Newbie Type 3 owner

Post your Type 3 Photo URLs here
spannermonkey

Newbie Type 3 owner

Post by spannermonkey » 1st September 2013 - 5:10pm

Well, after lurking and reading a few bits and pieces I've done it and got myself a T3 Squareback - have been beaming about it for days :D

I haven't actually seen it yet, but will hopefully see it in a couple of weeks time. In the meantime it's going to have a full mechanical re-furb and then I'm hoping to get it back home around November and then start driving it. So, er, haven't seen the car, let alone driven it, and will start driving it in time for Winter. What could possibly go wrong?!? This HAS to be the best way to buy any car :lol:

I've only got a link to it at the moment, but will be taking plenty of pics when I see it. Looking forward to learning more about the car - it's hopefully a long term ownership for me. The body work looks very good (I've had plenty of photos sent), so being waxoyled straight away to help preserve it for the future. Very pleased about this :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Thanks for reading

Creationblue

Re: Newbie Type 3 owner

Post by Creationblue » 1st September 2013 - 6:05pm

Welcome along, I only picked my Sq up last week and have yet to drive it as its having some MOT work done. Ill look forward to seeing how u get on, what are your plans?
Way out west

http://cjmotors.info

http://www.solutionselectrical.co.uk

'67 Square
'70 Earlybay

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 1st September 2013 - 6:17pm

Thanks. Nothing is set in stone yet, but certainly having it lowered. I need to choose some wheels first. It was on turtle backs, which I can get from the previous owner - so that's an option. Also looking at Fooks and quite like gasburners! So no idea really!!! :? Also considering a narrow beam and proper slam, but will save that for next year I think. Interior will need a customer job too. The car looks to be very straight and original though, so want to make sure anything we do to it is reversible for the future.

What about you?

Creationblue

Post by Creationblue » 1st September 2013 - 7:25pm

spannermonkey wrote:Thanks. Nothing is set in stone yet, but certainly having it lowered. I need to choose some wheels first. It was on turtle backs, which I can get from the previous owner - so that's an option. Also looking at Fooks and quite like gasburners! So no idea really!!! :? Also considering a narrow beam and proper slam, but will save that for next year I think. Interior will need a customer job too. The car looks to be very straight and original though, so want to make sure anything we do to it is reversible for the future.

What about you?
Liking the sound of that 8)

For now I'm gonna refurb all the running gear, replace the sills, repair the front wings, carefully blend some paint then polish the hell out of the OG paint, it's already lowered so probably gonna paint the steels 2-tone and run without centre caps.
Way out west

'67 Square
'70 Earlybay

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 3rd September 2013 - 10:39pm

Sounds good matey - enjoy! I'm hoping to see mine early next week now - will post pics following that

Creationblue

Post by Creationblue » 19th September 2013 - 9:12pm

spannermonkey wrote:Sounds good matey - enjoy! I'm hoping to see mine early next week now - will post pics following that
Got it yet? Not pic = it didn't happen ;)
Way out west

'67 Square
'70 Earlybay

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 28th December 2013 - 12:55pm

Sorry, not been on here for a while. I saw the beast in October, and love it! We're having building work at home at the moment, which means my double garage has been knocked down and replaced with, er, a single garage?!? Apparently we needed the space to extend our kitchen :|

Anyway, the result is that Paul has kindly agreed to hang on to the car for me until my garage is up and complete, probably February at this rate. Meanwhile work has been progressing very well on the car. It's had a full mechanical re-furb, including brakes/ fuel lines/ heater controls/ couple of electrical gremlins sorted etc. It's also been lowered a little, and we've had the original turtle backs re-furbed and fitted. It looks awesome (to me anyway!) and I am pleased as punch with it. Next week I'll be speaking with Paul to work out an interior re-fit. I'm thinking something that is broadly 'period correct', but with a bit of a twist. I've got a few photos that Paul has sent me by text, so will see if I can get them up on here somehow, as well as some pics he has put up on his facebook page.

