV joints. Also the dash had a bit of an update for 68, the knobs are like later beetle ones (black rubber edged) 67's are hard black plastic. The fresh air venting has rotary knobs unlike a 67 which has sliding controls.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mike.

Cornwallvw1

Post by Cornwallvw1 » 17th August 2006 - 10:37am

cheers for the help guy's. well the dash has got the rubber knobs and the wing does have a fuel filler cap on the r/h side wing which is inkeepng with the fuel tank having a filler neck, but i dont think i have irs rear suspension? well at least i know that the wing is correct. thanks

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 17th August 2006 - 10:42am

My error :oops:
IRS came in for 69 model year.

Mike.