help and advice greatly recieved

For Type 3 and 4 restoration projects, interesting history, adventure trips etc
morphthedigger

help and advice greatly recieved

Post by morphthedigger » 22nd May 2010 - 7:59am

hi guys am new to this am learning so be patient
have justed aquired a 1970s type 3 notchback and not really a clue about it registered new feb1970 and one owner from new who bought it in 2008
i wanted something as a project to have some fun with over the summer
it does require quite a lot doing to it including welding of the floor and where the body has rusted and its been filled the previous owner has ratted it up and stuck some stickers on to it
not really a clue what its worth??? mot till 19th august
i need pointing in the right direction with it as i love the look of the car and one of the selling points was that the number plate ACH is the same as my initials(maybe we were meant to be together!!!)
it seems to be totally standard and complete apart from it has been lowered. i have removed the stickers just to tidy it up and painted th areas, a local guy who works with old vws is going to get the engine running smoothly as its popping banging and running rough atmo
any advice greatly recieved many thanks tony

Editor

Re: help and advice greatly recieved

Post by Editor » 23rd May 2010 - 3:24pm

What are you expecting trouble with? They're good cars to enjoy driving when any problems are ironed out. Twin carb or Fuel injection?

Probably best to ask when you find something you can't fix or not dure how - someone here will know how it's done. Look through this project forum - there are some seriously talented body guys in the group.
Dave.

morphthedigger

Post by morphthedigger » 23rd May 2010 - 8:58pm

hi its a 1600l twin carb the car has done 66000approx oil looks pretty clean but the guy i bought it from had only had it 6months and he didnt really know much about it.engine has no noise so think its a question of getting the carbs sorted
he had pulled all th carpets out and corrosion inner sills,hole rear of drivers seat and a hole on the inner wing by the pedals.
it has been undersealed all over so there may be a little more to reveal!!!
probably for starters to patch and get it useable and enjoy it till mot in august???
tony

Editor

Post by Editor » 25th May 2010 - 3:13am

Make sure they sit on the manifolds OK - try rocking the carbs or spraying some of that starting fluid around the base. If it runs faster there's a leak. Check up in the technical forum how to tune up the carbs. it's not too hard, and the balance pipes mean you haven't got to be spot on.
Dave.

morphthedigger

Post by morphthedigger » 28th May 2010 - 8:56am

hi had i have had a fantastic guy come out and set up the engine and its now running sweetly . mr fish douglas i thank you
next step to look at the floor as it is in need of some welding.
would like to come along to any meetings / weekends if any one has info let me know thanks
tony