Any ideas re interior will be welcome 8)

Creationblue

Post by Creationblue » 28th December 2013 - 4:51pm

Mate your so wrong about the garage :lol:

Car on the other hand sounds spot on, get a photobucket account and upload the pictures then copy & paste the IMG code straight on to here and like magic they will appear 8)

I'd get some TMI covers and a carpet set from Spirit of the 50s then job done IMO

Just
Way out west

'67 Square
'70 Earlybay

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 29th December 2013 - 11:09pm

You're damn right about the garage! Right, going to try and post some pics now....

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 29th December 2013 - 11:22pm

Hopefully this is a picture of the rear view of the car - with turtle backs in the back before they were re-furbed.

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 29th December 2013 - 11:23pm

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 29th December 2013 - 11:24pm

A couple of more recent shots now it has the wheels re-furbed and fitted, been lowered a tad etc...

Creationblue

Post by Creationblue » 30th December 2013 - 2:09pm

Love it! Those detailed TBs look cool as! Gonna look mint cruising the streets 8)
Way out west

'67 Square
'70 Earlybay

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 31st December 2013 - 1:28pm

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 31st December 2013 - 3:01pm

looks great - really good stance with the TBs and the over-riders...
The variant Project

Ozzyrules

Post by Ozzyrules » 26th January 2014 - 6:59pm

Hello there, loving the stance, I'm getting bogged down with all the possible combinations of tire sizes and splines dropped and was just wondering what your setup is as it looks spot on and how you find the ride. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers and great looking square by the way :)

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 16th March 2014 - 9:01am

Hi - sorry, not been on here for ages again! I've not driven the car yet, been too busy with work and doing a big extension at home, so I've left it with Type3 Detectives to do some interior work in the meantime. We've got some 80's Porsche seats going in (tombstones) which will be refurbished and recovered in black 'n white houndstooth - same for rear seat too; also getting the headlining replaced and a new steering wheel - again, probably Porsche of some type. I've got an old '58 356A and had 911s before and just love their interiors, so wanted something similar in the square. All being well I may be getting the car later this month. Funnily enough it was used in VolksWorld last month as the "Type 3 buyers guide" car and the editor got to drive it - I've spoken with him on email and apparently it drives ok! :D

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 16th March 2014 - 9:03am

Ozzyrules - sorry, didn't really answer your question. Best thing to do is call Paul at Type 2/ 3 Detectives - he has done all the work for me. I really haven't got a clue! :lol:

Wireless

Post by Wireless » 16th March 2014 - 8:17pm

spanner monkey, the avatar you've selected is actually a Type 4 Variant, not a Squareback, minor point I know, just my OCD kicking in again...at least the tourettes is under control...
73 de Wayne M5WJF

'73 Type 4 412 LS Variant (UK Reg '74)

bigbadbadge

Post by bigbadbadge » 23rd March 2014 - 9:39pm

That's a lovely square, loving the Turtlebacks, would love a set of those myself. Have you got to drive her yet?

Chris

Ozzyrules

Post by Ozzyrules » 10th April 2014 - 2:59pm

Thanks for your help, ive just discovered there are inner and outer splines which can both be played around with. Now I'm even further away from making a decision. I may still give him call unless anybody else has strong views on the subject, with a picture perhaps. Thanks anyway

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 25th April 2014 - 7:56am

Wireless - oops! Many thanks! I think I went for the colour 8)

spannermonkey

Post by spannermonkey » 25th April 2014 - 7:58am

Thanks Chris - no, not driven it yet! We're doing a pretty big building project at home which is taking most of my time (and money!), but I think I'll be getting up there in the next couple of weeks to collect it. At the moment Type 2 Detectives are fitting out the interior for me - we've gone for some Porsche tombstone seats, re-trimming back bench to match, and new headlining - so it should be nice and tidy when it arrives 8)

bigbadbadge

Post by bigbadbadge » 28th April 2014 - 8:07pm

Crikey fella, you are more patient than I, I could not take the wait!!! Good luck with your building project.